Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using existing UHF Remote Wholehouse Antenna Runs for Hopper System?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks. Probably better off just moving the Joey and terminating the un-used branch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

I am in the process of moving my Joey to a more central location because the UHF was intermittent at best, less than 40'. The Joey has a internal antenna, no way I know of to extend the range easily.

I would gently open it and add a piece of wire (2.4 GHz dipole) outside of the box, if I'm desperate with reception...

#23 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Years ago I reran RG6 & 11 to replace my old RG59 system that I have since been using to place UHF Remote antennas all over the house. (example below) The receivers are all in one location in a basement central core and are patched into the RG59 lines and I have great remote reception throughout the house. So can I do this same thing for a Hopper and Two Joeys that will feed my WH modulator system from this same location? OR can I do as I first did and connect them to my hot water heating pipes and more than cover the whole house. I switched to the RG59 from that cuz it was a bit more "confined". I could change channels three houses down. It caused "issues" sometimes.

Any information or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you . . .
. . . fb

FarmerBob, I like that idea of connecting your UHF remote antennas to hot water heat pipes. How did you do that? Thanks

Dish 1000+ / Dish 500 / SIRIUS Radio / OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4 / 26 dB Pre-Amp / SlingBox 500
119 / 110 / 61.5 / 118.7 / 129 / DPP44x2 / Duo Nodex2  /  Hopper w/Slingx4 / Joeyx1 / 500G WD My DVR Expander EHDx2

AEP HD / Xtsy / Multi-Sport / Blockbuster@Home / International Basic / Italian Raitalia / Heartland / Outdoor Sports
50" Samsung HD LED / 50" Panasonic HD Plasma / 50" Vizio HD LED / 40" Samsung HD LED / 32" Vizio HD LCD

#24 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

FarmerBob, I like that idea of connecting your UHF remote antennas to hot water heat pipes. How did you do that? Thanks

A Grounding Clamp . . . Took a length of coax stripped back the ground and, at first just wrapped the copper core around the pipe, then got the clamp to tie it down securely. It's now a real ground using a length of aluminum ground that I got in the initial 1994 DISH DIY Install kit. Yup, still have it. Never needed it. Had everything I needed in stock.

The strange things is that is worked for years, then just stopped. That's when I went to the RG59 and Antennas throughout the house.

When I asked the question if you could do this sort of thing with the Hopper not much was known about the antenna connection on the back of the box. Just the other night I saw an installation brief on the Hopper 2 and they spoke of attenuating the RF Remote signal by using a "store bought" attenuator. I guess they don't supply them anymore. So that tells me that the connection has to be a standard threaded coax. And in the pictures it looked like it.

Attached Thumbnails

• GroundingClamp.jpg

#25 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

A Grounding Clamp . . . Took a length of coax stripped back the ground and, at first just wrapped the copper core around the pipe, then got the clamp to tie it down securely. It's now a real ground using a length of aluminum ground that I got in the initial 1994 DISH DIY Install kit. Yup, still have it. Never needed it. Had everything I needed in stock.

The strange things is that is worked for years, then just stopped. That's when I went to the RG59 and Antennas throughout the house.

When I asked the question if you could do this sort of thing with the Hopper not much was known about the antenna connection on the back of the box. Just the other night I saw an installation brief on the Hopper 2 and they spoke of attenuating the RF Remote signal by using a "store bought" attenuator. I guess they don't supply them anymore. So that tells me that the connection has to be a standard threaded coax. And in the pictures it looked like it.

Thanks for the info. Wonder why it stopped working! I installed powered amp UHF rabbit ears on my two 722ks and it works great. I don’t have a Hopper system yet. Will order in a couple of weeks. Where did you see the installation brief on the Hopper 2? Have you seen this thread? http://www.satellite...na-Boost-on-922

Dish 1000+ / Dish 500 / SIRIUS Radio / OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4 / 26 dB Pre-Amp / SlingBox 500
119 / 110 / 61.5 / 118.7 / 129 / DPP44x2 / Duo Nodex2  /  Hopper w/Slingx4 / Joeyx1 / 500G WD My DVR Expander EHDx2

AEP HD / Xtsy / Multi-Sport / Blockbuster@Home / International Basic / Italian Raitalia / Heartland / Outdoor Sports
50" Samsung HD LED / 50" Panasonic HD Plasma / 50" Vizio HD LED / 40" Samsung HD LED / 32" Vizio HD LCD

#26 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Wonder why it stopped working! I installed powered amp UHF rabbit ears on my two 722ks and it works great. I don’t have a Hopper system yet. Will order in a couple of weeks. Where did you see the installation brief on the Hopper 2? Have you seen this thread? http://www.satellite...na-Boost-on-922

Yup. Saw your link way back in the beginning when I was doing mental Hopper install plans. Before it was really known how and how far the RF Remotes work. The piece I saw the other morning, 4am, if I can find it I will post a link. But it was a late night/early morning reading fest while waiting on overseas phone calls. I usually remember the gist and not the source.

#27 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yup. Saw your link way back in the beginning when I was doing mental Hopper install plans. Before it was really known how and how far the RF Remotes work. The piece I saw the other morning, 4am, if I can find it I will post a link. But it was a late night/early morning reading fest while waiting on overseas phone calls. I usually remember the gist and not the source.

OK, thanks. Is there a reason to use hot water pipes for the UHF extension?

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

yes: a) it's not grounded (but should, at least in CA we require that by code) and B) it's very long copper rod

#29 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

yes: a) it's not grounded (but should, at least in CA we require that by code) and B) it's very long copper rod

OK, thanks.

#30 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

OK, thanks. Is there a reason to use hot water pipes for the UHF extension?

It's actually a hot water heat pipe. There's at least two finned radiators in every room, if not under all major doorways. In the beginning I could change channels several houses up. And no problem changing channels on the outside TV's. It was great.

#31 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

It's actually a hot water heat pipe. There's at least two finned radiators in every room, if not under all major doorways. In the beginning I could change channels several houses up. And no problem changing channels on the outside TV's. It was great.

I had a 722k one time UHF got weaker and weaker. Did everything I could think of to get it to work. Finally Dish swapped it out and problem cured. Sometimes the DvR UHF port can go bad too.

#32 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I had a 722k one time UHF got weaker and weaker. Did everything I could think of to get it to work. Finally Dish swapped it out and problem cured. Sometimes the DvR UHF port can go bad too.

Makes perfect sense. So now that I think of it, as we got boxes, 722, 325, 512, that worked for a while connectivity dropped. So my current solution somewhat helps with failing hardware. But the hot water heat bit was great. And too easy to do. Too bad it didn't last long. Oh well, I'm set . . . for now.

#33 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Did you ever find a buying source for the M10 connectors?
Thank you and
Best of luck

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Auto shop what fixing imported cars ?

#35 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Auto shop what fixing imported cars ?

And is that suppose to mean? :confused:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

the nut, M10

#37 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

the nut, M10

So where does one procure this M10 connector? come on you can do it, just level with me. Who's got them, web page?, retailer, any help will be greatly appreciated.....pretty please........
Thank you and
Best of luck

#38 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 397 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

So where does one procure this M10 connector? come on you can do it, just level with me. Who's got them, web page?, retailer, any help will be greatly appreciated.....pretty please........

He said to look at an import auto shop.

#39 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

He said to look at an import auto shop.

I don't have one where I live, I'll move on.....sorry for the bother.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#40 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

The only source I can think of is to order the remote extender cable (for a Hopper) from Dish, cut the cable in half and put F connectors on the cut ends.

spam firewall