Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO & composite cables

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Call your transmitter manufacturer and complain - perhaps they would make new FW for it with non-revoked key.

Subsequent to my posting above, I experimented a bit and discovered that the HBO signal will come through fine on the remote TV that the wireless transmitter is transmitting to IF I also have the TV that has a wired connection to the same DIRECTV DVR turned on. Thus, I'm guessing that the issue is that, unless a successful handshake is negotiated between the DIRECTV box and the hard wired TV, the signal is being blocked to the remote TV getting its signal wirelessly. So, what I need to figure out is how to get the signal to work on the remote TV without having to have the TV that has the wired connection turned on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

You don't know for sure (is your working config means two HDMI output from one DTV DVR ?) what is culprit if dual output working OK.

#23 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

You don't know for sure (is your working config means two HDMI output from one DTV DVR ?) what is culprit if dual output working OK.

The HDMI output from the DIRECTV DVR feeds into the HDMI input for the MyWirelessTV transmitter. Then, the transmitter has an HDMI output that feeds the TV in the same room, and the signal is wirelessly transmitted to the remote TV. Until the change with HBO and HDCP, it had worked great with both the local and remote TVs, and it still works fine with channels other than the HBO channels. After doing a Google search, I've found others who are having the same issue since the HBO/HDCP change, but I have not found anyone who has a solution. It appears that there is a successful handshake between the local TV and the DVR if the local TV is turned on, and, if that happens, the signal will go to both the local and remote TVS, but, if the local TV is turned off, the handshake is not completed, and signal will not go to the remote TV.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I got it - one side of the wireless has HDMI output, like a replicator.

Anyway, it's matter of manufacturer's responsibility. I would contact them.

#25 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I got it - one side of the wireless has HDMI output, like a replicator.

Anyway, it's matter of manufacturer's responsibility. I would contact them.

I did submit a support request earlier today to the manufacturer of the transmitter. I was not, however, encouraged when one of the Google search items that I found was a thread on the DIRECTV support forums. Others reported the same issue, and those who had contacted the transmitter manufacturer were not able to get a solution from them.

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks I searched, "analog sunset" "RunnerFL" "The Merq" and "Earl Bonovich" I didnt get any hits, everything else was mere speculation. I'll roll with what I read on the FCC Website.;)

Try harder next time...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=129334
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

After doing a Google search, I've found others who are having the same issue since the HBO/HDCP change, but I have not found anyone who has a solution. It appears that there is a successful handshake between the local TV and the DVR if the local TV is turned on, and, if that happens, the signal will go to both the local and remote TVS, but, if the local TV is turned off, the handshake is not completed, and signal will not go to the remote TV.

Just reference this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=189770

Actually, the solution is rather simple. The DVR just needs to "see" an actively powered valid HDCP compliant device attached to its HDMI output to get rid of the message. Just attach a HDMI powered splitter or switch which is HDCP compliant to the DVR's HDMI output like this:

DVR HDMI output -> HDMI powered splitter/switch (HDCP compliant) -> your TV's HDMI input or other HMDI input devices.

This will work whether your TV is off or on because the splitter or switch stays powered on all the time. You can find these at monoprice ranging from $25 to $50. Just make sure it's a powered splitter or switch.

Edited by tritch, 14 April 2012 - 11:55 PM.

Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#28 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

Try harder next time...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=129334

Thanks, there was so much V-Bulletin dust on that thread it made my VelociRaptor wheeze. Tom's second post is pretty much the same as DirecTv's April Tech Bulletin.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#29 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Actually, the solution is rather simple. The DVR just needs to "see" an actively powered valid HDCP compliant device attached to its HDMI output to get rid of the message. Just attach a HDMI powered splitter or switch which is HDCP compliant to the DVR's HDMI output like this:

DVR HDMI output -> HDMI powered splitter/switch (HDCP compliant) -> your TV's HDMI input or other HMDI input devices.

This will work whether your TV is off or on because the splitter or switch stays powered on all the time. You can find these at monoprice ranging from $25 to $50. Just make sure it's a powered splitter or switch.

This seems worth it to me. I can't watch HBO now, or, I get to watch all of my TV content over Component video. Really? Component?

I can't figure out exactly which splitter to get, though. Monoprice may be a great lead, I just don't know which one to get. Does anyone have one that works well?

