Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new BD player

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

When Drew started this thread, I was a bit confused about that too. Seems like he's looking for a button much like the 8 second back button on the D* remotes. Haven't seen any BD players that do that. My "smart" Panny plasma has an interesting NetFlix application on it that does allow for incremental "backs", instead of just putting the film in reverse and running at whatever speed you set it at, it jumps backward one time, mimicking the back button on the D* remotes. Nice, but the PQ isn't the equal of any of my Sammy BD players.

Rich

I mentioned it earlier in the thread that Sony has it, but this is definitely rare on DVD and BD remotes. For streaming media, Roku has Instant Replay as well. I think (hope, really) this is something more devices will support, as folks are used to this ability from DVRs.

I have the Sony BDPS550 BD player and it includes the traditional Chapter Prev and Chapter Next buttons, but also includes REPLAY and ADVANCE buttons, which jumps back about 10 seconds and forward about 30 seconds during playback, working just like counterparts on DVRs. I never use ADVANCE, but I use REPLAY often.

The keys are in the center of the remote just above the PLAY button.

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Talk about some very worthless reviews on that e6500. Rich when you're done you should write a review there so there's something actually worth reading.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#63 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

My Sony BDP-S1700ES has the Replay and Advance option. Nice features. Wonders whe Sony didn't include them on the BDP-S780?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#64 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Talk about some very worthless reviews on that e6500. Rich when you're done you should write a review there so there's something actually worth reading.

Done, here's the link. I use "rich584" when I write reviews and sign them "Rich".

Rich

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

My Sony BDP-S1700ES has the Replay and Advance option. Nice features. Wonders whe Sony didn't include them on the BDP-S780?

I gotta wonder why the Sammys don't have it, but I can usually work around that. Would be nice to see that feature become more prevalent on all devices.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

Done, here's the link. I use "rich584" when I write reviews and sign them "Rich".

Rich

Well your review convinced me I'm going to try it out. 3d BR is the only thing I never upgraded to but with almost more 3D movies than I have non 3D I can do it without feeling the need to go buy more movies.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well your review convinced me I'm going to try it out. 3d BR is the only thing I never upgraded to but with almost more 3D movies than I have non 3D I can do it without feeling the need to go buy more movies.

If you do buy one and it doesn't work immediately, send it right back and get another one. Amazon's got them for $177, which is a bit much, but if it works it will be worth the price. Don't even try Samsung tech support, they'll end up telling you to get another one. Apparently there are still bad units out there. Can't believe I got one that worked.

Rich

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Well, it's been ten days with the new e6500 and I have very few complaints. The remote, while much smaller, is actually easier to use and sends its commands much better than my older Sammys. You don't have to point the remote directly at the set.

BD discs take a bit longer to load, but I've not had any problem loading BDs or standard DVDs such as I constantly have with my three c5500s. The PQ is the same as the c5500s. I like the progress bar on the c5500s better. The NetFlix button takes forever to load, nice to have it on the remote, but it's quicker to go to the hub and get on NetFlix there.

The Internet browser sux. Expected that. All in all, it's not as "glitchy" as my c5500s. In fact, it's not glitchy at all, I didn't expect that. I like it.

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

To make things even better, the e6500 downloaded an update that now allows it to play streaming NetFlix content in 5.1 sound! Not sure if all or just some of the NF is in 5.1, but last season's The Killings is.

Just gets better and better, so I bought another one.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 10 July 2012 - 02:19 PM.
Misspelled title

#70 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

To make things even better, the e6500 downloaded an update that now allows it to play streaming NetFlix content in 5.1 sound! Not sure if all or just some of the NF is in 5.1, but last season's The Killings is.

Just gets better and better, so I bought another one.

Rich

OK
really looking for another dvd player, and you've posted plenty, the one thing that I really need to know is what video formats will it play back on the USB drive, as I download alot and play back on my usb drive in my dvd player hooked to my plasma. My Sammy is limited, and so far have been lucky with AVI files, but I notice alot of MKV and MP4 files now which it will not play. Converting them takes too long.
So would you be so kind as to list the video formats the USB drive will play back in the e6500?

