Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO & composite cables

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Never is a really long time. XBox 360 will output 1080p over Component.

There is no such physical limitation.

Perhaps very bad component cable could degrade the signal, but not prevent.

Just for clarity, in the consumer equipment context, when you say "1080p," it always refers to 1080p@24fps?

Whereas 1080p@60fps outside of maybe inside or in facility professional broadcast studio distribution (or "3G"), is not normally used by consumer gear?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

A bit of knowledge about the HDCP requirements may clarify this situation. You can find it here. Once HDCP is activated any non-compliant connection (read this as component) will be reduced to DVD quality. It is that simple. Everything you knew about component connections is about to change.

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Just for clarity, in the consumer equipment context, when you say "1080p," it always refers to 1080p@24fps?

Whereas 1080p@60fps outside of maybe inside or in facility professional broadcast studio distribution (or "3G"), is not normally used by consumer gear?

- so far it's true for movies
- using by game consoles, computer video cards

#64 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,689 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

A bit of knowledge about the HDCP requirements may clarify this situation. You can find it here. Once HDCP is activated any non-compliant connection (read this as component) will be reduced to DVD quality. It is that simple. Everything you knew about component connections is about to change.

At this point DirecTV is not "down rezzing" the Component Video output when the HDMI connection fails its HDCP handshake. But that's certainly something they might be forced to do in the future.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#65 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

You're a bit mixed up here. This isn't HDCP it is ICT (Image Constraint Token). If the ICT flag is set on then the device must downscale HD video to 480p. As far as I know not a single TV provider has talked about using the ICT flag. That doesn't mean they might not do it eventually, but I don't expect it to happen for at least a couple of years.

Blu-Ray manufacturers however have started talking about it and the studios are supposedly going to start turning the ICT flag on with newer Blu-Ray releases sometime soon (2013 I think). So future Blu-Rays will start doing this and they will be downscaled to 480p. I believe the only Blu-Ray that has had the ICT flag set so far was one of the Resident Evil movies released in Europe and the movie studio said that it was only done on accident and I believe they offered free replacment discs to people who were affected.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#66 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Do you have another TV connected to the same receiver?

This was my problem. For YEARS I have used 2 receivers with 2 TV's in the same room but I used both HDMI and Component hook ups to both TV's so I could switch how I wanted. I started getting this message on the TV I was using with the Component connection. It told me to use component even though I already was. One TV is a new Pannasonic ST50, a 2012 model so it is not the TV. When hooked the receivers up separate, one to each TV the problem goes away. I use Component on the Vizo TV because of the slingbox and HDMI on the New Panasonic. This really chaps my you know what. If both inputs are active and supposedly able to be used then I should be able to use them. I could until this HDCP started.
Directv with 4 HDDVR's 3 HR24's and one HR21
Dish with Hopper/sling, Hopper/sling adapter and 4 joeys

Directv for 17 years, Dish for 1 month. Loving the Hopper and Primetime anytime so far.

#67 OFFLINE   rcarnley

rcarnley

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I got a KINIVO HDMI powered switch to try to resolve this issue. It did not work. The switch is supposedly HDCP compliant but I have to disconnect the power from the switch in order to use the standard TV. That is easier than unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable but still not ideal. I have 2 TV's hooked to my HR-24. One via the HDMI cable and one with analog cables, but you probably guessed that.

#68 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

did they put on the Encore channels also?

#69 OFFLINE   rcarnley

rcarnley

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Yes. They did. That is what we have along with Starz. When they switched it on we started getting the problem.

#70 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I got a KINIVO HDMI powered switch to try to resolve this issue. It did not work. The switch is supposedly HDCP compliant but I have to disconnect the power from the switch in order to use the standard TV. That is easier than unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable but still not ideal. I have 2 TV's hooked to my HR-24. One via the HDMI cable and one with analog cables, but you probably guessed that.

I was using the Kinivo 3x1 HDMI switch and also had issues with HDCP. I returned it and I'm now using this 4X2 True Matrix HDMI switch from Monoprice > http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2. I have two DirecTV HR2x DVRs and a Roku box connected to it and my system is much more stable. When I put on an HDCP channel like HBO the troubling HDCP messsage will flash just momentarily until the HDMI handshake is confirmed but will then allow the program to display on the component video connected TV. In addition to component video I also had the HR21-100 connected via composite.