#30 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

Thanks much for the help. Your suggestion certainly seems to make sense, and I'll be giving it a try as soon as I can get a powered HDMI splitter.

This seems worth it to me. I can't watch HBO now, or, I get to watch all of my TV content over Component video. Really? Component?

I can't figure out exactly which splitter to get, though. Monoprice may be a great lead, I just don't know which one to get. Does anyone have one that works well?

I was looking at these two products.

http://www.monoprice...3#specification

http://www.monoprice...3#specification

The first doesn't mention HDCP in its specifications, but, in one of the user reviews, it does say that it worked to stop a similar issue with a cable company's signal. The second one does mention HDCP in its specifications.

Any input regarding whether either of these two should work and/or other suggested products would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Edited by lesz, 15 April 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Yeah this is NOT GOOD, I'm getting this: "Your tv does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with a component cable will allow you to view the program." on my HBO's and Cinemax's I'm watching at work on my slingbox, so I guess I'll just remove the HDMI cable when I get home, but This is pretty crappy in my opinion. :new_puppy
Proud DirecTV Subscriber since 1.6.2012 :)
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

#32 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

As a follow-up to my previous posts in this thread, I have subsequently discovered another/easier solution to my issue with the HDCP-non-compliant message with the MyWirelessTV transmitter. If anyone else is having the same issue, he/she might want to try what worked for me. First, use the re-set button to re-set both the transmitter and receiver to factory defaults. Then, make sure that you have updated the firmware on both the transmitter and receiver to the latest firmware version. That version is 1.0.2.40. When I did that, the HBO signal came through fine on both the hard-wired TV and on the remote TV getting the wireless signal.

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

See post#19... deja vu ?

#34 OFFLINE   dndell

dndell

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm having a program restriced message problem also - just with HBO and Cinemax (HBOZHD alone had this problem a month earlier). I have an HR21 Directv DVR connected via HDMI to an Epson 5010 Projector for nightime fiewing and component-connected to an LCD tv that I use for daytime viewing (ambient light).

To folks just starting to get this message, the Directv message is confusing because it suggests connecting via component, but it actually gets that message only on the component connection (LCD tv). If HDMI is connected (to the projector, even though it's powered off), then the component won't work. Disconnect the HDMI, then it will work. I did order an HDMI splitter from Monoprice - thanks for the suggestion.

If the industry wants to kill analog connections, then I do think the distributors (cable & satellite) have some responsibility to support their customers by providing DVRs with dual-HDMI outputs, and not just HDMI & Component. Not even the most expensive Tivo box offers 2 HDMI outs currently. I'm not sure how big the base of dual-display owners are, so I guess we're on our own for now.

#35 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Gah!

I'm getting the "HDMI not permitted" message, and yet, my television's manual clearly lists "HDCP Compliant" in the specifications. I have a Toshiba 34HFX84.

I think there's something going on that's not right.

#36 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Article--DirecTV Blocks HBO Over HDMI

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#37 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Article--DirecTV Blocks HBO Over HDMI

You left out the key part to the title - (without HDCP).
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#38 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I didn't leave anything out; I just didn't include it, because at the time, it wasn't part of the title.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#39 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

It was my understanding that HDMI without HDCP doesn't exist. However, many devices from the early years of HDMI did not properly handle HDCP, with incompatibilities between brands and defective transceivers rampant. Sony replaced my KDS-R60XBR1 when it could not deal with the HDMI output of a Sony ES receiver, though handled a direct feed of my HR10 just fine. The slightly newer unit worked fine.

Edit: Apparently it is allowed to implement HDMI without HDCP, but I'd be astonished if any consumer equipment did so.

So what I guess we are seeing here is some TVs not properly handling HDCP or some aspect of the modified HDCP signal being put out by the sat box. I will have to see if my TV is similarly affected - haven't tried to watch HBO recently.

Edit: HBO-HD works fine on both my HR21 and THR22.

Edited by sbl, 17 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Steve

My Setup

#40 OFFLINE   horace clark

horace clark

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

image-2557992034.jpg

To sum it up. If you have more than one tv connected to a receiver than the tv connected with hdmi must be on or disconnected in order to watch on secondary tv regardless of connection. Composite or component.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...