Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Signs Deal with Pappas Telecasting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Here's the Press Release:

DIRECTV and Pappas Reach Agreement

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., April 13, 2012 – We are pleased Pappas has recognized that all DIRECTV customers wanted from the start was to pay reasonable fees for local stations that would not unduly increase their monthly programming bills. While it’s unfortunate Pappas removed its local channels to try and force a deal, we are happy to have an agreement that will keep these channels in our lineup for years to come. We thank our customers for their patience during this unfortunate and unnecessary disruption. All Pappas stations returned to DIRECTV at approximately 5:30 p.m. CT.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

They are just ripping all the stations after reaching agreements aren't they? :)

#3 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Incorrect Sir, DTV did not remove the channels the Pappas network did!

They are just ripping all the stations after reaching agreements aren't they? :)

#4 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

I know, I am talking about Directv's press releases after they are apparently getting what they want in the deals.

#5 OFFLINE   KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Man, the "must carry rule" has been deregulated throughout the years. Nowadays, the only way to have local channels without having to worry about carriage agreements is through OTA.

Visit my website Wrestling With Green Pinstripes: http://wgpinstripes.blogspot.com.

#6 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

OoO lol I misunderstood what you said.

I know, I am talking about Directv's press releases after they are apparently getting what they want in the deals.

#7 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Man, the "must carry rule" has been deregulated throughout the years. Nowadays, the only way to have local channels without having to worry about carriage agreements is through OTA.

The only stations that opt for must-carry are stations that know they can't extract any fees from cable and satellite companies.

#8 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

Here in Minot, ND , FOX was taken down from the local Midcontinent cable feed, upsetting many. It has never been available as a Directv local, which is one reason I have an OTA antenna and don't subscribe to locals.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#9 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Here in Minot, ND , FOX was taken down from the local Midcontinent cable feed, upsetting many. It has never been available as a Directv local, which is one reason I have an OTA antenna and don't subscribe to locals.

That affiliate is one of the worst offenders. The station manager claims the affiliate deserves as much as NBC or CBS, yet it does not offer local news. The best claim he had was they give free ad time, a quick bulletin board ad, to non-profits.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...