Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hard drive controller suggestion

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I need a hard drive controller for my computer, but really have no idea about them, so I'm looking for a suggestion. It should connect via PCI-E, and have 7 SATA 6bps connections on it. I'll be connecting an SSD boot drive, a Blu-Ray burner, DVD burner, and 4 mechanical drives. I need everything to run at full speed. RAID is NOT required.
If it matters any, I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

I've seen 2 and 4 ports, perhaps you'll need two cards.
http://www.siig.com/...alata/pcie.html
Found 6 ports card http://www.meritline...---p-51522.aspx

Internet is full of info .. http://store.sansdig...ccessories.html

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

I've seen 2 and 4 ports, perhaps you'll need two cards.
http://www.siig.com/...alata/pcie.html
Found 6 ports card http://www.meritline...---p-51522.aspx

Internet is full of info .. http://store.sansdig...ccessories.html

If I got the 6 port card you mentioned, would I be able to transfer files back and forth between drives connected to the controller card, and my SSD drive connected to my motherboard? That's one of the limitations of my current motherboard-the 6Gbps SATA drives can't communicate with the 3Gbps SATA drives.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

If I got the 6 port card you mentioned, would I be able to transfer files back and forth between drives connected to the controller card, and my SSD drive connected to my motherboard? That's one of the limitations of my current motherboard-the 6Gbps SATA drives can't communicate with the 3Gbps SATA drives.

Oh ! If it's a bug - you should replace the motherboard.
Actually, you did something wrong - hard drives cannot communicates - only programs could (via CPU,RAM,DMA,SATA controllers) do that.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Actually, you did something wrong - hard drives cannot communicates - only programs could (via CPU,RAM,DMA,SATA controllers) do that.

No, I've talked to Asus, it's not a bug, just the way they designed it. I discovered it when I went to use Wipre my hard drive using Boot N Nuke. DVD drive on the 6Gbps connector couldn't communicate with the hard drive on the 3Gbps connector. I talked to Asus, and that's the way they designed it. Had to do some major swapping around after that.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

No, I've talked to Asus, it's not a bug, just the way they designed it. I discovered it when I went to use Wipre my hard drive using Boot N Nuke. DVD drive on the 6Gbps connector couldn't communicate with the hard drive on the 3Gbps connector. I talked to Asus, and that's the way they designed it. Had to do some major swapping around after that.

Sounds like someone is try fool you.
PC has many different channels to communicate with drives: IDE, SATA, SCSI, floppy interface, USB, firewire, etc - all devices working together.
And again - the communication goes by programs via CPU,RAM,DMA, etc.

If you transcript or FAQ or Q&A from Asus about the mobo, post it here - your description of some problem is not correct for sure.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Sounds like someone is try fool you.
PC has many different channels to communicate with drives: IDE, SATA, SCSI, floppy interface, USB, firewire, etc - all devices working together.
And again - the communication goes by programs via CPU,RAM,DMA, etc.

If you transcript or FAQ or Q&A from Asus about the mobo, post it here - your description of some problem is not correct for sure.

It's out of warranty now anyway. I could upgrade, but kinda waiting for Ivy Bridge and Z77 boards.
If I could somehow get those 2 other connecters to communicate with the others, I wouldn't even need a controller card.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

You still keep it a secret :) - what MB model you got ?

#9 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

You still keep it a secret :) - what MB model you got ?

Oh sorry lol It's an Asus P6X58D Premium http://usa.asus.com/...P6X58D_Premium/

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

I don't see anything what could be such issue:

Intel ICH10R controller
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller*
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
* These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

#11 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

the likely cause is that the disc you booted in your DVD drive did not have drivers for the sata 6g ports controller chip. I have run into that with some usb3 controllers... Requires new boot disc, not controller...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#12 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've never even heard of a set-up like that. I think that whoever you talked to was blowing smoke up your you-know-what. No one in their right mind would purposely design a motherboard like that. If your mother board is working like that then it's a design flaw and Asus is just refusing to admit that they screwed up. Every hard drive and optical drive should see each other and be able to transfer files back & forth from each other regardless of how they are connected.

#13 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

?????????
If that's true than how was I able to back up files to blank DVD's last night? How is it I am able to copy backed up files from optical discs I've burned to new hard drives?

#14 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

I've never even heard of a set-up like that. I think that whoever you talked to was blowing smoke up your you-know-what. No one in their right mind would purposely design a motherboard like that. If your mother board is working like that then it's a design flaw and Asus is just refusing to admit that they screwed up. Every hard drive and optical drive should see each other and be able to transfer files back & forth from each other regardless of how they are connected.

I don't know, maybe. Seems like a horrible design flaw to me too. Course, if it's just a flaky board, and they replaced it, I'd just get some refurb garbage with who knows what else wrong with it. I'm hoping I have the money to upgrade to Ivy Bridge, which would obviously bring a new motherboard with it. I need the additional storage NOW though.

#15 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

the likely cause is that the disc you booted in your DVD drive did not have drivers for the sata 6g ports controller chip. I have run into that with some usb3 controllers... Requires new boot disc, not controller...

The motherboard should have come with a disc that contained all of the drivers needed. If he lost it he can go to Asus' web site & download them. He should go any way & see if there have been any updated drivers released. A missing or outdated driver can cause all kinds of problems.

#16 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

You didn't by any chance change anything in your BIOS did you? You can really screw things up if you change the wrong thing in the BIOS.

#17 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

The motherboard should have come with a disc that contained all of the drivers needed. If he lost it he can go to Asus' web site & download them. He should go any way & see if there have been any updated drivers released. A missing or outdated driver can cause all kinds of problems.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. This is what they offer: http://usa.asus.com/...emium/#download What would I want?

#18 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Check out the 3Ware / LSI Controllers I've been using them for years and they are great reliable performers. I use their Caching RAID Controllers which are a little more money but to me worth every penny. www.3ware.com
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

?????????
If that's true than how was I able to back up files to blank DVD's last night? How is it I am able to copy backed up files from optical discs I've burned to new hard drives?

Don't bother with deepening HW-SW relations if your PC is working OK.

It's just came from OP controversial description of unknown problem.

#20 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

?????????

+1

I have an Asus P8Z68 with 9 SATA ports from 3 vendors on the board (Intell, jMicron & Marvell) running 2 SATA DVD-R/W, 2 SATA SSD on 6GBPS (raid 0) ports and 3 mechanical hard drives and everything sees and reads/writes to everything fine.

The OP's board is a couple gens old (P6), maybe they screwed something up on it although it doesn't make any sense. Some of the mixed vendor SATA ports on the older boards had to be configured in a strange way to work with the other ports IIRC.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...