Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question for 811 owners

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:28 PM

Hey Gurus:

If I go out and buy an 811 myself, is there anything "special" I need to do other than hooking up the dish & antenna inputs, and calling dish to activate the HD package?

Thanks in advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

Nothing special to do. You will have to buy a DVI-D cable if you choose that option to connect to your HDTV.

#3 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:22 PM

Hey Gurus:

If I go out and buy an 811 myself, is there anything "special" I need to do other than hooking up the dish & antenna inputs, and calling dish to activate the HD package?

Thanks in advance

you will also want to be prepared to:

Have many,many acquiring sat messages....

and even more "check switch" messages...

I hope this is an additional receiver and not a replacement...

#4 OFFLINE   wdowns

wdowns

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:34 PM

Plus your picture will be darker and you might experience optical audio problems.

I wouldn't pay 399.00 for the 811 but 149/199 would be a better option if you did not mind the growing pains some of use are having combined with numerous missed installations, lack of availability and no phone calls saying the installer will not be showing up for their scheduled appointment. At least I have a 6000 still boxed in the 811 gets tossed. I'm still a satisfied beta tester but the price was right.

#5 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 06:34 PM

I have an 811 and have not had to reboot it once. It does not have a problem that requires it to acquire signal either. You can hook it up to the tv with composite cables or component cables. DVI cables are not needed or required unless your tv has a dvi input and you choose that method of connection over the component or composite. The picture is a little bit darker, but you can brighten you tv controls a little bit to compinsate for that and then the picture is a good as any. Do not listen to the trolls that constantly bad mouth the 811. It is a great deal for $149 or $199 and worth the wait to get it installed. Most of the real bugs will be fixed in a software update. I had the 6000 and the functions work a a lot faster with the 811. The guide moves twice as fast. The star button to change picture size changes very fast without losing picture and sound like the 6000 does. It is a lot better receiver than the 6000 as time will prove.
jerry

#6 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

jerryez :goodjob:

All in all, I like mine too. Unfortunately, my first one did go bad. If they can get a few more bugs out and get the guide to go out two days, I think they might have a winner. Here's hoping!

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of Lisa Sullivan

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,082 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:17 PM

Nothing special to do. You will have to buy a DVI-D cable if you choose that option to connect to your HDTV.

Or, a component cable if you opt for that connection.

My 811 has performed 'almost' flawlessly, except for a minor blip after the "263" download. In all, it does what I wanted, a low cost entree' to HD and the patience to wait a while for the 921.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

Well, I really want the *921*... but that sounds like it has more problems, and will be toward the end of the year at least before its in a price range I'd be willing to pay.

Im stuck with dish on the DHP till next September... so if I want HD before then my only option is the 811. I can wait 4-6 weeks until Dish has them instock, then wait another 1-2 weeks for installation.. and provided that the installer comes on time, thats a total 5-8 weeks at least to get it at $149.. Ill go buy it now for $399 and put up with the bugs--- its either buggy HD or no HD ;)

spam firewall