Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new BD player

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   onebadmofo

onebadmofo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

I just picked up the Sony S280 for 39.99 refurbished, and shipped with no tax....great for a 2nd or 3rd TV...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mnelsonx

mnelsonx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

I think the PS3 might fit the bill here. I will check tomorrow afternoon to see about the instant replay feature but IIRC it does.

Kevin

While more expensive than a standalone BR player, I'll second the PS3 as an excellent BR/DVD player; it's great for streaming Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and others, or streaming from your home network. Oh, and if you care to play games, it can do that too.

I have the older model; newer ones are a bit more svelte and run cool.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

While more expensive than a standalone BR player, I'll second the PS3 as an excellent BR/DVD player; it's great for streaming Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and others, or streaming from your home network. Oh, and if you care to play games, it can do that too.

I have the older model; newer ones are a bit more svelte and run cool.

The PS3 is also one of the few devices that NetFlix streaming content comes over in 5.1 sound. But is there a decent remote, instead of using a game controller?

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

The PS3 is also one of the few devices that NetFlix streaming content comes over in 5.1 sound. But is there a decent remote, instead of using a game controller?

Rich

I use my harmony remote. Just have to buy the IR receiver for the PS3.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Or you can get the Bluetooth Sony remote. A little cheaper then the IR adapter.

http://www.walmart.c...ation-3/5607955

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Or you can get the Bluetooth Sony remote. A little cheaper then the IR adapter.

http://www.walmart.c...ation-3/5607955

Great! Now I gotta put the PS3 (my son has one in his massive collection of game platforms) and one of my Sammys side by side and see which one pumps out a better picture. Amazon has the remote for a tad more than Wal-Mart, but no shipping fees and tax will even that price out.

Thanx,

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

One of these days, I'm gonna break down and buy a Harmony remote.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yet another choice: the Nyko BlueWave Remote -- Available through Amazon for $12.99 - free shipping for Prime members.
http://www.amazon.co...38749549&sr=8-1

The only disadvantage to it is the fact that you have to use a PS/3 controller for power on/off.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Yet another choice: the Nyko BlueWave Remote -- Available through Amazon for $12.99 - free shipping for Prime members.
http://www.amazon.co...38749549&sr=8-1

The only disadvantage to it is the fact that you have to use a PS/3 controller for power on/off.

Thanx Charlie, but I'm gonna get a new BD player. We've had that PS3 for years and I've used it as a BD player a couple times. I want something new and Father's Day looms.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Just read a review on Amazon that said the Sammy e6500 only upscales standard DVDs to 720p. Not sure I believe that, but I was gonna buy one today and now I'm kinda hesitant again.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

I just bought a Sammy e6500 from Amazon. I tried two Sammy d6500s and they didn't work, but this is supposed to be the best one and I just gotta see if it works. Should have it Saturday, I'll post then.

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

I just bought a Sammy e6500 from Amazon. I tried two Sammy d6500s and they didn't work, but this is supposed to be the best one and I just gotta see if it works. Should have it Saturday, I'll post then.

Rich

Rich, when you post could you check a couple things?

Does it have front usb and does it play "avi" files ?

Does it upconvert regular DVD's ?

Does it connect to internet, if so, wired,wireless,or both?

chris

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Rich, when you post could you check a couple things?

Does it have front usb and does it play "avi" files ?

Does it upconvert regular DVD's ?

Does it connect to internet, if so, wired,wireless,or both?

chris

I'm a bit leery about this BD player. I know it's both wireless and wire capable, I know it upscales standard DVDs, but I don't know if it upscales as my three Sammys do to 1080/60p. If it only upscales to 720p, as one reviewer on Amazon (who I don't believe) reports, the thing's going straight back.

I'll post about the other things you asked about when I get it running, if I can.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

Just read a review on Amazon that said the Sammy e6500 only upscales standard DVDs to 720p. Not sure I believe that, but I was gonna buy one today and now I'm kinda hesitant again.

Rich

Since Samsung stopped using the Silicon Optics chip and started using their own. The PQ has gone to sh!t. Got LG! And don't look back. Now for monitors, and that's displays only, that's Samsung.

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Since Samsung stopped using the Silicon Optics chip and started using their own. The PQ has gone to sh!t. Got LG! And don't look back. Now for monitors, and that's displays only, that's Samsung.

Perhaps I'll try one of the LGs if this e6500 doesn't work as well (at least) as my other three Sammys. Those three Sammys are three years old. When did Sammy stop using the Silicon Optics chip?

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Personal observation, or cites, please?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

OK, it was delivered a bit ago and I've got it set up. Checked NetFlix and its being upscaled to 1080p/60, so that reviewer on Amazon was wrong. It does play avi and is both wired and wireless. I set it up for wired. It does have a USB connection on the front panel in a door.

Haven't tried to upscale a DVD yet...huh, no door, just insert the disc as you do in a car...OK, it's upscaling a standard DVD to 1080p/60...PQ is good, sound is good, looks like a keeper...so far.

The remote is smaller than my other Sammy remotes and not backlit...at least you can tell the front from the back, can't do that on the other Sammy remotes. Lotta buttons for a small remote, but not as bad as I thought it would be from the reviews.

I'll post with any problems, but this looks a whole lot better than the d6500s.

Questions? Feel free to ask.

@Drew: No replay button.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Sounds good!

Re the lack of lighted remote- I can usually squint to see the buttons to operate it, but unless I am doing something special, I just use the remote from the Sammy plasma.

I do hope we hear more about the PQ from CO.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#59 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

OK, it was delivered a bit ago and I've got it set up. Checked NetFlix and its being upscaled to 1080p/60, so that reviewer on Amazon was wrong. It does play avi and is both wired and wireless. I set it up for wired. It does have a USB connection on the front panel in a door.

Haven't tried to upscale a DVD yet...huh, no door, just insert the disc as you do in a car...OK, it's upscaling a standard DVD to 1080p/60...PQ is good, sound is good, looks like a keeper...so far.

The remote is smaller than my other Sammy remotes and not backlit...at least you can tell the front from the back, can't do that on the other Sammy remotes. Lotta buttons for a small remote, but not as bad as I thought it would be from the reviews.

I'll post with any problems, but this looks a whole lot better than the d6500s.

Questions? Feel free to ask.

@Drew: No replay button.

Rich

Thanks Rich

Would you say PQ on this one is as good if not better that your older ones? I know you were impressed with th PQ on the others as we had a similar conversion some time back, as I also have a "tempermental" sammy, but PQ on AVI movies are quite good.

chris

By the way, what's the difference between 'replay" and the back button?

Edited by satcrazy, 09 June 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Rich

Would you say PQ on this one is as good if not better that your older ones? I know you were impressed with th PQ on the others as we had a similar conversion some time back, as I also have a "tempermental" sammy, but PQ on AVI movies are quite good.

About the same PQ, but this e6500 appears to be a bit better on the software and hardware. It connected immediately to my home network, something two d6500s and a d5700 couldn't do.

By the way, what's the difference between 'replay" and the back button?

When Drew started this thread, I was a bit confused about that too. Seems like he's looking for a button much like the 8 second back button on the D* remotes. Haven't seen any BD players that do that. My "smart" Panny plasma has an interesting NetFlix application on it that does allow for incremental "backs", instead of just putting the film in reverse and running at whatever speed you set it at, it jumps backward one time, mimicking the back button on the D* remotes. Nice, but the PQ isn't the equal of any of my Sammy BD players.

Rich

spam firewall