Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to add a RAID to my system???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

I currently run a HR-20 with and external dock and 2TB HDD(6 months old)
I think that from what I have read a RAID method would be my best insurance against future HDD Failure.
Can I add a RAID enclosue and another 2TB HDD and still have the programs on my orignal HDD get copied on to the second HDD and be "watchable"?
Do I need to have the two HDDs be the same make and model?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I think that from what I have read a RAID method would be my best insurance against future HDD Failure.
Can I add a RAID enclosue and another 2TB HDD and still have the programs on my orignal HDD get copied on to the second HDD and be "watchable"?

RAID 1 (mirror) should be possible, up to 2TB..always best to have same make/model HDD..especially approved drives and/or recommended external enclosures..see the thread link below >>

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=183572

Good luck!

-=K=-

#3 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

It can be done but it's not simple. You cannot just move an HDD from a non-RAID configuration into a RAID configuration and keep the content. RAID controllers will add a layer of stuff on the drive to manage the RAID functionality which will slightly reduce the space available for the host filesystem. Here are general steps needed:

• configure new RAID enclosure for RAID-1 and put one new drive in it
  • initialize filesystem on new RAID enclosure by booting DVR with it connected
  • connect both enclosures to a PC (this might be a problem if all you have is eSATA on the enclosure)
  • follow instructions here to copy contents of old enclosure to new
  • put new enclosure on DVR and boot to make sure stuff is there and plays
  • move old drive to new enclosure (can do this while enclosure/DVR is on) it will start a RAID-1 rebuild where it will mirror everything to the old drive (this will take awhile - will be faster if you turn off DVR during process)

I personally have never put mismatched drives in a RAID configuration but it should be ok as long as the new drive is approximately the same. The RAID volume size will be the size of the smaller drive minus the overhead needed for RAID.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

While good RAID controller will keep configuration setting in NVRAM (what is need for RAID-1 ? Drive's status: OK, BAD, Rebuilding, etc. For RAID-0, add strip size) it wouldn't use one byte on the drives. So, it depend - some RAID boxes will go to rebuild RAID-1 with old and new clean drive; just need to know for sure. ;)

spam firewall