Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ticket: $200, ST MAX $300

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   z28lt1

z28lt1

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I know how it works, and I can understand why they want it that way with the actual Satellite channels in your home.

I do not understand their thinking with the To-Go apps. There should be no blackouts whatsoever on the To-Go apps. Obviously if you are using the To-Go app you are not at home, and therefore you cannot watch your local station to see the game. So your local channel isn't going to get to count you as a viewer no matter what. It's not going to hurt their numbers at all if you can catch the game away from your house on your phone/tablet. I'm fairly certain nobody in Chicago is going to sit at home and watch the Bears game on their iPad so they can see the Detroit Fox stations coverage instead of the local Chicago Fox station on their big screen TV.

Football is a destination tv event, in that people arrange schedule to watch it. Picture this, your home team is on the TV and you want to watch. Wife begs you to go the mall and wait while she tries on dresses. If you have local games on your ipad, you think "sure why not, I won't miss the game at all and I'll score some huge wife-points". If you don't, you tell her to pound sand you are staying home, watching the game. Besides, thats why they invented mirrors, and you weren't going to tell her that her a@@ looked big in that dress even if it does.

I'm sure its not a big number, but for football, I bet having it mobile does effect the numbers a little. Ditch To-Go and get a slingbox or like device and you won't have to worry about the local black-out problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Football is a destination tv event, in that people arrange schedule to watch it. Picture this, your home team is on the TV and you want to watch. Wife begs you to go the mall and wait while she tries on dresses. If you have local games on your ipad, you think "sure why not, I won't miss the game at all and I'll score some huge wife-points". If you don't, you tell her to pound sand you are staying home, watching the game. Besides, thats why they invented mirrors, and you weren't going to tell her that her a@@ looked big in that dress even if it does.

I'm sure its not a big number, but for football, I bet having it mobile does effect the numbers a little. Ditch To-Go and get a slingbox or like device and you won't have to worry about the local black-out problem.

My wife doesn't ask me to go. She knows it invokes tears of laughter. Her family got together on Christmas Eve last year and while I would have drummed up an excuse not to go no matter what day it was, the fact that the NFL played pretty much their full schedule that day she didn't even bother asking. She just instantly told them I wouldn't be there.

#143 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

For the price of the upgraded package difference, you can get a Vulkano and watch everything on your phone.

Plus 1.

#144 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

It's SUNDAY TICKET to go, not NFL Sunday to go. You get the games on NFL ST to go you would get if you were in a house in that market watching NFL ST. MLB.TV is the same way. It doesn't matter that you purchased the mobile app. Regardless of where you are you only get games considered out of market. Period.

Does anyone know whether they utilize the GPS on your phone when they do this. For example, if I were to be in Florida, would I be able to see the Jets and Giants game that week, even though my account has a New York address or would I actually be able to see the games that the local CBS and Fox stations are airing?

#145 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

I applaud D*'s efforts here, they clearly are listening.
I will miss watching games on my iPhone when I had to, and calling up stats on on my iPad during the game. But they both were a bit wonky last year, and unreliable. I can live without them if I have to.
BTW
I see no mention that player tracker is on Max package only on the web site.
I believe it is included with basic package.

#146 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Or do what I do. Hit "record" on the dvr and make the wife happy while you still get to see the game. I refuse to be a slave to a tv schedule. I watch when it's convenient for me. The whole purpose of a dvr.

#147 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

I know how it works, and I can understand why they want it that way with the actual Satellite channels in your home.

I do not understand their thinking with the To-Go apps. There should be no blackouts whatsoever on the To-Go apps. Obviously if you are using the To-Go app you are not at home, and therefore you cannot watch your local station to see the game. So your local channel isn't going to get to count you as a viewer no matter what. It's not going to hurt their numbers at all if you can catch the game away from your house on your phone/tablet. I'm fairly certain nobody in Chicago is going to sit at home and watch the Bears game on their iPad so they can see the Detroit Fox stations coverage instead of the local Chicago Fox station on their big screen TV.

What's next, are they going to start blacking out the games on the radio so you can't listen in your car? I know this is covered by seperate agreements, blah, blah, blah, but it's the same kind of mentality that's going on here.

The NFLST is not allowed to show games that your local channels carry. The To Go App is for NFLST channels only and not all games that are on a given Sunday. If your local channel ever comes out with a streaming app then you're fine and could stream it on there. The reason it's blacked out on To Go is because DIRECTV does not have the rights to broadcast the live game in that market including mobile devices. Mobility is a huge part of contract negotiations now and it's going to be as regulated as regular TV so it's not abused easily. I can understand not liking the rules but hopefully they make more sense now.

Radio stations pay for the right to broadcast the games as well however it's not nearly as lucrative as the TV deals so there are less restrictions.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#148 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I do not understand their thinking with the To-Go apps. There should be no blackouts whatsoever on the To-Go apps. Obviously if you are using the To-Go app you are not at home, and therefore you cannot watch your local station to see the game. So your local channel isn't going to get to count you as a viewer no matter what.

I suspect that while people will be using the To-Go app while away from home...the account itself (and corresponding location) is still the key factor is assigning Sunday Ticket access authority.

