Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV thinks very of horseracing

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

It's very obvious DirecTV thinks horseracing is not worthy programming. Almost every genre of sports on DirecTV there are multiple channels that show similar sports. Unfortunately DirecTV has only one horseracing channel (TVG). Why can Dish have all the horseracing channels (TVG, HRTV, and a horseracing package of channels) But DirecTV only one? Year after year I request HRTV to be put on DirecTV but it never happens. What the hell is the problem here? I mean really, why is HRTV still not on DirecTV? Can anyone give me some good info about what actually is going on with this situation. Please Please DirecTV give us horseracing fans what we want and deserve HRTV !!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Please Please DirecTV give us horseracing fans what we want and deserve HRTV !!!!

Best to let D* know directly >>

http://directv.com/email

Some additional links regarding HRTV and D* >>

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196158

-=K=-

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Unfortunately, you are asking for a channel that may not have broad based appeal. Other then the times I'm just channel surfing through the 600's, I've never even watched TVG. I enjoy watching the Triple Crown races, but that's about it. Hope they add it for you someday. If not, you may have to think about switching to another provider.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

It's true. DirecTV doesn't think highly of horse racing.

#5 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

It's very obvious DirecTV thinks horseracing is not worthy programming. Almost every genre of sports on DirecTV there are multiple channels that show similar sports. Unfortunately DirecTV has only one horseracing channel (TVG). Why can Dish have all the horseracing channels (TVG, HRTV, and a horseracing package of channels) But DirecTV only one? Year after year I request HRTV to be put on DirecTV but it never happens. What the hell is the problem here? I mean really, why is HRTV still not on DirecTV? Can anyone give me some good info about what actually is going on with this situation. Please Please DirecTV give us horseracing fans what we want and deserve HRTV !!!!

Check out post 2 in the thread you started in 2009..........

http://www.dbstalk.c...7&highlight=TVG
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#6 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I had never even heard of HRTV until I read this thread. I also had no idea there was more than 1 horse racing channel.

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I would say they don't have it because as long as I have been around this industry you are the 1st person I have ever heard say why don't we have more horse racing?

#8 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 910 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Perhaps DirecTV will get Horse Racing TV (HRTV) but will wait on adding it in HD. And the capacity for HD is pretty limited these days. I wouldn't dismiss this possibility.

#9 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Also, I saw no horse racing package on Dishs website. After reading this I got curious as to what it would be and consist of. I found they offer Racetrack TV by itself for $50 a month.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Perhaps DirecTV will get Horse Racing TV (HRTV) but will wait on adding it in HD. And the capacity for HD is pretty limited these days. I wouldn't dismiss this possibility.

Lately it seems that we could be adding quite a bit more. Capacity isnt as limited as we thought if we can get one more HD channel per transponder.

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Lately it seems that we could be adding quite a bit more. Capacity isnt as limited as we thought if we can get one more HD channel per transponder.

DirecTV could be playing it cautious, the last thing they want to is to lose a bird (or part of one) and have to start removing channels.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Sure, they certainly made it seamless when they took D10 offline.

#13 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

The problem might be that too little people actually want the channel. Yes, Dish has it.... but they don't have NFL, and might feel they need HRTV and other Horseracing channels to keep the horseracing fans with Dish.

In here lies the problem with niche channels: If among satellite subscribers, 90% of horseracing lovers already subscribe to Dish, it is going to be a very hard sell to the DirecTV board of directors, as the 10% of horse race lovers that have DirecTV is a really small amount of people, and they now would need to attract actual Dish subscribers back to DirecTV.

It's the same with international packaging: Dish already has a well established Indian and other Asian clientele because they carry Asian programming, where DirecTV only carries a minimal amount. Naturally, most Indians I know (and I know a few) have Dish as their provider.

There are a few more channels like that, and this is a situation where you most likely have to choose what is most important to you: The horse racing channels, OR the other channels/services that DirecTV offers.

No single provider will have ALL channels you want. There might be important channels you won't want to give up that Dish doesn't carry, which is why you are sticking it out with DirecTV.

