Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ticket: $200, ST MAX $300

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I think you'll be surprised how little they offer this year....I'm guessing you'll be told it's 199 or they will remove it from your account for free.:D

...and I'm ready for that. I've been following the NFL way before DTV and if I have to go back to catching NFL updates on the ticker.....well take me back. Been there done that.:lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

I would guess this is an experiment on D*'s part to see if they can do better with a lower base price than with a higher price that they end up spending considerable time from their very best phone reps negotiating downwards for (I would guess) thousands of customers anyway.

That and fewer games on Sunday Ticket.

#103 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Gotta LOVE price drops and the tiers making more sense than when they used to have tiers (pay more for HD).

BUT I'm concerned that with the price drop, they will be less flexible with the credits. Last two years I've received everything under the DirecTV NFLST umbrella (including RZC, ToGo, Etc) for less than $200. In the $150-200/range I recall. I want to get that for everything, and not have a CSR tell me that I should just get the lower tier. That's my only concern.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#104 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I think you'll be surprised how little they offer this year....I'm guessing you'll be told it's 199 or they will remove it from your account for free.:D

And take no cash instead of the $150 I'm willing to pay? I doubt it. My guess is that it will be business as usual in negotiating.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#105 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

And take no cash instead of the $150 I'm willing to pay? I doubt it. My guess is that it will be business as usual in negotiating.

Maybe, but the real question is whether you'll get (or can get) the $299 tier for $150.

In previous years, $150ish (or less) could get you everything. It would suck if they said $150 or lower, but only for the $199 tier (unless you want the $199 tier).
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#106 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

...keep an eye on that $240 in credits. Usually those run over a period of say 24 months. Out of sight...out of mind....keep an eye on your bill.:D

I always tell them I want to pay it all at once and ask what they can do for me so it's not spread out. When I do that, I usually get the half off (or more) offer, which ends up being a large "one-time" General Retention Credit.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):

#107 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I always tell them I want to pay it all at once and ask what they can do for me so it's not spread out. When I do that, I usually get the half off (or more) offer, which ends up being a large "one-time" General Retention Credit.

....smart move.:D

#108 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I only want Red Zone. I just want that. I got it free last year but I know with my recent upgrade to the HR34 (and credits on that), I know they won't give it again for free. I wish we could just get the option to buy Red Zone Channel. I'd gladly pay $100 for the season of that.

I'll gladly pay $7-$10 a month to get the Red Zone by itself, but I know better than that. I'll go back to watching my local affils along with NY/LA (provided they don't go away when I move this summer)....
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#109 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just to be sure. Auto renew can be canceled at any point until the first game of the regular season starts right? Preseason doesn't count? My wife hasnt decided yet whether she wants ST, even at this price.

#110 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just to be sure. Auto renew can be canceled at any point until the first game of the regular season starts right? Preseason doesn't count?

That is correct, since preseason isn't part of the Sunday Ticket package.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#111 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Press Release:

It's a gimmick!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#112 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

It's a gimmick!

A gimmick for what?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#113 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I look at the pricing like this :

$200 - Watch all the commercials -time outs-listen to the announces babel :nono2:

$300- Watch The red zone (no Comercials) Just Big Ears flapping in the back ground :) and then turning to any game in OT after 6:45 pm Eastern that is not carried by the local channels - So I don't have to Watch the PRE-BAbble & Re-run Highlights I saw live -before the Sunday night Game :biggthump
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#114 OFFLINE   Montel

Montel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I am a Red Zone only fan - I even watched it when my team (49ers) was on local channels, especially since I thought they wouldn't be near as good as they were last year...I didn't miss much as they showed most highlights and switched to the game when it was important. Also, at my last home I didn't have an antenna to get HD Locals, so switching from HD Red Zone to the SD Local to watch a game was painful.

I would like to try to get RedZone stand alone again - Comcast, Dish offer it (NFL version)...so DTV is at a competitive disadvantage. The $200 price if it included RedZone might make me bite, but $300 is a bit steep. I would probably pay for RedZone if it came in the Sports pack or as a separate channel at $49-$99 for the season.

#115 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

I am a Red Zone only fan - I even watched it when my team (49ers) was on local channels, especially since I thought they wouldn't be near as good as they were last year...I didn't miss much as they showed most highlights and switched to the game when it was important. Also, at my last home I didn't have an antenna to get HD Locals, so switching from HD Red Zone to the SD Local to watch a game was painful.

I would like to try to get RedZone stand alone again - Comcast, Dish offer it (NFL version)...so DTV is at a competitive disadvantage. The $200 price if it included RedZone might make me bite, but $300 is a bit steep. I would probably pay for RedZone if it came in the Sports pack or as a separate channel at $49-$99 for the season.

It NOT the same Version. If you have the comcast or Dish Version then you are at the disadvantage.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#116 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Ive seen both for years & i like the non directv version better.

Dont have to listen to "big ears" + they basically stay to the end where directv bails early sometimes.

#117 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

If you auto-renew you usually get a little of off of the full price. Anyone know, first, which tier auto-renew will give you, and, second, what the auto-renew discount will be?

#118 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Ive seen both for years & i like the non directv version better.

Dont have to listen to "big ears" + they basically stay to the end where directv bails early sometimes.

Ditto. Much prefer the RZC through FiOS than D*.

#119 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

If you auto-renew you usually get a little of off of the full price. Anyone know, first, which tier auto-renew will give you, and, second, what the auto-renew discount will be?

I just looked at my account online and it didnt come up as auto-renew for the first time in six years. Im guessing the $39.99/ 5 months will be the best published price. Probably worth a phone call to verify.

#120 OFFLINE   Zimmy

Zimmy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm disappointed.
I care more about the To Go and Red Zone then anything else.

But not sure it is worth $100 more to me.

It's a pretty smart move on their part, they made it affordable to the lowest common denominator.

DirecTV could make it better by just offering Red Zone for around $60 total.
I would get that in a second.

My biggest issue with the standard Sunday Ticket is it gets worse every year.
I can understand not showing my local team when they don't sell out but there is no excuse for blacking out the out of market games that the TV networks are playing.
Especially with the To Go app.
So, if I am in my backyard grilling some BBQ, my options are limited when watching on my iPad, usually the A games.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...