Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Calling Daily Show/Colbert viewers...stuttering?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

I would say at least fifty percent of our recordings have a split second stutter like you describe at some point. It is not fatal but it sure is aggravating. Once in a while the recording will hang because of the stutter. Have to exit out and restart. Usually there is no option to resume, sometimes resume just starts at the beginning of the recording.

Very common words in our household now are %$#@&& DTV box, and I don't know why it does that it just does.

When that happens on my HR34, I usually can hit Skip Back, then immediately hit 30Skip and jump over the bad spot.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Right, so it would be the providers remuxing equipment causing the errors, right?

Possibly, though I am just trying to flesh out all possible causes for the problem.

Here's one take: Say I have the best decoder/encoder around. It converts everything to crisp MPEG-4..... except for a few shows that have used the xyz3.5b format. Would that be my fault?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Possibly, though I am just trying to flesh out all possible causes for the problem.

Here's one take: Say I have the best decoder/encoder around. It converts everything to crisp MPEG-4..... except for a few shows that have used the xyz3.5b format. Would that be my fault?

I would say it would be the fault of the decoder/encoder manufacturer, and your fault if you did not revert to the previous decoder/encoder that was working ok a week ago with that format, until the manufacturer of the new box can upgrade the software to handle the format correctly.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#24 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

It's not your equipment. It's a broadcast issue with Comedy Central. This problem seemed to have been fixed for the last several months, but it's back again.

Yes, and the digital sound is gone as well. I noticed it for a week or so.

#25 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well, no one in "Case Management" this morning seemed to have any information whatsoever about an ongoing problem. However, it's painfully obvious that there is indeed one.

It's funny how a seemingly little issue like this can affect one's choice of provider. For instance, my wife and daughter watch absolutely nothing on TV whatsoever besides The Daily Show and Colbert. Yea, I know. Whatever:rolleyes:. At any rate if we can't get those in acceptable quality...as we now cannot...then we're going somewhere else. It doesn't matter what else DirecTV offers. If you can't watch what you want, what's the point?

This....precisely five days after two beautiful, quick, HR24s walked in the door!:mad:

Frankly, if this doesn't clear up, we'll probably wind up inviting Dish back in. And I really, really, don't want to spend money on two providers....especially when the only reason is one isn't doing its job.

UPDATE: Spoke with the Case Management folks today, who said that yes, CC did have problems but they thought they were fixed. I gently informed them that they had been going on all last week and that it would be good to pass this on to engineering. I was promised a call back on it.

Edited by mnassour, 16 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...