Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blockbuster opinions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Still getting slow deliveries here, averaging about 1 per week by mail if that, and that is only if I watch the disc immediately and get it back in the mail the same day. I also noticed that they closed the local Blockbuster store so there goes the in-store exchanges. I read in my new Home Theater magazine that Dish has closed 33% of the stores, they had originally stated that they would close 10%. I think they are kind of turning this into a "Netflix-like" service with slower delivery and less selection. Guess I cant complain since it isn't actually costing me anything out of pocket, but the service has only gotten worse since it started.

+1, "Slow deliveries", now no deliveries...since it's free I should not complain...I suppose, but it is frustrating.
Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Nevermind. Answered my own question.

#43 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, BB is getting worse! I mailed a DVD back on 5/4, and nothing has been mailed back. It doesn't show as "out" in my queue, nor received in history. I sent an email to BB and got this response (they were quick at responding):

It appears that the title "The Help (2011)" was received successfully at USPS and it is currently on its way to our distribution center. Once our distribution center receives it, an email confirmation will be sent regarding its return. There are some instances that you will not receive an email confirmation that we have received your return, as we know that occasionally things may get lost in transit, however, this will not adversely affect your account. Once your rentals are checked in, we generally ship your next selection within 1-2 business days.

They've been good up to this one, usually equal to or 1 day behind NF. So far all good disks, but I don't use Blueray. But I may start once my p60st50 gets here!

#44 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

11 days after I mailed to them, they have sent to me. By the time I get it will have been two weeks turn around time. I live in Nor Cal, the Dist. Center is in Sacramento Ca.....a two day USPS normally. My queue list are not just released movies.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#45 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Think of the service as a "Disc of the month" club. :-)

#46 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

I am reminded of the saying "You get what you pay for." We aren't paying anything extra so we shouldn't be surprised that we aren't receiving much.

#47 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think we pay $10/month for this but it's entangled with some TV channel package, so it's hard to say. Not everyone gets the blockbuster 1-disc offer. It is bundled with something to make the package attractive.

#48 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

I am very satisfied with the 1 at a time service. We are serviced by the Worcester, MA hub and turnaround is usually 3 days. I get mostly top 100 choices, nothing new release usually.

#49 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I am very satisfied with the 1 at a time service. We are serviced by the Worcester, MA hub and turnaround is usually 3 days. I get mostly top 100 choices, nothing new release usually.

I am serviced by the same hub, mail them back on Monday receive new one on Wednesday. Never had a problem receiving one or being late. Also get new releases.:D
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#50 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Glad you guys in Mass. are getting good service, I am having minimum 5 day turnaround, usually closer to a week.

#51 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

My first cracked disk... have had Netflix for 6 months, BB for 2 months... my 1st cracked disk is NETFLIX. BB is getting VERY slow, so far 8 days, and just got shipment notification yesterday, hopefully see a disk Monday. Dropping NF (once they send a replacement), just having a hard time filling up 2 Queues, happy enough with BB.

#52 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Newest wrinkle. I have now done two 'in store exchanges" of my mail discs. I returned the disks but the returns have not shown up in my queue. First time it happened I called the store two days later (when I happened to check my queue) and they said it was not checked in properly (new employee) but they remembered me returning it and they corrected it and the return then showed up a few minutes later. This last time I returned the disc yesterday (just about 24 hours ago) and it is still showing "out" in my queue. I called the store and, once again, she remembered me returning it and checked the computer and it showed as returned. She said to give it another hour or two and if it was still showing out to call back and she would call the mail service to report the "glitch".

Once again I say "WTF?!?!?!"

This is NOT good customer service!
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

#53 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

I called the customer support number on the Blockbuster@home Dish website and talked to a CSR, He had not clue as to what was going on and just kept trying to sell me up to a two disc @home service. I asked why would I want that when one disk at a timewas not working right! He then asked if my reciever was connected to the internet and I told him that both of them were so he asked why I just didn't download. I told him my ISP (AT&t) has data caps and so does the other broadband provider in my area (Comcast). He said he never heard of such a thing (from his accent he sounded like he was in Eastern Europe). He then asked if Time Warner was in my area (WTF!?). I told him no. We used to have Time Warner but when they left and Comcast took over it was when I switched to Dish and have been with Dish ever since. (Have been with Comcast in the past in another town and was VERY unhappy with the bad customer service and terrible cable.) Why in the world would a Dish CSR ask me about a competing cable company?:nono2::nono2::nono2:

Bottom line, he was NO use at all about my questions or problems with Blockbuster@home.:nono::nono:
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

#54 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

This is from http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200769

I seriously doubt if Blockbuster (Dish is not involved in the operation) ever sends out a damaged disc. I strongly suspect the USPS mishandled the discs. Another poster on another forum received an empty envelope courtesy of the USPS. He tried to get Dish to help. No luck. The DVD did not show up in his At Home list so there was no Report a Problem link on his queue page. He called the Blockbuster number below and they explained the problem and promptly sent him another copy.

I got it from the Blockbuster site. It worked for the other poster.

• Sunday - Thursday 8:00AM - 8:00PM Central
  • Friday - Saturday 8:00AM - Midnight Central
For questions about Blockbuster By Mail, Blockbuster On Demand, or Online Purchases, please call us at 1-866-692-2789

I was able to break out of a loop when Dish/Blockbuster was sending me broken discs again and again by calling this number. Just hit the buttons until you get to an operator and tell them you are a Dish customer. -- when I called, the Dish service was not listed in the phone system, but customer support was aware of the program.

#55 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

I just discovered that even though it says unlimited in store exchanges each month the way it works is you can only exchange a mailed disc for one in the store and then you have to return THAT disc to the store wait for the next mail disc to be sent out before you can return THAT one to the store. I was told that they have to scan my mail envelope each time and that I cannot return a store disc and get another one from the store.
WTF?:confused::rolleyes:

A while ago, I asked a BB person about this. They said that in the past, you could keep exchanging discs at the physical store. But then they changed it. You can now only exchange one mailed disc for one store disc. Another "positive" development in the program !! :lol:

#56 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

We no longer have any local stores so it is kind of a moot point with me. I drop a disk in the mail at the post office on a Monday. They receive the disk and acknowledge with an email saying it is received on Tuesday. They send an email saying they are shipping the next disk on Thursday. I receive that disk possibly on Friday but most of the time on Saturday. Pretty much figures out to 1 disk a week or 4 per month. Clearly not as fast as Netflix but it works.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#57 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

We stopped our Netflix DVD service as we were using it almost exclusively for streaming. And we really enjoy the streaming service - a ton of movies and older TV shows and also shows that were popular in the UK.

In addition, I use Netflix on my iPhone quite a bit while in airports.

In contrast, BB feels clunky and pretty much not worth it from a streaming point of view.

spam firewall