Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking of replacing an HR20-100 with an HR34

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

I currently have an HR24 as my only other DVR. Since I only have/need the 4 feeds at the dish, I'll need a tech to come install a multiswitch for the 5+2 tuners needed by the DVRs, correct? (I already have MRV and wireless CCK.)

So if/when I order the 34, what else do I need the CSR to schedule, and how much should I expect to pay? I have the protection plan, although I can't see where that would make a difference in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

You'll need a Single Wire Multiswitch. The HR34 only works with the newer SWM technology, not the traditional multiswitch. A DirecTV tech can take care of that for you.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

When you order the HR34 it requires the whole home or CCK if you don't have so you won't have ask for anything specific.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

When you order the HR34 it requires the whole home or CCK if you don't have so you won't have ask for anything specific.

I dont have Whole Home or use a CCK and I have a HR34.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I dont have Whole Home or use a CCK and I have a HR34.

When you order the HR34 it requires the whole home or CCK "on the order" if you don't have so you won't have ask for anything specific to get a SWM installation which is required for HR34 install.
To clarify

Edited by naijai, 17 April 2012 - 09:19 PM.

Winston Churchill

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Moot point.

(I already have MRV and wireless CCK.)

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

One can have MRV without having SWM. The HR34 requires SWM. It doesn't matter if you're using MRV or not.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm disabled, so I wasn't with the installer when he ran the wires from the dish. My dad was with him, and he's not exactly up on tech. You can't tell him to connect to the component out, for example. (You have to tell him to connect the red, green, and blue cables marked "output") Don't get me wrong, he built hih own house a few years ago, and I wouldn't know where to pound the first nail! Just different interests.

Anyway, since we only have 2 dvrs (4 tuners), I think the switch is in the lnb, and we have 4 coax lines running into the house. Does that sound correct?

So wouldn't I need a SWM-8 inside, with possibly a new dish? Updating from an HR20 to an HR34 sounds nice. I'm living with my parents, and our taste in tv couldn't be more different. They have "Harry's Law" and "American Idol", and I have "Game of Thrones" and "Eastbound & Down".

Just to clarify, I should have all the prerequisites. (CCK, SWM, whole home)

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#9 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm disabled, so I wasn't with the installer when he ran the wires from the dish. My dad was with him, and he's not exactly up on tech. You can't tell him to connect to the component out, for example. (You have to tell him to connect the red, green, and blue cables marked "output") Don't get me wrong, he built hih own house a few years ago, and I wouldn't know where to pound the first nail! Just different interests.

Anyway, since we only have 2 dvrs (4 tuners), I think the switch is in the lnb, and we have 4 coax lines running into the house. Does that sound correct?

So wouldn't I need a SWM-8 inside, with possibly a new dish? Updating from an HR20 to an HR34 sounds nice. I'm living with my parents, and our taste in tv couldn't be more different. They have "Harry's Law" and "American Idol", and I have "Game of Thrones" and "Eastbound & Down".

Just to clarify, I should have all the prerequisites. (CCK, SWM, whole home)

If you have 4 coax line running to the house to the receivers, you likely have a regular ka/ku lnb which has a built in multiswitch. A swm lnb would only have one line from the dish and then that would be split with one line running to each dvr. When you call to order the system will know what you have had installed by DIRECTV in the past and whether the cck or whole home upgrade is required. All you have to do is call to order it, the order cannot be completed without the requirements being for the order.
Winston Churchill

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Wait a minute here guys, shouldn't he already have SWM? He said he has MRV and a wireless CCK. As far as I know the only way that would work would be with a SWM setup.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Wait a minute here guys, shouldn't he already have SWM? He said he has MRV and a wireless CCK. As far as I know the only way that would work would be with a SWM setup.

That could be setup with unsupported mrv as long as they are on the same network.
Winston Churchill

#12 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Why does everyone keep thinking I don't have MRV? I have whole-home, wireless CCK, and MRV. I simply wanted to know what kind of switch I'll need with more than 4 tuners.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#13 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

So can I keep the same dish, and just add another multiswitch inside?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

The question isn't whether you have MRV, it's whether or not you have SWM. You haven't really answered that. Are you using SWM and DECA for your MRV or are you using unsupported ethernet?

How many coax cables are hooked into your HR24 or HR20 one or two?

If you really are using a wireless CCK then you most likely already have SWM and DECA set up don't you? If that's the case then you most likely already have a SWM LNB. Just because there are 4 wires coming down from the dish doesn't mean that they are all being used. They might be old wires that the tech didn't get rid of when he switched the system over to SWM. Without you giving us more information it is hard for us to tell you what you need.

If you already have SWM, and the HR20 and HR24 are the only receivers you have hooked up, then you can replace the HR20 with an HR34 without getting anything else (you would get rid of the DECA adapter that should be attached to your HR20 and just run the coax straight into the HR34).

Edited by Beerstalker, 19 April 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

How can I upgrade from HDR24-100 to a HDR34 without paying $399.00? There got to be a way to by pass the cost?

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

How can I upgrade from HDR24-100 to a HDR34 without paying $399.00? There got to be a way to by pass the cost?

Call and ask. If you do it online, full price. Some have gotten discounts, some haven't.

#17 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Before you call, you could look at your online account, to see if you have an offer for a free HD DVR. If so, it shouldn't be hard to get them to apply that $200 against an HR34. Its possible you could even get it for free. I did and so has many others.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

The question isn't whether you have MRV, it's whether or not you have SWM. You haven't really answered that. Are you using SWM and DECA for your MRV or are you using unsupported ethernet?

How many coax cables are hooked into your HR24 or HR20 one or two?

Sounds like he has 4 wires feeding his 2 DVRs.

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Sounds like he has 4 wires feeding his 2 DVRs.

It sounds like he has 4 wires going into the house, but all 4 might not be used now. The 4 wires could be from an old legacy setup and the installer might not have removed them when he installed SWM.

As far as I know he can't be using a wireless CCK with a legacy setup, he has to have SWM/DECA for it to work. Until he answers more questions we don't really know for sure. Maybe he actually is using a wireless bridge and calling it a wireless CCK, I don't know.
-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

One can have MRV without having SWM. The HR34 requires SWM. It doesn't matter if you're using MRV or not.

I guess you meant unsupported MRV without SWM or can you get whole-home MRV without SWM? which i think you can't on legacy LNB set-up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...