Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new BD player

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Check this one out. It has what you re looking for and more. AWESOME BD player! Hav had it for 3 month now.

http://reviews.cnet....7-35118527.html

Does that E6500 have the same hideous remote as the C and D series BD players have?

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mak

mak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

I got the DMP-BDT320 and like it a lot

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I've been leaning towards some LG players I've seen, but they also don't have Instant Replay. I think I'm going to be SOL on this feature ...

You ever get a new BD player?

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

You ever get a new BD player?

Rich

Not yet. Still searching, but not actively. I've moved it to my back burner...

#25 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I think the PS3 might fit the bill here. I will check tomorrow afternoon to see about the instant replay feature but IIRC it does.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Not yet. Still searching, but not actively. I've moved it to my back burner...

I want another one, but the new Sammys are getting terrible reviews. And the prices are still high. I might give an LG a try, I've given up on Sony and Panasonic, they just don't/can't upscale streaming content as well as the Sammys do and I watch a lot of streaming content.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   DJSGP

DJSGP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

One of the new Samsung "e" model BR players also features an internet web browser. There are times when it would be great to surf to and pop-up a website on the big screen...
The Samsung BR players, though, seem to be universally bad. Anyone know of others with this feature?

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

One of the new Samsung "e" model BR players also features an internet web browser. There are times when it would be great to surf to and pop-up a website on the big screen...
The Samsung BR players, though, seem to be universally bad. Anyone know of others with this feature?

That Sammy with the web browser got bad reviews, but they did say that buying a wireless keyboard and mouse would help quite a bit.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

I want another one, but the new Sammys are getting terrible reviews. And the prices are still high. I might give an LG a try, I've given up on Sony and Panasonic, they just don't/can't upscale streaming content as well as the Sammys do and I watch a lot of streaming content.

Rich

If you watch a lot of streaming content, why not get the latest generation high def Roku?

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you watch a lot of streaming content, why not get the latest generation high def Roku?

I'm really impressed with the Roku 2 XS... especially the PQ.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

For a few bucks more, you get a BD player that upscales standard DVDs to 1080/60p. Can't do that with a Roku and all the streaming I watch is upscaled to 1080/60p. I only stream from NetFlix and they only put out 720p on most of their streaming content. I just found a Roku the other day, thought I had sold them all. Do the new Rokus upscale NF's 720p? My older Rokus did put out a more than decent picture at 720p, but the Sammy BD players blow them away.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm really impressed with the Roku 2 XS... especially the PQ.

Do they upscale the NF content as the Sammy BD players do?

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Do they upscale the NF content as the Sammy BD players do?

Rich

Yeah the new ones are 1080p. They also do 5.1 NF.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yeah the new ones are 1080p. They also do 5.1 NF.

Do they actually upscale to 1080/60p? From 720p, I mean.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Do they actually upscale to 1080/60p? From 720p, I mean.

Rich

As far as having an upscale chip? I don't know, but it's output at 1080p.

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

As far as having an upscale chip? I don't know, but it's output at 1080p.

What are you using as a source of streaming content?

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

What are you using as a source of streaming content?

Rich

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, mlb.tv

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, mlb.tv

I know I can get 1080p on my old Roku if it's actually streamed in 1080p, but NF doesn't do that with anything but PS3s as far as I know. Or the makers of the devices don't allow it. Maybe the new Sammys do, I dunno. Only content marked HD on NF will put out 5.1 on the PS3s. Last time I checked. I'm paying over $40 a month for NF, so I don't use the other streaming providers.

Maybe I'll order one of the new ones and give it a test. I can get 1080/60p on the Sammys on any NF streaming content, but I can't get 5.1 sound.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I really like my Samsung. Loads super fast and hasn't had any problems with playing a disc.

The only thing you need to know is that occasionally you have to unplug them which fixes any little weirdness they get.

I am very happy with my Samsung 3D player. I have had no problems and really like the available apps in Smart Hub.
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

My 3D Samsung was/is absolute crap, I have no sound on boot up sometimes so I have to power it down again, the blue laser went bad so I only have the red laser working (DVD's only on that thing) But this model is only about 2 years old now. Other people's millage may vary but I don't think I will be buying a Samsung BD player again.

That's why I am watching this thread closely, seeing what people think are better players cuz I don't want that to happen again.

While I continue to rave about the Sammy's ability to upscale DVDs and streaming content (mostly streaming content), I gotta say there is a lot to dislike about them. The remote is terribly designed and should be back-lit, using it at night in a dark room is damn near impossible.

For quite a while, the counters would stop on the faces of the sets and just sit on the same number until the program was done. Happened when playing anything. Had a hard time locking onto NetFlix streaming, but that was because of a problem with my Internet provider. Oddly, I used a Panny at the same time and had no problems with the NF streaming.

Sometimes I have to load a DVD two or three times to get it to play, that's really annoying since my Sony BD player plays them on the first try.

But, with me, it's all about the PQ and I can't find a reasonably priced BD player that pumps out a better picture than the Sammys.

I did have the same problem Stuart had for a while and had to pull the plug several times, but updates seem to have fixed that.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...