Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not getting signal

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Dithering to the 101 centers the 101, and the 99 & 103 are off center of the beam by about the same amount.
Dithering to a Ka sat centers one and moves the other Ka sat slightly more off center.
Dithering to a Ka sat may be beneficial to locations where one beam is stronger than the other.

Is that correct?

Other than changing stronger to weaker, that is exactly what I'm saying and have learned through this discussion.

To use some random numbers:
Say one of the Ka is 3 dB lower than the other, if you can tweak it for the 3 dB and not detune the other, you've optimized the alignment.

Edited by veryoldschool, 17 April 2012 - 11:03 AM.

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hello all. I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, as I just moved my dish and put it on a previous Primestar mast buried in cement. I purchased a bird alignment tool off of Amazon, which it pretty nice and only $25. Gives analog readout along with audio tone. I was able to use it to align easily, but in reading about dithering to a specific bird, I wasn't sure how I would know which bird I was actually aligning it to. I know I can bring up signals on my receiver, but it's too far away from my dish. I am still experiencing rainfade, when it shouldn't be, IMO. Before I moved the dish, it could be very cloudy and I would get drop off.

I have heard using the 99, the 101 and the 103. I am in the midwest, so should I aim for the 101?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

#63 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hello all. I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, as I just moved my dish and put it on a previous Primestar mast buried in cement. I purchased a bird alignment tool off of Amazon, which it pretty nice and only $25. Gives analog readout along with audio tone. I was able to use it to align easily, but in reading about dithering to a specific bird, I wasn't sure how I would know which bird I was actually aligning it to. I know I can bring up signals on my receiver, but it's too far away from my dish. I am still experiencing rainfade, when it shouldn't be, IMO. Before I moved the dish, it could be very cloudy and I would get drop off.

I have heard using the 99, the 101 and the 103. I am in the midwest, so should I aim for the 101?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

I would think the 101 would be best to dither with in the midwest, and is likely the only one you can dither with the meter you bought. It might be worth going over the dithering steps.

1) Plumb the mast(or at least get your pipe adapter as plumb as possible). Dithering becomes less effective as the mast becomes less plumb.

2) Rough peak azimuth (left and right) and elevation (up and down).

3) Set dithering knobs to 0. Make sure the two side bolts and the two under bolts are loose.

4) Turn the elevation dithering bolt 2 whole turns counter-clockwise(you will end at 0 again). Read the value.

5) Turn the elevation dithering bolt clockwise until you reach the same number, counting the number of turns.

6) Divide the number of turns by 2, set the knob to 0, and turn the dithering bolt counter clockwise by that many turns.

7) Repeat steps 3 to 6 for azimuth.

8) Tighten the side and under bolts.

After that you should have good signal on all satellites.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

spam firewall