Thanks Rich

#71 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

OK
really looking for another dvd player, and you've posted plenty, the one thing that I really need to know is what video formats will it play back on the USB drive, as I download alot and play back on my usb drive in my dvd player hooked to my plasma. My Sammy is limited, and so far have been lucky with AVI files, but I notice alot of MKV and MP4 files now which it will not play. Converting them takes too long.
So would you be so kind as to list the video formats the USB drive will play back in the e6500?

Thanks Rich

I went to the Sammy website and got nowhere looking for that info. Fortunately, I took a new Sammy e6500 to the beach with us and I have the manual. Let me look...found a list of file extensions and MKV and MP4 are supported, but also found this note: "Some MKV and MP4 format discs may not play, depending on their video resolution and frame rate".

Here's that list:

AVI
MKV
ASF
MP4
3GP
VRO
VOB
PS
TB

That's pretty much all the manual has to say about what you're concerned with. I will say the e6500 is a much better player than the three c5500s I have. The remote (which could be a bit larger) is much better than the remotes for the c5500s.

Rich

#72 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Thanks again for taking the time, Rich.

That is a big help to me.

chris

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Thanks again for taking the time, Rich.

That is a big help to me.

chris

You're welcome Chris. I'd still be wary of the Samsungs, if you buy one and have the least little bit of trouble connecting or playing discs, send it back immediately. It took many updates to fix almost all the glitches on my three 2 year old c5500s and they still have problems with NetFlix DVDs. Haven't had a problem with one NF disc on my e6500.

Rich

#74 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'm back.

Been preoccupied with other things, back to the bd thing. after some further research [ media players, bd dvd w/ usb] I came across this.

http://www.cinavia.c...s/message3.html.

Have since found out Sony started this with xbox, continued with BD players, and apparently netgear media players also have this. It supposedly will be incorperated into many others [ players] as well, starting earlier this year. Could be a big problem unless everything [ media] is store-bought.

So, is your e6500 manufactured in 2011 or 2012?

Still happy with it?
thanks rich.

Edited by satcrazy, 16 August 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#75 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm back.

Been preoccupied with other things, back to the bd thing. after some further research [ media players, bd dvd w/ usb] I came across this.

http://www.cinavia.c...s/message3.html.

Have since found out Sony started this with xbox, continued with BD players, and apparently netgear media players also have this. It supposedly will be incorperated into many others [ players] as well, starting earlier this year. Could be a big problem unless everything [ media] is store-bought.

So, is your e6500 manufactured in 2011 or 2012?

Still happy with it?
thanks rich.

Still happy. Don't know when they were manufactured...2012, just checked. I don't play anything except NetFlix content on them.

Rich

#76 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I went to the Sammy website and got nowhere looking for that info. Fortunately, I took a new Sammy e6500 to the beach with us and I have the manual. Let me look...found a list of file extensions and MKV and MP4 are supported, but also found this note: "Some MKV and MP4 format discs may not play, depending on their video resolution and frame rate".

Here's that list:

AVI
MKV
ASF
MP4
3GP
VRO
VOB
PS
TB

That's pretty much all the manual has to say about what you're concerned with. I will say the e6500 is a much better player than the three c5500s I have. The remote (which could be a bit larger) is much better than the remotes for the c5500s.

Rich

October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#77 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have no idea what you meant, but one of my 3 c5500s died last week. It still plays disks but won't connect to the Internet.

Still have no problems with the e6500s. Don't see the prices falling on them either. I'm quite satisfied with my 2 e6500s. Pitiful web browser, but I didn't buy them for that.

Rich

#78 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have no idea how I posted in this thread yesterday, since it has been dormant for months, but it was several gibberish characters, so I deleted them (though the post itself remains).
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#79 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have no idea how I posted in this thread yesterday, since it has been dormant for months, but it was several gibberish characters, so I deleted them (though the post itself remains).

That's OK, it gave me a chance to post about the e6500s.

If you want to delete a post, just follow the deletion instructions that come up when you're in the post's Edit screen.

Were you imbibing when you did that?.... :lol:

Rich

#80 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

In my house, the most common causes of true gibberish are dogs, cats (when we have them), or great grandkids! (when they visit.) :)

I usually catch them before a post happens, but... :)

Edited by Tom Robertson, 15 January 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall