Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost HBO over HDMI

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

As of today, I can no longer watch HBO over HDMI to my television. I get an error message that says "HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information." (And pressing Select does nothing.)

Reportedly, HBO is behind this, and it has something to do with my television not being up to date enough to allow for security of the HDMI output.

GAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

HDCP? What the???

According to DirecTV, the major studios mandated this as of April 12, and it was implemented so quickly they didn't even have time to send out a letter.

According to DirecTV, I have to connect my DVR with Component cables in order to be able to watch HBO.

I'm surprised that I'm the first one posting anything about this. I didn't see anything in Google about this.

I'm really annoyed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204075

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=129334
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,608 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

You actually have two options ....
1) Use the Component Video connection instead of HDMI
2) Get a newer TV that properly supports HDCP copy protection over HDMI
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Just a bit of follow-up. What's confounding is that my television is, according to the manufacturer, HDCP Compliant.

I found a third solution, one referenced in the threads that samrs posted, namely, a powered HDMI splitter.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Just a bit of follow-up. What's confounding is that my television is, according to the manufacturer, HDCP Compliant.

I found a third solution, one referenced in the threads that samrs posted, namely, a powered HDMI splitter.

I'm still questioning whether or not this will correct the problem of having a TV that is supposedly HDCP compliant, yet is failing DIRECTV's HDCP copy protection to insert an HDCP compliant switch between the two.

Please post back how it turns out as I have the same problem on one TV here with the DIRECTV DVRs

#6 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'm still questioning whether or not this will correct the problem of having a TV that is supposedly HDCP compliant, yet is failing DIRECTV's HDCP copy protection to insert an HDCP compliant switch between the two.

Please post back how it turns out as I have the same problem on one TV here with the DIRECTV DVRs

I should have said I found a third solution that works.

I was surprised that it worked. It was only people who had posted the solution here who thought it would. DirecTV isn't interested in saying anything other than to use Component, Toshiba suggested trying a newer, v.1.4 HDMI cable, and Monoprice, the people I bought the splitter from, didn't think the splitter would work.

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

The cable will make NO DIFFERENCE in this situation....

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

I should have said I found a third solution that works.

I was surprised that it worked. It was only people who had posted the solution here who thought it would. DirecTV isn't interested in saying anything other than to use Component, Toshiba suggested trying a newer, v.1.4 HDMI cable, and Monoprice, the people I bought the splitter from, didn't think the splitter would work.

So which splitter did you ultimately get from the post in the other thread on the General DIRECTV forum? Or will either suffice since the first does not specifically mention HDCP compatibility in the specs. for it?

http://www.monoprice...3#specification

http://www.monoprice...3#specification

#9 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

i got 1 more question about this, as people tv get older will people run this problem? or is this a one time deal?

#10 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

The cable will make NO DIFFERENCE in this situation....

I have to say that I love answers like these because they are devoid of anything that is convincing.

Person A: Asserts that X is true
Person B: Asserts that Y is true, and X is false
Person C: Asserts that Z is true and the X and Y is false
Person D: Asserts that Y is false

None of them offer any reasoning or facts that can back up their claims, so what I am supposed to believe?

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

i got 1 more question about this, as people tv get older will people run this problem? or is this a one time deal?

I think if you fix it it, it will be a one time deal, but it is going to continue to get worse. At some point, they are going to force down-rezzing over component.

Of course, I figured THAT would be the first step as you can copy content from component rather easily. But the industry is so screwed up on all this nothing surprises me anymore.

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I have to say that I love answers like these because they are devoid of anything that is convincing.

Person A: Asserts that X is true
Person B: Asserts that Y is true, and X is false
Person C: Asserts that Z is true and the X and Y is false
Person D: Asserts that Y is false

None of them offer any reasoning or facts that can back up their claims, so what I am supposed to believe?

Not sure how you want me to "prove" this. It's just a cable, making a series of electrical connections from one device to another. HDCP is a copy protection protocol, which is based on a series of messages sent by one device to another. The cable has no idea what messages are being sent between the devices. The HDCP "failure" occurs when the DirecTv box sends messages to the TV saying "prove to me you are HDCP compliant by sending me the correct response to these messages. ". If the TV sends back the wrong answer, HDCP is determined to have failed and so the DirecTV box shuts off the output. It's basically as simple as that. The cable is irrelevant.

#13 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

HDCP is a ring tailed beast. Someone earlier mentioned Toshiba and I had more issues with HDCP in the early days with them.

Chances are if you are having these errors now your native HDMI interface running on your monitorTV could experience similar issues with other enhancements on any HDMI connected device.

The standards exist,but he vendors choose which parts of the spec they will implement. HDMI 1.1 was pretty touch and go. By the time it hit 1.3 it was pretty stable though I still have one Toshiba that is on 1.3 and it flakes on audio on IPL situations from time to time. I blame that on Toshiba.

Most current HDMI equipped devices are being shipped with 1.3 or 1.4 the latter being the current 3D spec requirement.

Before you spend money on a solution unplug the TV (no power to the chassis) then plug back in, start the TV let it come up then start the sat box and see if the handshake works. I had a Toshiba DLP set that forced me to that on numerous occasions. I put an in line switch between it and the power center so I could just kill power instead of having to fish wit the plug itself.

I gave that set away eventually but once I learned how to ensure a proper handshake, I no longer had HDCP errors.

HDCP is the High Definition Copy Protection protocol that protects the media owners from perfect quality bootlegging. It prevents us honest folk from having a completely seamless interface while the dedicated croks can bypass or emulate it. Does more damage to the customers IMO.

No certantities about that working. But it certainly did in my specific case.

Don "Half Defined Color Picture" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#14 OFFLINE   mccinema

mccinema

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Does anyone know if this HDMI incompatibility issue is also hitting Dish Network and Cable outlets?

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Does anyone know if this HDMI incompatibility issue is also hitting Dish Network and Cable outlets?

Don't know, but it will. HBO will apply the same rules to every provider, it's only a matter of time.

#16 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Not sure how you want me to "prove" this. It's just a cable, making a series of electrical connections from one device to another. HDCP is a copy protection protocol, which is based on a series of messages sent by one device to another. The cable has no idea what messages are being sent between the devices. The HDCP "failure" occurs when the DirecTv box sends messages to the TV saying "prove to me you are HDCP compliant by sending me the correct response to these messages. ". If the TV sends back the wrong answer, HDCP is determined to have failed and so the DirecTV box shuts off the output. It's basically as simple as that. The cable is irrelevant.

Didn't ask for proof... just asked for more than assertion. Now you've done that and you have added more to the discussion than DirecTV, Toshiba and Monoprice did. Thank you.

#17 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

HDCP is a ring tailed beast. Someone earlier mentioned Toshiba and I had more issues with HDCP in the early days with them.

Chances are if you are having these errors now your native HDMI interface running on your monitorTV could experience similar issues with other enhancements on any HDMI connected device.

The standards exist,but he vendors choose which parts of the spec they will implement. HDMI 1.1 was pretty touch and go. By the time it hit 1.3 it was pretty stable though I still have one Toshiba that is on 1.3 and it flakes on audio on IPL situations from time to time. I blame that on Toshiba.

Most current HDMI equipped devices are being shipped with 1.3 or 1.4 the latter being the current 3D spec requirement.

Before you spend money on a solution unplug the TV (no power to the chassis) then plug back in, start the TV let it come up then start the sat box and see if the handshake works. I had a Toshiba DLP set that forced me to that on numerous occasions. I put an in line switch between it and the power center so I could just kill power instead of having to fish wit the plug itself.

I gave that set away eventually but once I learned how to ensure a proper handshake, I no longer had HDCP errors.

HDCP is the High Definition Copy Protection protocol that protects the media owners from perfect quality bootlegging. It prevents us honest folk from having a completely seamless interface while the dedicated croks can bypass or emulate it. Does more damage to the customers IMO.

No certantities about that working. But it certainly did in my specific case.

Don "Half Defined Color Picture" Bolton

This is essentially what the advanced technical support people at DirecTV suggested to me (unplug the TV and plug it back in, then reset the receiver). I haven't had the chance to try this yet, but I will, even though the splitter suggestion worked. I want to be able to tell DirecTV I tried what they asked.

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

This is essentially what the advanced technical support people at DirecTV suggested to me (unplug the TV and plug it back in, then reset the receiver). I haven't had the chance to try this yet, but I will, even though the splitter suggestion worked. I want to be able to tell DirecTV I tried what they asked.

bldxyz, again which splitter did you get? Or will both suffice?

See the links in my original message #8 earlier.

#19 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Resetting the box (DVR) would likely have 0 effect. It's most likely that the handshake for the HDMI/HDCP connection has to happen in a certain sequence or it may spew HDCP errors.

In my case I only needed to remove all power from the TV to get it back to possibly working next try. You may need to try having the DVR set to that channel before powering out the TV so when it does handshake with the DVR it will do so with HDCP in operation.

Don "I returned several perfectly good DVD players till I discovered it was my TV that was the problem" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#20 OFFLINE   Fab55

Fab55

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Resetting the box (DVR) would likely have 0 effect. It's most likely that the handshake for the HDMI/HDCP connection has to happen in a certain sequence or it may spew HDCP errors.

I have to disagree, in my case, powering off the DVR has fixed the issue. I started seeing the "HDCP" message when I was watching an HBO/Max channel, then I would switch from 1 HBO/MAX channel to another, which I though was weird. Powering off/on the DVR fixed the issue, re-establishing the HDMI Handshake (I'm assuming). I would think there has to be some sort of software bug... somewhere...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...