Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDCP Heads up

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

HDCP is coming to all premium channels. Some have already started more will implement it later this month.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Yeah .... tell me about it. :mad:

Sister just came to me complaining last night that our small 24" kitchen HDTV wouldn't display one of the HBO channels with the "Your tv does not support this program's content protection ... " message even though its specs claim it as having HDCP compatibility.

(Its only on the HBO and Cinemax HD channels for the moment)

Needless to say I had to switch it to component and I guess if they ever close the "analog hole" in the future I'm SOL for this TV anyhow.

For anyone interested though, they can test their TVs for HDCP compatibility by tuning to ch. 100 or 200. Strangely my Samsung T240HD in the kitchen fails the test, yet its slightly larger 26" brother, a Samsung T260HD we have in one of the bedrooms passes it. :confused:

#3 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

For anyone interested though, they can test their TVs for HDCP compatibility by tuning to ch. 100 or 200.

How is this a test?

My TV's are working fine on component and it surely won't pass any HDCP test.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

If you are watching through an HDMI connection to a DIRECTV HD receiver and your TV is HDCP compatible, or at least DIRECTV's implementation of it on their boxes, you'll get a picture on either of those channels. IF not its a blank screen with the incompatibility message and the need to switch to component cables to view the channel.

#5 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Will this affect shows stored on the DVR?

If people can simply get around this by using component cables, won't that only affect the rare 1080p programming as component is capable of carring 720p and 1080i? Or will they be down-rezzing the picture to something like 480p to "encourage" people to switch to HDMI so they can manage HDCP?

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

If HBO kills my component connection, I will simply cancel HBO. Then rent GoT from Netflix.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Will this affect shows stored on the DVR? ...

Yep, at least for shows recorded after HDCP took affect on the premiums within a about week ago I understand.

... If people can simply get around this by using component cables, won't that only affect the rare 1080p programming as component is capable of carring 720p and 1080i? Or will they be down-rezzing the picture to something like 480p to "encourage" people to switch to HDMI so they can manage HDCP?

Exactly, thats why rumor has it that in about two years the premium content providers like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. will insist the MSOs "close the analog hole" of the component connection by requiring them to either turn them off or force them to down-convert to only 480p max resolution for all their protected HD programming.

#8 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Does the HDMI directv provides even support HDCP it gave me HDCP errors with my Apple TV?

#9 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Exactly, thats why rumor has it that in about two years the premium content providers like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. will insist the MSOs "close the analog hole" of the component connection by requiring them to either turn them off or force them to down-convert to only 480p max resolution for all their protected HD programming.

And at that point I will likely open up a "premium channels hole" in the programming I buy, and reduce my monthly bill.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#10 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Ok, I don't exactly understand this so I will give an example and then tell me what happens.

I have 3 TV's. 1'is 1080p, 1 is 720p and both are HDMI. Will I have a problem with this?

The 3rd tv is an old analog tv. I am sure next year Directv will try to upgrade me to a 3rd HD DVR on it to make the whole home service work on all the TV's. Based on the fact that the 2nd tv I mentioned was upgraded from an SD a couple months back I know the DVR down converts the programming. Assuming I continue to have an SD tv for the third tv and I do upgrade to the HD DVR as I suspect, would this cause problems in seeing stuff?

#11 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

And at that point I will likely open up a "premium channels hole" in the programming I buy, and reduce my monthly bill.

:lol:

They industry has been threatening this for years to no avail. It sort of failed with music; video may have the same fate.

#12 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

How is this a test?

My TV's are working fine on component and it surely won't pass any HDCP test.

If you are using component output, you are fine. HDCP applies to the HDMI output.

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

If you are using component output, you are fine. HDCP applies to the HDMI output.

I won't be if they force downrezzing of HD content over component.

My problem is I have a very good AVR (Denon 3806), but it only has 2 HDMI ports. One is used by my BR player and the other by my ATV(3). I don't want to have to upgrade my AVR to give me more HDMI ports or buy a switcher. I like my things working like they are.

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,102 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I won't be if they force downrezzing of HD content over component.

My problem is I have a very good AVR (Denon 3806), but it only has 2 HDMI ports. One is used by my BR player and the other by my ATV(3). I don't want to have to upgrade my AVR to give me more HDMI ports or buy a switcher. I like my things working like they are.

Until I got a newer AVR with more inputs, I used a switch from monoprice that worked quite well. Remote control switching that I assigned the input button for each device to. Switching did take just a tad longer but it was very workable.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,102 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Ok, I don't exactly understand this so I will give an example and then tell me what happens.

I have 3 TV's. 1'is 1080p, 1 is 720p and both are HDMI. Will I have a problem with this?

The 3rd tv is an old analog tv. I am sure next year Directv will try to upgrade me to a 3rd HD DVR on it to make the whole home service work on all the TV's. Based on the fact that the 2nd tv I mentioned was upgraded from an SD a couple months back I know the DVR down converts the programming. Assuming I continue to have an SD tv for the third tv and I do upgrade to the HD DVR as I suspect, would this cause problems in seeing stuff?

I am assuming that you are connecting via composite. My take is that you will be okay since they do not object to 480i output from the HD box. The HD GUI will require you output 480i anyway so you can see the graphics.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 808 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Killed my PRO-HD slingbox viewing of the premium channels. Have to switch to my FIOS TV input in SD on the slingbox to view the channels now. Not that I watch movie channels much on my slingbox anyway, usually watch sports on it.
D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x59E (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x5BE (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/65

#17 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

ok, so the only way I can watch HBO and Cinemax on my slingbox with my home TV off is to unplug the HDMI cable, I did that and everything is fine. But what I don't understand is WHY do we have to do this?

It's especially strange considering that my installer specifically told me that I would receive a better picture quality with an HDMI cable (to be honest I can't tell a difference)

But again, WHY?? is it a legal thing? are people pirating movies via HDMI cables? Wait, that wouldn't make sense either, because the channels come in if the IRD sees that the TV is on. I just don't understand the reasoning behind this decision, other than just to inconvenience people.
Proud DirecTV Subscriber since 1.6.2012 :)
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

#18 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

stupid, stupid decision by the movie networks to go HDCP. You're just making ppl unsub from your packages even more. Stuff like Torrents, Netflix, Hulu, and Redbox will make those movie networks go EVEN more bankrupt. They want to get money, this is surely not a way to do it

#19 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Depends on the TV. If the TV is HDCP compliant then you won't have any issues. If your TV is not HDCP compliant you will have to switch to component cables and disconnect the HDMI cables to view the HDCP programming.

#20 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

:lol:

They industry has been threatening this for years to no avail. It sort of failed with music; video may have the same fate.

It has already failed, some one already found the "master key" for HDCP. So some one could set up their computer to tell the device that it's a TV. However the developer of HDCP (Intel) will continue receiving royalties because TV and BLU-RAY manufacturers will keep building their devices to support HDCP and producers will continue using the HDCP service to try and protect their content from people who are not smart enough to get around HDCP.

spam firewall