Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Custom Guide List Reverting to My Channels

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I use a custom channel list and I'm finding that many times, but not always, it is reverting back to "My Channels" instead of staying on my custom list. I'm assuming this happens with the nightly update but it doesn't always happen (well, most of the time I think it does). Is there a way to make the channel listing stick?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

I use a custom channel list and I'm finding that many times, but not always, it is reverting back to "My Channels" instead of staying on my custom list. I'm assuming this happens with the nightly update but it doesn't always happen (well, most of the time I think it does). Is there a way to make the channel listing stick?

My Channels is the default list and there currently is no way to change this.

#3 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I use Locks with Hide Locked Channels to edit my list, with it My Channels are my list and I do not have to change off it.

I still have 722 and 622, I hope the Hopper would work the same.

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I really hope this isn't the final answer. It would be trivial to save the list name before an update and restore it after. This behavior is extremely annoying and doesn't happen on other models. So I know it's possible. If Dish thinks this is acceptable, then they're going to get a ton of complaints. I'd been giving them a pass so far, but no longer.

#5 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

I really hope this isn't the final answer. It would be trivial to save the list name before an update and restore it after. This behavior is extremely annoying and doesn't happen on other models. So I know it's possible. If Dish thinks this is acceptable, then they're going to get a ton of complaints. I'd been giving them a pass so far, but no longer.

It also happens on my ViP722k since L750. I doesn't bother me but my wife doesn't like it. She would like to set a default at "All Channels". :rolleyes:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#6 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

It does happen on other models, the software update that changed it to My Channels on the Vip receivers wasn't that long ago.

#7 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

I have to disagree that it's a default. I think if My Channels was the default, it would be active when ever I open guide but that's not how it works. If click guide, select my custom list, exit, and click guide again, it's on my custom list. At least for me, it's either when the DVR is turned off or possibly in the nightly update that the guide reverts to My Channels. 922 users have reported this problem for some time and it looks like it's never been fixed and was carried on to the Hopper. (FYI my 622 always stayed on the last channel list that was selected)

IMHO, this is a bug (either in the requirements of what was intended or in the implementation) that needs to get fixed to make the custom channel lists useful.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Sorry, but to my and other customer's discontent... this is not a bug but a feature that Dish introduced on other ViP receivers a while back and seems to be sticking going forward.

In fact, the nights when the receiver accidentally stays on your custom favorite list? That is actually the bug...

I can only guess at the reasoning, but I have been told multiple times (so I stopped complaining) that this is intended behavior for the receiver to default to "My Channels" after the nightly update.

I can only guess, as I said, that this might be a marketing thing to give more exposure to other channels that you would not see if you didn't add them in your favorites list. Things like PPV and VOD come to mind, since those are channels not usually added to people's custom favorites lists.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Sorry, but to my and other customer's discontent... this is not a bug but a feature that Dish introduced on other ViP receivers a while back and seems to be sticking going forward.

In fact, the nights when the receiver accidentally stays on your custom favorite list? That is actually the bug...

I can only guess at the reasoning, but I have been told multiple times (so I stopped complaining) that this is intended behavior for the receiver to default to "My Channels" after the nightly update.

I can only guess, as I said, that this might be a marketing thing to give more exposure to other channels that you would not see if you didn't add them in your favorites list. Things like PPV and VOD come to mind, since those are channels not usually added to people's custom favorites lists.

It happens on my 722k and my 922,look at the bright side when it's in My Channels check to see if anything has been added or deleted,then change it back,that's how I like to see it.;):D

#10 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

i sure hope this is a bug on the new hopper. It sounds like a problem to me I have had a 722 for a lot of years never had trouble where it would go off my favorites list and skip to my channels. I sure hope this is fixed there's Going be a lot of people complaining about this. I can imagine if my parents had this to be call me everyday to come reset their TV

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

I see Raymondg's answer. But I am wondering if he actually meant at all times it is the default. That was not the change made in the previous VIP models. If you picked ALL channels, before the change that would be the guide that showed. After the change, if you picked ALL channels it would go right back to My Channels.
However if you use a custom guide it would always stay on it. (If it didn't for you it did for most everyone)

If the true answer is the Hopper will not stay on a custom guide, and that is by design, even if just after reset each night, that to me would be a major annoyance.

#12 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

This morning I checked and the custom list stayed just like it used to on my 722s. So sometimes it stays and somethings it reverts back to My Channels. I haven't figured out just when it reverts though. IMy impression is that it reverts a lot, but I'll watch it more closely.

#13 OFFLINE   j_t

j_t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

This morning I checked and the custom list stayed just like it used to on my 722s. So sometimes it stays and somethings it reverts back to My Channels. I haven't figured out just when it reverts though. IMy impression is that it reverts a lot, but I'll watch it more closely.

My hopper is doing the same. Glad you posted this. I noticed the other night during the 1:00am reset/reboot of the hopper it reset to My Channels. Every night at 1:00am it prompts me to reset the hopper. I guess this is normal. I just switch from D*.

My joeys appear to retain their custom grid listing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...