I do believe that DirecTV has some bandwidth constraints, and has to be fairly picky in which channels to add until they launch a new bird in 2014. No one really knows, but if there is room for another 15-20 or so HD channels on current satellites (which is what some people seem to think), I don't think any of the horse racing channels is on the top 15 list of channels to add.

Not to push you away in any way, but I do believe you probably won't be seeing any horse racing channels till after 2014 some time. And even after that.... it is still "iffy". If I want horse racing channels this year, I probably would start making arrangements to either switch to Dish, or add Dish network to your home to 1 TV and the cheapest package that has the horseracing channels.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#14 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,604 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Perhaps DirecTV will get Horse Racing TV (HRTV) but will wait on adding it in HD.
And the capacity for HD is pretty limited these days. I wouldn't dismiss this possibility.

HRTV doesnt have an HD channel just like TVG doesnt....i miss michelle yu on tvg & she was just starting to get to know harness racing too.

If I want horse racing channels this year, I probably would start making arrangements to either switch to Dish

Fios has HRTV too.

Edited by dcowboy7, 15 April 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 910 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

HRTV doesnt have an HD channel just like TVG doesnt.

I know. TVG, on DirecTV's ch. 602, is supposedly going to launch this year in high definition. I don't know any latest with Horse Racing TV (not carried on DirecTV but available from Dish Network).

#16 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

HRTV would have been a better add a few years ago, but now while they do show racing during the day six days a week, they hardly show any racing at night, and none on Tuesdays, focusing on other aspects of horses in sports (e.g. rodeo and equestrian), and showing highlights of older races:

http://www.hrtv.com/schedule/

Having said that, I'd watch it during racing times for tracks TVG doesn't cover (e.g. Santa Anita, Fair Grounds and Gulfstream in fall and winter, Churchill and Arlington in spring and summer).

I'm not sure about $50 a month for RTN - that seems geared more towards the serious online bettor than for a fan.

#17 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Is there a market to justify the cost to carry the channel? Does Comcast or other providers besides DISH carry the station?

Every year at Thanksgiving one of my sister in-laws, who trains horses and riders and all of the horse show stuff, refuses to watch football with us because she feels her sport doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I tell her that the numbers have to add up. How much revenue is HRTV going to generate. I don’t know much about the horse stuff. I do know that there are three main events each year combined probably do not bring in anywhere near the revenue that the super bowl brings in.

And if D* was going to carry it what would it cost all of us?

#18 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Is there a market to justify the cost to carry the channel? Does Comcast or other providers besides DISH carry the station?

Every year at Thanksgiving one of my sister in-laws, who trains horses and riders and all of the horse show stuff, refuses to watch football with us because she feels her sport doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I tell her that the numbers have to add up. How much revenue is HRTV going to generate. I don't know much about the horse stuff. I do know that there are three main events each year combined probably do not bring in anywhere near the revenue that the super bowl brings in.

And if D* was going to carry it what would it cost all of us?

I don't follow horse racing either. But in the case of Dish at $50 a month for 1 channel I would say they are not getting all that many subs in comparison to others a little more reasonably priced. That said, if Directv priced it this way presumably it wouldn't cost us all.

#19 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I don't follow horse racing either. But in the case of Dish at $50 a month for 1 channel I would say they are not getting all that many subs in comparison to others a little more reasonably priced. That said, if Directv priced it this way presumably it wouldn't cost us all.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer - the RTN package on Dish is a set of channels (not just 1) that show continuous live feeds directly from the racetracks (most tracks that send out a simulcast signal to other tracks are shown), as opposed to TVG and HRTV which show selected races (usually from major racetracks) and provide commentary from "experts" on whom they think will win each race (YMMV as to how "expert" these picks really are, but that's another story :D).

#20 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

There are lots of channels not currently carried by Directv:

Disney Junior
Epix premium movie pack
Military History
Africa Channel
Fashion TV
Anime Network
Fear Net
Numerous Spanish-language channels
Here TV
Funimation HD
and many more

Just because Directv doesn't carry Pets.tv doesn't mean they hate puppies and kittens. No one provider has it all. Many people have expressed interest in a wide variety of new programming & services we'd like to see from Directv, me included, but there's only so much the company can offer.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

spam firewall