Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports and Dish Network Dispute

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rainbird

Rainbird

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Here we go again. Fox Sports West (Ch-417) Angeles vs. Oakland not available. Dish Message says there is a dispute with Fox and to contact Fox to complain. Uverse is also affected. :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

oh no, not again. Dish and Uverse has certainly been in bed with each other because these guys can't get these agreements done. Very unfortunate

#3 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

The last time we DISH subscribers saw this was Fox Sports wanted to be in DISH's AT120 basic package and they wanted FX there also,so it looks like their at it again and if Fox Sports wins AT120 will increase $5. more a month.:nono2:

Say it ain't so! Joe!.:ramblinon

#4 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

And if Dish doesn't get a deal done, I'm heading away, away, away...

#5 OFFLINE   david91722

david91722

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Apparently, Dish Network doesn't want to pay to air the 25 extra games that FSW picked up from KCOP.

http://www.foxsports...088&feedID=3653

MISSING ANGELS GAMES?
If you're an AT&T U-verse or Dish customer, unfortunately, you won't receive all Angels telecasts this season. FOX Sports West this year has increased its TV schedule and will show approximately 150 Angels games in 2012. The additional games have been made available to local TV providers. Most distributors have decided to carry all the games, but a few have not, including AT&T U-verse and Dish. If you aren't receiving all Angels telecasts, we encourage you to contact your local TV provider to request that they carry the full-schedule of games.

If you would like more information, you can send an email to FOX Sports West at [communications@foxsports.net]. We will continue to update you on our progress as we work to make every televised Angels game available to our viewers.

From Wikipedia:

From 2006 until the end of the 2011 Major League Baseball season, KCOP held the television broadcasting rights to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team; the team and Fox Sports West signed a 20-year broadcast deal beginning with the 2012 season, making 150 annual Angels telecasts exclusive to Fox Sports West, with a selected portion of that schedule airing on Prime Ticket.

http://en.wikipedia....Sports_coverage

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

Seeyalaterbye.

Fox is the one that needs to wake up.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

Bye.

#8 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

is FOX SOCCER CHANNEL involved?

#9 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sorry if you had the misconception that DISH gets all the sports all the time,that happens because everyone would like cheaper prices, better equipment,ect.

But for sports it would be DirecTV or cable.

DISH has the consumer's financial interest more at heart,plus they tend to have more disputes just for that reason.

Those here who have been with DISH for awhile understand that and appreciate that DISH takes the subscriber's financial interest at heart and fights for cheaper prices.Because we know the sports we are viewing have been obtained for the cheapest price possible.:)

But even now and then even DirecTV has disputes over prices because the programming providers believe they can just raise their prices and it will just be passed on to the subscriber.:nono2:

There has to be someone who will look out for our best interest and I have found that DISH is the one who does this best after I have tried all the providers in my area,plus I really like their HDDVRs better,just my opinion.Good Luck!:)

#10 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Sorry if you had the misconception that DISH gets all the sports all the time,that happens because everyone would like cheaper prices, better equipment,ect.

But for sports it would be DirecTV or cable.

DISH has the consumer's financial interest more at heart,plus they tend to have more disputes just for that reason.

Those here who have been with DISH for awhile understand that and appreciate that DISH takes the subscriber's financial interest at heart and fights for cheaper prices.Because we know the sports we are viewing have been obtained for the cheapest price possible.:)

But even now and then even DirecTV has disputes over prices because the programming providers believe they can just raise their prices and it will just be passed on to the subscriber.:nono2:

There has to be someone who will look out for our best interest and I have found that DISH is the one who does this best after I have tried all the providers in my area,plus I really like their HDDVRs better,just my opinion.Good Luck!:)

Those who have been with Dish for awhile understand this?? Please. Plenty of us have been with Dish for awhile and we do understand. Just not that Dish has our financial interest at heart. Dish has Dishes financial interest at heart. Not that is wrong, just don't sugar coat it, because Dish has NO interest in our financial interest. Lack of 24/7 RSN's, Complete lack of 3D, wonderful multi DVR charges. I agree that someone has look out for our best interest, it's just not Dish. Yeah I know, if I don't like it I can switch. Thought I'd say it before some other comes up with that lame statement.

#11 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I say.... LET IT GO!
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Apparently, Dish Network doesn't want to pay to air the 25 extra games that FSW picked up from KCOP.

http://www.foxsports...088&feedID=3653

MISSING ANGELS GAMES?
If you're an AT&T U-verse or Dish customer, unfortunately, you won't receive all Angels telecasts this season. FOX Sports West this year has increased its TV schedule and will show approximately 150 Angels games in 2012. The additional games have been made available to local TV providers. Most distributors have decided to carry all the games, but a few have not, including AT&T U-verse and Dish. If you aren't receiving all Angels telecasts, we encourage you to contact your local TV provider to request that they carry the full-schedule of games.

