Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hard drive controller suggestion

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 468 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

If I read all this correctly, here's one real simple answer - DON'T put the optical drive (DVD or BR) on the 6 Gbps port. It even says that in the specs - "ATAPI devices not supported" on the Marvell chip. Optical drives are not fast enough to ever need the 6G port anyhow.

In fact, if possible, I would arrange the system so that you never boot from a device on those Marvell ports. Yes, it works in theory, but your life will be easier if you don't.

Keith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

If I read all this correctly, here's one real simple answer - DON'T put the optical drive (DVD or BR) on the 6 Gbps port. It even says that in the specs - "ATAPI devices not supported" on the Marvell chip. Optical drives are not fast enough to ever need the 6G port anyhow.

In fact, if possible, I would arrange the system so that you never boot from a device on those Marvell ports. Yes, it works in theory, but your life will be easier if you don't.

Keith

If OP did provide full config from beginning, then ...

I'm with Keith while still want to see his PC full config description.

#23 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Keith

Actually plugging anything other than a SSD or a 10,000 or 15,000 RPM hard drive into a 6Gbps port is a waste of time. Edit :A waste of bandwidth

Where does he say he has a ATAPI (PATA)drive? As far as I can tell all of his drives are SATA

He was trying to boot Windows from a card connected to an add-in controller card?! I didn't see that.

Edited by Red Orc, 14 April 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Actually plugging anything other than a SSD or a 10,000 or 15,000 RPM hard drive into a 6Gbps port is a waste of time.

Isn't the reason to limit a number of these to two ? ;) FYI: not all SSD does support 6 Gbps.

#25 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Isn't the reason to limit a number of these to two ? ;) FYI: not all SSD does support 6 Gbps.

I don't think so.
When SATA first came out a lot of mother boards only had one or two connectors. This was because the SATA hard drives had only just started coming out and most people didn't have any SATA drives yet let alone 6 of them. The first motherboard I ever installed had 2 PATA (IDE) plugs and two SATA 1.5Gbps plugs.
Whan SATA got its first speed increase to 3Gbps it was the same thing. Most people either didn't have any SATA 3Gbps hard drives and most of the ones who did only had one or two.
I believe that that's the same reason why most motherboards only have two SATA 6Gbps plugs right now. They're probably expensive and most people probably either don't have any drives that support that speed or only have one or two so why bother putting 6 ,7 ,or 8 plugs on any mother boards right now.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Well, as I see it's the reason of limiting 6 Gbps SATA ports on MB: not too many HDD or SSD support it. And both are expensive.

#27 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 468 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

Actually plugging anything other than a SSD or a 10,000 or 15,000 RPM hard drive into a 6Gbps port is a waste of time. Edit :A waste of bandwidth

Where does he say he has a ATAPI (PATA)drive? As far as I can tell all of his drives are SATA

He was trying to boot Windows from a card connected to an add-in controller card?! I didn't see that.

ATAPI doesn't have to be PATA. Even a SATA interface optical drive is still considered ATAPI equipment.

You're completely right about the waste of bandwidth.

Keith

#28 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

ATAPI doesn't have to be PATA. Even a SATA interface optical drive is still considered ATAPI equipment.

You're completely right about the waste of bandwidth.

Keith

Oh, I know it's a waste of bandwidth, but they are SATA ports. Just wish they'd cross communicate.
Yes, everything I have is SATA.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

To clarify, would you precisely describe what devices (models) connected to each SATA (type) port ?
What mode of two group SATA ports selected in BIOS: AHCI, native SATA, legacy, etc.

#30 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

To clarify, would you precisely describe what devices (models) connected to each SATA (type) port ?
What mode of two group SATA ports selected in BIOS: AHCI, native SATA, legacy, etc.

When I FIRST got the motherboard and connected everything, I think I put both of the optical drives on the 6Gbps connectors (I realize, MAJOR waste of bandwidth, but not owning an SSD, it wasn't a problem). That did NOT work-they would NOT see my hard drives, and the hard drives could NOT see them (Should have seen me trying to install Windows lol). Finally moved everything over to the 3Gbps ports, and everything was fine again. 5 of those ports are full now, and I'd like to either add 2 more additional 3TB drives or find some 5TB drives (Yeah, I know lol). Not sure of the BIOS settings. I'll check the next time I restart.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

When I FIRST got the motherboard and connected everything, I think I put both of the optical drives on the 6Gbps connectors (I realize, MAJOR waste of bandwidth, but not owning an SSD, it wasn't a problem). That did NOT work-they would NOT see my hard drives, and the hard drives could NOT see them (Should have seen me trying to install Windows lol). Finally moved everything over to the 3Gbps ports, and everything was fine again. 5 of those ports are full now, and I'd like to either add 2 more additional 3TB drives or find some 5TB drives (Yeah, I know lol). Not sure of the BIOS settings. I'll check the next time I restart.

The wording is killing me ...

Perhaps you mean Windows or other OS cannot see the drives.

Drives cannot communicate each other.
Only OS with programs.
OK, Windows Explorer (it's a program, eg shell).

#32 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Windows can't see the drives, and neither can Boot N Nuke, or any other CD/DVD outside of Windows if the optical drive is on the 6Gbps connection. The BIOS does see them just fine.

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

That's clear now. :)

[not the "any other CD/DVD outside of Windows" ]

You'll need just right drivers.

#34 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

That's clear now. :)

[not the "any other CD/DVD outside of Windows" ]

You'll need just right drivers.

What I meant by that was, if I boot into ANY CD/DVD when the optical drive is on one of the 6Gbps ports, it won't see ANY of my hard drives.
Drivers huh? Who would supply those? Asus (Motherboard manufacturer), or the hard drive manufacturer?

#35 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

What I meant by that was, if I boot into ANY CD/DVD when the optical drive is on one of the 6Gbps ports, it won't see ANY of my hard drives.
Drivers huh? Who would supply those? Asus (Motherboard manufacturer), or the hard drive manufacturer?

Asus

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

MB's manufacturer - Asus.

spam firewall