Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDCP Heads up

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

Depends on the TV. If the TV is HDCP compliant then you won't have any issues. If your TV is not HDCP compliant you will have to switch to component cables and disconnect the HDMI cables to view the HDCP programming.

Or sometimes even if your TV is HDCP compliant like one of mine. Due to some kind of glitch you still may have issues which is why copy protection is such a PITA and only really hinders lawful users and not real pirates. :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I got that once and rebooted both the AppleTV and TV set and the new handshake worked - in my case. Nary a problem since.

#23 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

This garbage hits NHLCI and I'm gone. I'll just cut the cord and watch hockey online with the NHL package there (and then I could actually watch on my iPhone too).

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#24 OFFLINE   gaperrine

gaperrine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDexter MI

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have 2 TVs hooked up to one receiver. The TV using HDMI shows HBO with no problem. The TV using component gets the message to replace the HDMI cable with component to view the program. If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV, the component-connected TV will display HBO.
Why am I being told to switch to component cables when I am already using them?

#25 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I have 2 TVs hooked up to one receiver. The TV using HDMI shows HBO with no problem. The TV using component gets the message to replace the HDMI cable with component to view the program. If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV, the component-connected TV will display HBO.
Why am I being told to switch to component cables when I am already using them?

The message is telling you to replace the HDMI cable with component cables, because the HDMI connection to the TV does not pass the HDCP copy protection test. Maybe your other TV is HDCP-compliant, swap the HDMI and component cables and see if that solves the problem.

#26 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

The only modification will make to my system for HDCP is to unsubscribe from any and all programmers who use it in such a manner that I can no longer see the programming for which I have paid. HBO has basically gone to hades in a handbasket anyway.

#27 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

This whole situation is ridiculous, with the ever increasing number of people cutting the cord entirely you would think they would maybe lower the price to increase the number of customers rather than inconvenience the customers they still have. The short sighted greed of the media industry is mind boggling! I will cut the cord if D* ever decides that my old component only TV is not good enough for their service anymore.

#28 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

This whole situation is ridiculous, with the ever increasing number of people cutting the cord entirely you would think they would maybe lower the price to increase the number of customers rather than inconvenience the customers they still have. The short sighted greed of the media industry is mind boggling! I will cut the cord if D* ever decides that my old component only TV is not good enough for their service anymore.

This isn't DirecTV making this decision, it's HBO (and behind them, it's the movie studios). They are stuck in the last century, and simply won't come to terms with new technology or business models, and their "friends" in Congress seem only too pleased to help them out. Remember, these are the same people who fought Sony in the famous "betamax case". If the studios had won that battle, there would have been no VCRs, and no video sale/rental industry, and the movie studios would have lost millions of dollars in business. These people just have no idea.....

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

The problem is most TVs don't do a proper handshake over HDMI when they are turned off. So the DirecTV receivers see that something is hooked up to the HDMI port, but it can't tell what it is or that it is HDCP compliant. Since it can't verify that it has to shut down all ouputs to prevent the content from being copied.

If you only have your DirecTV receivers hooked up to one TV then this should not cause any issues for you at all. The only people that might still have issues using one receiver on one TV are people with older HDTVs that only had DVI inputs that are not HDCP compliant (from before HDMI). People with TVs like that will have to switch to component video cables.

Donwrezzing of HD content over component (the Analog Sunset) is not happening yet, and I haven't even really heard of any of the TV providers talking about it. As far as I know that is only in the works for Blu-Ray at this time.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

ok, so the only way I can watch HBO and Cinemax on my slingbox with my home TV off is to unplug the HDMI cable, I did that and everything is fine. But what I don't understand is WHY do we have to do this?...

The message is telling you to replace the HDMI cable with component cables, because the HDMI connection to the TV does not pass the HDCP copy protection test....

The problem is most TVs don't do a proper handshake over HDMI when they are turned off. So the DirecTV receivers see that something is hooked up to the HDMI port, but it can't tell what it is or that it is HDCP compliant. Since it can't verify that it has to shut down all ouputs to prevent the content from being copied....

This is my problem right enough. I frequently record movies at all hours of the day and night, preferably at night, to the DVR, and then later, I play them back into my DVD recorder. Usually I start the copy, turn off the television and go to work. Now, as soon as I turn off the TV, the receiver says to use the component cables and goes to the "pause" screen. I have to leave the television on all day to avoid this, or unplug the HDMI cable. Really irritating!
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#31 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Here is an article about it: http://arstechnica.c...o-watch-hbo.ars

Now, tonight, I hooked my H25 up with component to my HTPC, and ALSO hooked it via HDMI up to my Sharp LCD. I can view all 4 resolutions (except 1080p) with the HTPC, but when I turn on the Sharp, I get the box telling me the station is in 1080i, but then a box pops up on the TV that "An incompatible video signal has been detected". The ONLY way I can watch via the HDMI connection while the component is plugged in, is by switching the receiver to 480i.