Otherwise...there would literally be millions of possibilities in terms of what local stations could and could not be allowed based on numerous potential locations. That would have to be policed to assure Sunday Ticket license compliance with the NFL. That would be an engineering nightmare - a blanket "anything goes" access would not meet NFL rules.

Based on these scenarios, it makes perfect sense of how it works now, to assure NFL blackout compliance. That said...the bigger issue surrounds the NFL blackout rules themselves, not how they are executed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#149 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

On the To Go app, they only started doing that last year for me.

So youre saying you had gotten local games on that app before ?

#150 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I suspect that while people will be using the To-Go app while away from home...the account itself (and corresponding location) is still the key factor is assigning Sunday Ticket access authority.

Otherwise...there would literally be millions of possibilities in terms of what local stations could and could not be allowed based on numerous potential locations. That would have to be policed to assure Sunday Ticket license compliance with the NFL. That would be an engineering nightmare - a blanket "anything goes" access would not meet NFL rules.

Based on these scenarios, it makes perfect sense of how it works now, to assure NFL blackout compliance. That said...the bigger issue surrounds the NFL blackout rules themselves, not how they are executed.

DTV could easily do this. MLB does it filtering on IP address and they have to do it on a daily basis. The mobile IP filtering doesn't work real well though.

#151 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

DTV could easily do this. MLB does it filtering on IP address and they have to do it on a daily basis. The mobile IP filtering doesn't work real well though.

Exactly....there are simply too many variables.

The only way to assure compliance to NFL blackout rules is to be absolute in enforcement. I suspect the DirecTV agreement with the NFL for Sunday Ticket requires it.

So it comes down to home location (only), anything goes (which violates NFL requirements), or something else in between (which is highly complex and costly to enforce).

Like an earlier poster indicated, the safe road was traveled for this mandate.

It would seem to be more worthwhile challenging the actual rules themselves in contrast to those who look to comply with them.

#152 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Is there ANY chance Red Zone will be offered as a standalone product? I know the version on cable isn't the same exact thing as the D* version, but it would be great to be able to add it by itself independently of ST and/or To-Go.

#153 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Is there ANY chance Red Zone will be offered as a standalone product? I know the version on cable isn't the same exact thing as the D* version, but it would be great to be able to add it by itself independently of ST and/or To-Go.

Im curious if they will do that this year or not. In the past the mobile part and online part of Sunday Ticket was $50. Now they are adding Red Zone to that and making it $100. I myself dont want Red Zone but want the Mobile and online part of it but not for double the price.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#154 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

After years of thinking about bailing...I did that last year and missed it.

Based on the reduced pricing, I just "re-enlisted" in Sunday Ticket for this year.

#155 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Is there ANY chance Red Zone will be offered as a standalone product?

If youre talking unofficially i would say yes there is a chance since last year they did give it to some "under the table."

#156 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

we'll just have to wait and see closer to time.

#157 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

On the To Go app, they only started doing that last year for me.

So youre saying you had gotten local games on that app before ?

Guess we will never know.

#158 OFFLINE   Bobsacto

Bobsacto

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Love the RZC watched the Verizon Wireless version on my TV last year through HDMI connection out of the phone when I was home decent picture. Last year was free for LTE customers don't know what the cost will be this season.

#159 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

I still haven't decided for sure yet.

I've not had ST for the last two years, and haven't missed it at all.

I mean we have the:
Sunday Afternoon - 3 games
Sunday Night - 1 Game
Monday Night - 1 Game

Plus, all the special games like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc and you realize there are actually quite a few games shown.

Of course it doesn't hurt that my favorite team hasn't been as good the past couple of years, so it hasn't bothered me that I couldn't see them.

I still wish they'd come up with NFL.TV and sell an online package (like MLB.TV) for WAY cheaper.

It just feels weird to have to pay 200 dollars to get the number of games compared to what I get with MLB.TV.

Still, it's a tempting offer, so we'll have to see.

#160 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

I still haven't decided for sure yet.

I've not had ST for the last two years, and haven't missed it at all.

I mean we have the:
Sunday Afternoon - 3 games
Sunday Night - 1 Game
Monday Night - 1 Game

Plus, all the special games like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc and you realize there are actually quite a few games shown.

Of course it doesn't hurt that my favorite team hasn't been as good the past couple of years, so it hasn't bothered me that I couldn't see them.

I still wish they'd come up with NFL.TV and sell an online package (like MLB.TV) for WAY cheaper.

It just feels weird to have to pay 200 dollars to get the number of games compared to what I get with MLB.TV.

Still, it's a tempting offer, so we'll have to see.

Just some points to your points:

- We here in NY because of giants/jets DH rules dont get 3 games alot in fact as it stands now there are 7 weeks where we will only get 2 games.
Week 1 there are 9 games @ 1:00 including Luck & RG3 debuts but we only get 1 game then only 1 game @ 4:00.

- Even if there are 3 obviously it doesnt mean the game we want to see most is 1 of them.

- You get more games with mlb because the games arent as important....you win you lose you win you lose.
The cards lost almost 80 games last year & still made the playoffs while the titans lost 7 & didnt make the playoffs....partly why the saturday mlb game gets a 2 rating while snf gets a 13.

- There are no christmas games this year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...