I recently replaced the analog set with a small LCD so the composite video connection is no longer needed and I also disconnected the component video cables (with the 4x2 HDMI I no longer need component) from the HR2x HD DVRs and switching between devices is much faster now. I realize that if you're using composite to feed an older analog TV this will not be an option for you but even with composite and component video cables connected, this switch worked where the Kinivo didn't. YMMV.
Vin

#71 OFFLINE   carl.066

carl.066

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

I was led to believe that a powered HDCP-compliant splitter was all that was needed to supply the necessary EDID handshake back to the DirecTV box. I checked with one manufacturer, Sewell, and they confirmed that this was NOT the case. The splitter will simply pass the handshake info from one or both HDMI devices that it is connected to back to the DirecTV receiver. This will then allow the receiver to output the HDMI programming through all its analog ports as well. but at least one of the HDMI devices on the output side of the splitter has to be on.

I have an H21 with the HDMI output connected to a local TV and the component video output connected to my Slingbox. When I'm away, the local TV has to be on in order for the Slingbox to get a signal on HBO, Cinemax, etc.

If anyone has a solution other than leaving a TV or other display device on at all times, please let us know.

#72 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I was led to believe that a powered HDCP-compliant splitter was all that was needed to supply the necessary EDID handshake back to the DirecTV box. I checked with one manufacturer, Sewell, and they confirmed that this was NOT the case. The splitter will simply pass the handshake info from one or both HDMI devices that it is connected to back to the DirecTV receiver. This will then allow the receiver to output the HDMI programming through all its analog ports as well. but at least one of the HDMI devices on the output side of the splitter has to be on.

I have an H21 with the HDMI output connected to a local TV and the component video output connected to my Slingbox. When I'm away, the local TV has to be on in order for the Slingbox to get a signal on HBO, Cinemax, etc.

If anyone has a solution other than leaving a TV or other display device on at all times, please let us know.

Just disconnect the HDMI from your H21 while you're away.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#73 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Would a mechanical HDMI switch accomplish the same thing (switching to a port with no connection)? My understanding is that HDMI cables do not take a lot of abuse.

jdg

#74 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Would a mechanical HDMI switch accomplish the same thing (switching to a port with no connection)? My understanding is that HDMI cables do not take a lot of abuse.

jdg

No, as long as the DVR detects and HDMI cable attached it will attempt an HDCP handshake.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#75 OFFLINE   carl.066

carl.066

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

For me, this is not practical. While I'm gone, others in the household may want to use the TV connected with HDMI.

#76 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

For me, this is not practical. While I'm gone, others in the household may want to use the TV connected with HDMI.

This is the demand that broadcasters have made, not DirecTV, so complain to them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#77 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Does your slingbox have component pass thru? If so you can hook that TV up over component using the passthru on the slingbox instead of using HDMI.

Also, just because Sewell says that is how their HDMI switch works, doesn't mean that is how all of them work. I'm fairly certain people have reported on here that they were able to get the Monoprice HDMI switches to work just fine.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#78 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

This is the demand that broadcasters have made, not DirecTV, so complain to them.

Plain stupid. :(

Say, You got a Sharp TV, it doesn't work well because of "Muthsui" bad capacitors.
Well - you must complain to the "Mithsui" ! Duh !

You get an agreement with the provider for a service and an equipment, it's full responsibility of the company.
No need to point to others (do you have proof of that ? No ! Then it would be your opinion, not a fact).

#79 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I think we are pretty safe to assume it was HBO who told DirecTV to implement these HDCP changes since we are now seeing people having similar issues with HBO and other movie channels on other providers like Comcast, TWC, etc.
-by Jack Handy

#80 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Plain stupid. :(

Say, You got a Sharp TV, it doesn't work well because of "Muthsui" bad capacitors.
Well - you must complain to the "Mithsui" ! Duh !

You get an agreement with the provider for a service and an equipment, it's full responsibility of the company.
No need to point to others (do you have proof of that ? No ! Then it would be your opinion, not a fact).

HDCP comes from the content providers
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...