Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO & composite cables

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   aandjw

aandjw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

My issue is that I use an HDMI to DVI converter at the TV that had no issues until today. The HDMI cable is in the wall so converting to component cables doesn't seem to be practical.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

[ATTACH]28909[/ATTACH]

To sum it up. If you have more than one tv connected to a receiver than the tv connected with hdmi must be on or disconnected in order to watch on secondary tv regardless of connection. Composite or component.

So... for people with older TVs...

For one DVR, if I have one TV connected via component, and another TV connected via SVideo, this doesn't apply? (all analog)

And this doesn't apply to setups that that have a single component connection?

jdg

#43 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

So... for people with older TVs...

For one DVR, if I have one TV connected via component, and another TV connected via SVideo, this doesn't apply? (all analog)

And this doesn't apply to setups that that have a single component connection?

jdg

That's correct....if no HDMI cable is connected to that DVR, you won't run into this problem.
Vin

#44 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

So to recap, it will be incumbent on some owners to spend additional money to receive programming they are paying for.

For me personally, should any of my TV's that I am paying for HBO, starz, etc, not be able to receive the signals I pay for, I will immediately discontinue that service.

I mean really, when was the last time HBO had something on worth pirating?

#45 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I just started laughing when I read this. By the time it gets to HBO, its been on the pirate sites for months, or is available for streaming.

I'm with you, if I cant watch it using the analog connections hooked to my HTPC, its getting turned off.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#46 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

My issue is that I use an HDMI to DVI converter at the TV that had no issues until today. The HDMI cable is in the wall so converting to component cables doesn't seem to be practical.....

Yes, most DVI devices are not HDCP compliant.....

#47 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Every Sunday night, pretty much. Their original programming is pretty popular and, IMO, quite good. Last year, HBO received 104 Primetime Emmy® nominations, the most of any network for the 11th year in a row.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#48 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Welll.......wife and I get to the point where we burn stuff off to DVD just so we can watch it later (even with a whole home system and 2 HD-DVR's). Seemed like the vid quality was pretty decent when it was being played back in HD. Now the system tells me to hold down the exit button until the dvr switches over to SD, and the recording quality then is pretty ordinary D* SD.

Running a recording right now without routing it through the DVD recorder to see if the output ports are turned off when HD is on (they never were before). We'll see if the recording quality is any better.

#49 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

As a follow-up to my previous posts in this thread, I have subsequently discovered another/easier solution to my issue with the HDCP-non-compliant message with the MyWirelessTV transmitter. If anyone else is having the same issue, he/she might want to try what worked for me. First, use the re-set button to re-set both the transmitter and receiver to factory defaults. Then, make sure that you have updated the firmware on both the transmitter and receiver to the latest firmware version. That version is 1.0.2.40. When I did that, the HBO signal came through fine on both the hard-wired TV and on the remote TV getting the wireless signal.

And again, to emphasize what's really key here is that the DirecTV HD DVR needs to negotiate the handshake with an active/powered HDCP compliant device, whether it be a TV or HDMI switch or splitter. I've been using the MyWirelessTV system with the current firware version but still had issues as I talked about here > http://www.dbstalk.c...526#post2997526 but what I've discovered is that the 3x1 HDMI switch I was using was the culprit as it was not HDCP compliant, unbeknownst to me at the time. I've since swapped it out with a 4x2 HDMI matrix switch from Monoprice and no longer have the issue I had when tuning to HBO from my remote TV despite not having the MyWirelessTV transmitter hardwired to the local TV.
Vin

#50 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

HBO is known much more now for their original programming than the movies.

Game of Thrones, True Blood, etc, etc show up on HBO before they show up anywhere else because they own that content.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#51 OFFLINE   aandjw

aandjw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Is this a content discussion or a technical forum....lol.

We can debate until the end of time about the value of HBO. I prefer not to be divorced because the Mrs can't watch her shows on the big TV. No real solution for me unless I run composite cables up the outside of the wall (truly ugly) or buy a new TV. And I hate the way D* has handled this (problem? What problem?).

Sorry to whine.....

#52 OFFLINE   jackal24

jackal24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Can anyone confirm that HBO is only being output at 540p via composite?

#53 OFFLINE   jackal24

jackal24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

I mean component.

#54 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Can anyone confirm that HBO is only being output at 540p via composite?

Component Video OUT is capable of providing both 720p and 1080i HD resolutions.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#55 OFFLINE   jackal24

jackal24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

I understand that, but several of the blogs reporting on the recent HBO HDMI restrictions have said that HBO over component is being artificially limited to 540p.

#56 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Technically it is capable of 1080p as well. Just nobody outputs content over component at that resolution.

#57 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I understand that, but several of the blogs reporting on the recent HBO HDMI restrictions have said that HBO over component is being artificially limited to 540p.

Not true. And there's no such thing as "540p" on these devices.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#58 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

That blog may be incorrectly reporting 1080i as "540p", making it very suspect as to any accuracy. More of the tin hat brigade stuff when I read stupidity like that. Of course component has never transmitted 1080p.

#59 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

That blog may be incorrectly reporting 1080i as "540p", making it very suspect as to any accuracy. More of the tin hat brigade stuff when I read stupidity like that. Of course component has never transmitted 1080p.

Never is a really long time. XBox 360 will output 1080p over Component.

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

There is no such physical limitation.

Perhaps very bad component cable could degrade the signal, but not prevent.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...