If you would like more information, you can send an email to FOX Sports West at [communications@foxsports.net]. We will continue to update you on our progress as we work to make every televised Angels game available to our viewers.

From Wikipedia:

From 2006 until the end of the 2011 Major League Baseball season, KCOP held the television broadcasting rights to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team; the team and Fox Sports West signed a 20-year broadcast deal beginning with the 2012 season, making 150 annual Angels telecasts exclusive to Fox Sports West, with a selected portion of that schedule airing on Prime Ticket.

http://en.wikipedia....Sports_coverage

It's Deja Vu all over again!
the same thing happened here in Cleveland about 10 years ago. We lost half our Indians games the year after the OTA contract ran out on WUAB-43. So for one year we did get 150 games on FSN-Ohio, but the following year we missed half the games. They even blacked out WGN-America when they carried a White Sox feed vs. the Indians. In the end they did give us the games but there was almost a whole season lost to this nonsense.

BTW, a few years later the Indians left FSN for their own network STO.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

BTW, a few years later the Indians left FSN for their own network STO.

And there you have the problem in a nutshell. A channel wants more money, then loses one of the main reasons Dish would want the channel at the price. Then Dish has to pick up another RSN to get a sports team.

Edited by tampa8, 17 April 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

FOX Sports West this year has increased its TV schedule and will show approximately 150 Angels games in 2012.

And I assume they want to be paid a lot of money for each airing ... I wonder if DISH can get a rebate from KCOP for carrying them without the games?

#15 OFFLINE   selainec

selainec

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

If you online chat with Dish, they will tell you that its an MLB blackout. Then you talk to friends who are watching the game on Time Warner and know it isn't. While I understand that Dish doesn't want to pay the extra money, the fact is that when I signed my contract with Dish, they told me that Fox Sports West was included in my package. I just want Dish to do what they promised. When the contract we (Dish and I) agreed to is over, then they can say it will cost more for the renewal. To do it mid-contract with no compensation is failing to do what you said. If any other business told me they'd do something for a price, and we signed a contract, and then their expenses went up, they would have to eat it. That's the risk of doing business. But it doesn't give them an excuse not to keep their own contract.

Bad move, Dish.

#16 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

It's not always Dish's fault. Many times these MLB changes come mid-contract. I blame FOX Sports and the local teams for having these situations arise. This has happened before, as I posted above. They never learn and keep trying to get around the agreements when "extra" games are available.

BTW this is NOT a black-out! FSN provides filler programming (we got the infamous "Best Damn Sports Show"), so technically you are getting programming, just not half of the games. FSN knows this gets the subscribers mad at Dish. It's a form of extortion on FSN's part.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

OLN (Outdoor Life) which became Versus and is now NBC Sports Network pulled that trick a few years ago. They had a channel under contract, added NHL content and then withheld the new NHL content from providers who did not renegotiate their contracts mid-stream and pay extra. There were two OLNs ... one under the old contract and one under the new ... until the final deals were cut.

DISH will provide the feed that Fox Sports provides to them. If Fox Sports refuses to allow DISH to air the content there is little DISH can do - other than go to court and pretty much guarantee than the content will never be seen.

#18 OFFLINE   selainec

selainec

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I am NOT getting replacement programming. I am getting a message from Dish saying that they are not airing the game. I chatted with them and when they finally stopped blaming the MLB for a blackout, they said that Dish was not giving us the game because they didn't want to pay FOX for the games that FOX chose to move to FSW instead of showing free on KCOP (those games may not include the specific games we're not seeing). Obviously, FOX's contract with Dish allows them to make that decision. Dish is choosing not to pay for those games because they don't want to make our prices go up. This is according to their chat personnel (I talked to 2 different ones). My complaint is that they are not honoring their agreement with ME by withholding FSW's broadcast from me. Obviously, they have the right to do it, but it does me not trust that they are committed to what they told ME they were giving me.

#19 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

because they didn't want to pay FOX for the games that FOX chose to move to FSW instead of showing free ...

Your complaint is with Fox, not Dish.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#20 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I did not receive alternate programming, nor any message regarding any dispute. I just received a message that the game was not available on Dish tonight. Why have the channel contracts been negotiated in such a way that programming can be subject to dispute during the pendency of the contract? I had thought that, once carriage is secured, it is just that--secure for the duration of the contract. I thought that, if Dish carries a channel through a negotiated contract, except for content that is legally required to be blacked out, all programming will be available. I guess I was wrong.

spam firewall