This is on ALL channels, not just premiums. I am trying to find someone else with two TVs in one room, and an H25 to help me verify this is being done by the receiver and not just a bug in the software.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#32 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

This isn't DirecTV making this decision, it's HBO (and behind them, it's the movie studios). They are stuck in the last century, and simply won't come to terms with new technology or business models, and their "friends" in Congress seem only too pleased to help them out. Remember, these are the same people who fought Sony in the famous "betamax case". If the studios had won that battle, there would have been no VCRs, and no video sale/rental industry, and the movie studios would have lost millions of dollars in business. These people just have no idea.....

I remember that "Betamax" case too. Good thing MPAA lost that case. I also think this HDCP handshake is more of the same. I'm wondering how long it'll take until that is hacked. It's happened with most other studio's attempts to handcuff the consumers (Region Coding DVD's, etc).
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#33 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

The problem is most TVs don't do a proper handshake over HDMI when they are turned off. So the DirecTV receivers see that something is hooked up to the HDMI port, but it can't tell what it is or that it is HDCP compliant. Since it can't verify that it has to shut down all ouputs to prevent the content from being copied.

I was getting the non-compliance message until I got a (pretty) cheap powered HDCP compliant HDMI splitter from Moniprice. Problem solved!
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#34 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'm actually shocked that they've allowed unencrypted HDMI all this time. I thought HDCP was pretty much universally supported by televisions. Even my ancient Panasonic plasma that required an optional DVI add-on board, supports HDCP as long as I use a DVI->HDMI cable. I do have a PC monitor that has non-HDCP HDMI ports.

AT&T U-verse definitely doesn't support unencrypted HDMI for any channel. You can't even listen to a MUSIC channel through your AVR if your TV is powered off because it halts all output with an error message as soon as it notices that HDCP is missing.

#35 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

This does nothing but upset/piss off the legitimate subscriber. Pirates have already broken HDCP protection and only legitimate subscribers are hassled. Way to go entertainment industry, this is an example of why your business models are failing. I don't pay to be inconvenienced.

I've been a paying subscriber to the premium tier for a long time but this is a deal breaker. As soon as this season of Game of thrones is over "Buh Bye" HBO. And my first option will be torrents that you recieve Zip compensation from, enjoy.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#36 OFFLINE   DFWHD

DFWHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I get the reasons for the HDCP, but my setups are not behaving the way you would have expected. A new TV has issues and older ones do not. Both D* and me can't figure out why:

This setup causes HDCP messages

TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30 (2011 model)
STB: HR24-100
AVR: Denon AVR-3312CI (2011 model)
Connection: HDMI 1.4 cables

This setup allows clear viewing of HBO

TV: Sony KDL52XBR3 (2006 model)
STB: HR21-100
AVR: Pioneer VSX94 TXH (2007 model)

TV: Samsung LNC32540 (2010 model)
STB: H24-100

TV: Samsung LN32A450 (2008 model)

The D* technical support folks could only say to replace the HDMI cable on the Panasonic with component because the TV was obviously not compliant (wrong). Not easily done since it is wall mounted. They could not explain why a brand new HDCP compliant TV and AVR were having this issue, when the older TVs in the house are not. I'm going to swap out the STB later this week and see if that might be the cause. For now, I'm stumped...
An HD Addict Since 2006 - Must Have More HD Nationals...

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

I was getting the non-compliance message until I got a (pretty) cheap powered HDCP compliant HDMI splitter from Moniprice. Problem solved!

I just bought a HDCP compliant HDMI to YPrPb converter from Monoprice just to make sure nothing they do will prevent me from watching/recording what I am paying for on my computer.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#38 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

I get the reasons for the HDCP, but my setups are not behaving the way you would have expected. A new TV has issues and older ones do not. Both D* and me can't figure out why:

This setup causes HDCP messages
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30 (2011 model)
AVR: Denon AVR-3312CI (2011 model)

TV: Sony KDL52XBR3 (2006 model)
STB: HR21-100
AVR: Pioneer VSX94 TXH (2007 model)

TV: Samsung LNC32540 (2010 model)
STB: H24-100

TV: Samsung LN32A450 (2008 model)

The D* technical support folks could only say to replace the HDMI cable on the Panasonic with component because the TV was obviously not compliant (wrong). Not easily done since it is wall mounted. They could not explain why a brand new HDCP compliant TV and AVR were having this issue, when the older TVs in the house are not. I'm going to swap out the STB later this week and see if that might be the cause. For now, I'm stumped...

It can be the AVR. Make sure it is hdcp compatible. Not saying in your specific case, but for those in general if you have a hdcp television but the set top box has a non hdcp AVR sitting between it and the tv, that will present an issue.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#39 OFFLINE   DFWHD

DFWHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

It can be the AVR. Make sure it is hdcp compatible. Not saying in your specific case, but for those in general if you have a hdcp television but the set top box has a non hdcp AVR sitting between it and the tv, that will present an issue.

Thanks. The receiver is compliant according to the owners manual.
An HD Addict Since 2006 - Must Have More HD Nationals...

#40 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I remember that "Betamax" case too. Good thing MPAA lost that case. I also think this HDCP handshake is more of the same. I'm wondering how long it'll take until that is hacked. It's happened with most other studio's attempts to handcuff the consumers (Region Coding DVD's, etc).

It's already been hacked, you can find a program that has the master key to the HDCP code on most torrent sites.

spam firewall