Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows Home Basic and Ultimate are finally dead!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

http://www.zdnet.com...o-editions/4801

I'll take Pro, for sure. Now about that GUI....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Extra for Media Center, Extra to network on Windows domains? Ill stick with Win7, thanks.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Maybe the extra for Media Center will include Blu-Ray support.

Personally, I'm wondering where the one "Pro" feature I use ends up - being able to handle a remote Desktop Connection. You needed "Pro" or "Ultimate" for that.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Extra for Media Center, Extra to network on Windows domains? Ill stick with Win7, thanks.

There's no change for domains, just needs Pro. I personally think we should reserve judgement on Media Center until the price is announced.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Maybe the extra for Media Center will include Blu-Ray support.

Personally, I'm wondering where the one "Pro" feature I use ends up - being able to handle a remote Desktop Connection. You needed "Pro" or "Ultimate" for that.

Remote Desktop Host is still Pro.

#6 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Looks as though Microsoft is going to ignore owners of PC's with XP Media Center and Windows 7 Home Premium, or at least cost them a significant amount of money to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center addon (if their hardwar will support it).
I confess I haven't been following the talk about Windows 8 requirements, but one hopes the system requirements will be less severe than for Vista or Windows 7. I, for one, would appreciate faster load times anda less bloated OS. :D

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Other than the Media Center stuff, I don't see any negatives (and we don't know the price, the Media Center pack could be $20).

No one will get saddled with a Starter or Home Basic version preinstalled on a computer. Home Premium is just Windows 8 and will be fine for most users.

Sure, if you want domain support, Hyper-V, bitlocker etc you'll need Pro but this is good news.

Here's a chart of the edition comparison:
http://windowsteambl...8-editions.aspx

#8 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,977 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Does anyone know if it's true that Win 7 Ultimate users will not have an upgrade path?

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

spam firewall