Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using existing UHF Remote Wholehouse Antenna Runs for Hopper System?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Did you ever find a buying source for the M10 connectors?

As I said in my last "book", it looks and they imply that is just a simple F Connector now. They talk about using a -10dB signal attenuator that you can buy at a local electronics store, RadioShack, so I would take away from that it's a standard F Connector. Plus I have a ton of the -10, -15dB attenuators from all the previous installs and swaps throughout the years. If only the tech that came by a couple months ago had a Hopper on board, I could have touched one and known immediately. I think as Matt G said it was an M10 fitting which may have only been on the v1, since that was the only unit known then, or it was hand me down info? Everything I have seen to date on the v2 implies it's a standard "F" fitting. Which would be great for me. Although, I do have some M10 stuff that I bought when RadioShack.com closed their B&M stores and I grabbed a handful of fittings out of a bin not paying attention to what they actually were thinking that they were "F's".

But did a quick IPv6 Google, really fast, search and came up with this:
http://www.wpsantenn...aleadapter.aspx
or
http://www.wpsantenn...andfgr09se.aspx
They look like the correct thing . . .

Seems like this measure is predominately a European Auto or Plumbing part size.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

The only source I can think of is to order the remote extender cable (for a Hopper) from Dish, cut the cable in half and put F connectors on the cut ends.

If push came to shove, that's what I would do.

#43 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Just checked my go to electronics parts store in Denver, Fistel's open since 1937, and the guy that asnwered the phone wasn't too sure about the specific M10 part I asked for, but then I find that over the phone inquiries are usually a 50/50 prospect. I bet if I went there I could find something. These guys have had everything at one time. Their like an old time hardware store for electronic parts.

#44 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

yes: a) it's not grounded (but should, at least in CA we require that by code) and B) it's very long copper rod

cold water copper pipe to a brass faucet, copper pipe from faucet to hot water would ground the hot water.

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

cold water copper pipe to a brass faucet, copper pipe from faucet to hot water would ground the hot water.

I should get in details of propagating 400 MHz RF wave to heterogeneous pipes, heaters, etc what would be constituted as RF antenna ...
so, it's not actual grounding, more likely distance and dimension of that copper pipe

spam firewall