Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports and Dish Network Dispute

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

In considering whether to eat my ETF with DirecTV and switch to DISH I have been hearing a lot of "DISH doesn't carry this team or this regional sports network in HD or all the time, yadda, yadda, yadda." Listened to this for a while until I asked myself, "Self? How many games do you actually watch? Do you watch them from beginning to end? Do you have nothing more to do than watch the games?"

And I answered: "No."

I'm a sports fan but frankly, I have too much to do to worry about molding my schedule around when my team is playing. (That's what DVRs are for.) Living in the Central time zone means most of my team's games are starting when I get home from work (6 p.m.); if I watch them at all it's probably for an inning or so when I'm preparing dinner. And about the only time I'll specifically decide to watch a game live is when I don't have work to do that evening, I'm not otherwise engaged or my wife isn't home. If I am working and have to find out what's going on in the game, I'll listen to it on Sirius/XM or MLB Audio.

So after getting it out of my system to avoid DISH because they don't have the sports DirecTV has, I'll be switching this summer, when my DirecTV discounts peel away and my bill goes up by $40.

So if you do go back to DISH you would get G4HD again and you could watch "Ninja Warrior"!!.;):D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

What station was carrying the A's v. Angels game in the Bay Area? Was it carried on Dish?

DISH has Comcast Bay Area channel maybe that one?.:confused:

Here's the thread for that information:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203829

Edited by Jhon69, 18 April 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

A's games are on ComcastSportsNetCA

#29 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Tonight Dish is carrying the A's-Angels game in HD on Fox Sports West 417. The last two nights the game was blacked out with a slate saying that "Tonight's game in not available on Dish Network." So apparently something was worked out.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,799 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Tonight Dish is carrying the A's-Angels game in HD on Fox Sports West 417. The last two nights the game was blacked out with a slate saying that "Tonight's game in not available on Dish Network." So apparently something was worked out.

Perhaps. It may have been a game already scheduled to be aired before the new games were added.

The Fox Sports West website still has the complaint post up and there have been no releases noting a compromise.

#31 OFFLINE   Rainbird

Rainbird

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

This dispute is about the Angles games that were formerly carried by KCOP (Channel 13). Fox Sports West added those games to their existing lineup. U-Verse and Dish do not want to pay what Fox is asking for these added games.

Edited by Rainbird, 20 April 2012 - 09:20 AM.
corrected channel number

#32 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I say.... LET IT GO!

I hardly watch sports. Let it go!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#33 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

In considering whether to eat my ETF with DirecTV and switch to DISH I have been hearing a lot of "DISH doesn't carry this team or this regional sports network in HD or all the time, yadda, yadda, yadda." Listened to this for a while until I asked myself, "Self? How many games do you actually watch? Do you watch them from beginning to end? Do you have nothing more to do than watch the games?"

And I answered: "No."

I'm a sports fan but frankly, I have too much to do to worry about molding my schedule around when my team is playing. (That's what DVRs are for.) Living in the Central time zone means most of my team's games are starting when I get home from work (6 p.m.); if I watch them at all it's probably for an inning or so when I'm preparing dinner. And about the only time I'll specifically decide to watch a game live is when I don't have work to do that evening, I'm not otherwise engaged or my wife isn't home. If I am working and have to find out what's going on in the game, I'll listen to it on Sirius/XM or MLB Audio.

So after getting it out of my system to avoid DISH because they don't have the sports DirecTV has, I'll be switching this summer, when my DirecTV discounts peel away and my bill goes up by $40.

Welcome back Ira.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'll be doing the same thing in August when my discounts disappear. With the new/returning customer deals, and being able to cut down to a single Hopper with a single Joey, I'll save about $480 in the switch and even after paying the $240 ETF, I'll make another $240 to put in my pocket. :)

I'm a boxing fan so in the move I'll pick up Epix with its European boxing, but lose Showtime Extreme in HD which is showing the undercards for Showtime Championship boxing events. Overall, a win as E*'s SD is so much better, especially on the EA!

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey, Genie
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#35 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

So it sounds like the dispute is not settled.

#36 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

For what it is worth, tonight's Angels game was carried on FSW 417 in HD on Dish.

#37 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

The E* HD sports situation is not that bad. Unless there is a carriage dispute as discussed above, you will at least get the RSN game in SD. Better than nothing.

As a Cleveland fan (Eastern time zone) I'd say 95% of the time we get the Cavs and Indians in HD. Not bad considering the scrambling E* has to do to keep the HD feeds straight. Now once everybody has been converted to HD tuners the SD duplicate channels can be eliminated and then there will be no excuse for not giving us our RSN's in HD 24/7.

One BIG excuse would be the cost. Now it your willing to pay extra for it, I'm happy. But I cannot afford to pay for more over priced sports channels that I don't watch. don't mind anyone watching... Just don't make me pay for it. :mad:
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#38 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

DISH will still air the same number of LA Angels games on FSN West as the year prior. Fox has decided to move games previously being broadcast for free on the Fox owned local affiliate KCOP to FSN West. Since these games were not part of our original agreement Fox is blacking these additional games out to justify additional charges to DISH. We have contracts with many channel providers, and to keep rates low for our customers we try to negotiate an equitable rate based on fair market value. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused our customers who are LA Angels fans.

#39 OFFLINE   Halohead

Halohead

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

DISH will still air the same number of LA Angels games on FSN West as the year prior. Fox has decided to move games previously being broadcast for free on the Fox owned local affiliate KCOP to FSN West. Since these games were not part of our original agreement Fox is blacking these additional games out to justify additional charges to DISH. We have contracts with many channel providers, and to keep rates low for our customers we try to negotiate an equitable rate based on fair market value. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused our customers who are LA Angels fans.

So is this the stance that DISH is going to take each Baseball season? I don't see how you're doing us any favors or that you have our best interest in mind. Nevermind that we all pay each month for channels we can't use (Asian, Hispanic, Shopping, etc....) or don't want. No matter how you slice it, we're paying for those games and DISH is not providing them - that's so wrong on so many levels it's crazy. I've been with DISH a long time, but now that I'm out of contract, I guess it's time to move on. I don't care if it costs more, at least I'll be getting what I payed for, that's what this is all about anyway. Please DISH, stop doing us any favors and simply give us what we payed for.

#40 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

You don't pay for shopping channels.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#41 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

One question is why did Dish agree to a contract that apparently did not provide for full broadcast rights of all programming on FSW? Why is FSW allowed to demand more money midway through the carriage contract? The contract should be negotiated to allow full broadcast rights for the duration of the contract, regardless of what happens to programming. I don't see the value of a contract that allows the channel to increase its rates when programming changes. The time for the channel to increase its rates is when the contract comes up for renewal.

#42 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

So is this in any way related to the airing of the San Diego Padres games? Is there a new Comcast SportsNet San Diego or FoxSports San Diego carrying these games? and if so what is the zip code range for the Padres territory.

#43 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,220 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

So is this in any way related to the airing of the San Diego Padres games? Is there a new Comcast SportsNet San Diego or FoxSports San Diego carrying these games? and if so what is the zip code range for the Padres territory.

There's a new FSN San Diego this year carrying the Padres.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...