Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is anyone actually happy with Dish?

hopper

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

did I mention EVEN??

I asked if the channels you wanted were in a cheaper pack on D* than E*.
Don't go by number of channels you get, go by your bottom line.

You may be able to get the cheapest E* package and add the sports pack for $7 if the channels you want are included.

AAH, I bet it's the NBCSC formerly Versus, you are complaining about. That network charges the providers an arm and a leg almost as bad as ESPN (which demands to be in every pack and charges almost more than some premium channels). That's not the providers fault. The alternative is for E* or any other provider to not carry the network at all.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Interesting reading the replies. I am also currently a D* customer out of contract and am thinking of jumping to Dish and the Hopper system. I would have to go with the 2 Hopper setup with the added cost up front for the additional tuners. I am about fed up with my unbelievable slow HD receivers (2 HD23's), and have heard good things so far about the Hopper/Joey setup. Even though it has just been released it seems much more responsive than these sluggish D* receivers. So I may be making the jump soon. I hear that D* may be working on a solution to the sluggish HD problem. I'll believe it when/if I see it. I'll give them a few weeks and if there is no improvement...I'm out.

#23 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

I have been with DISH since August, 1998. With only a few minor items, I have been very satisfied with their service. As any provider will have problems, I feel that DISH very quickly took care of any issue I did have. So, unless something major happens, I do not see myself moving to anothe rprovider any time soon.

#24 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I too have been with Dish almost since they started, a poster here since they started!! So I guess it goes without saying I have been very happy with Dish overall.

#25 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I've been with Dish continously since Oct 2000. They mostly meet my expectations, but as Stewart said - any multichannel provider is going to have some pluses and minuses. Maybe Sometime I can upgrade to an HD subscription system.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#26 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Been with Dish for about 5 years now, and even worked for them for a while. Cant be happier with the service.

#27 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

I am more than happy with Dish Network! I have been with them since 03 after leaving Charter. I have really had no problems other than a lightening strike that took out the modem of my first 722 and that a replacement was sent out and I got two days later.

I now have the 722K and love the dual OTA tuner, which is why I am waiting for that capability for the new Hopper and then I will upgrade to that system.

#28 OFFLINE   psdstu

psdstu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Been with Dish for awhile now and my only real complaint has been there lack of HD locals in my DMA, and even that would be a little easier to handle if Dish would at least layout there plan to roll-out the missing HD locals..... I'm guessing that somewhere in the Corp HQ someone has a plan put together.

#29 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

Happy dish customer here, had them since '02. Love my 722 dvr. No major issues in 10 years. I did have my service bundled with my phone/internet. When I dropped my landline I got unbundled, Dish is continuing my $5/month discount for an additional 6 months. I thought that was nice even though they didn't have to. I have always had very good customer service.

#30 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

Okay, I'm convinced. Install is scheduled for Saturday morning. I'll report back once I've had a chance to put the Hopper through its paces.

Why the Hopper for a 1-set install? The prime time feature, the fact that it has a fast processor, the future compatibility if I ever add a second set. I'll live without using my antennas for now and see how it goes.

#31 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

I've been mostly happy with Dish since 1999 (Dishplayer 7100 frustrations notwithstanding). I have another round of decisions coming up as to whether Dish is still right for me now that CableCards support 4 streams and Dish wants $7/mo for each Joey.

#32 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Okay, I'm convinced. Install is scheduled for Saturday morning. I'll report back once I've had a chance to put the Hopper through its paces.

Why the Hopper for a 1-set install? The prime time feature, the fact that it has a fast processor, the future compatibility if I ever add a second set. I'll live without using my antennas for now and see how it goes.

Sounds like you have done your homework and asked questions. Congrats. Just to cover the one big difference of Dish and Direct, Dish is less likely to have your local pro team in HD for every game and in general direct carries most every sport and in HD. On the other hand Dish has about 16 to 18 more non sports channels in HD than Direct.

#33 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have a single Hopper / no Joeys for the same reasons. I think you'll be pleased. You can at least continue to watch OTA in the meantime by connecting your antenna directly to your TV of course.

A notable difference between DirecTV and Dish is if you add an external drive, it adds capacity rather than replacing it. You can also move it from one DVR to another without losing your recordings, should you ever add or replace yours. And the remote will back up and restore all your settings and favorites when you get a replacement.

Be aware that Hopper needs at least 24 hrs to download enough info for everything to work properly, like searches and prime time. So be patient at first. Also go into the remote manager screen and disable limited mode. Those are the biggest gotcha's IMO.

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Been with Dish for awhile now and my only real complaint has been there lack of HD locals in my DMA, and even that would be a little easier to handle if Dish would at least layout there plan to roll-out the missing HD locals..... I'm guessing that somewhere in the Corp HQ someone has a plan put together.

10 months from the Feb 2013 federal 'all HD everywhere' deadline. So...by then.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#35 OFFLINE   ljr01

ljr01

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've been a Dish customer for almost 12 years. I'm very satisfied with the equipment and satellite service. On the other hand, the customer service people are consistently poorly trained and lack access to reliable information. As long as you can avoid dealing with them as much as possible you may be happy with Dish.

#36 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I've been mostly happy with Dish since 1999 (Dishplayer 7100 frustrations notwithstanding). I have another round of decisions coming up as to whether Dish is still right for me now that CableCards support 4 streams and Dish wants $7/mo for each Joey.

Yea I can't see a $7.fee for the Joey either(it's just a box),when I can use that fee to put in a VIP211k which has both 1SAT+1OTA tuners.;)

I wanted the new format(Logos in guide+ Menu Tiles) so I bought a VIP922/wMT2.:)

Am I happy with DISH? well I have been with DISH off and on for 10yrs.I did have DirecTV for 3 yrs.Charter cable for 1 yr. so I would have to say Yes!:D

#37 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'm happy with the service. That's why I complain so pasionately about it.

Verizon is always pushing me to switch to a FIOS TV plan. I get at least one junk mailing a week from them, plus calls. And I'd consider it, except that Verizon cannot compare to Dish's international plans. That's the deal breaker for me.

Plus I like the hands-on nature of the equipment. It's fun to see the dish and switches and know that I helped install them, run cable, buy extra parts over e-bay and make a system to my specs. FIOS would just come through a box. FIOS is amazing tech but also a little boring in a way.

#38 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Just to cover the one big difference of Dish and Direct, Dish is less likely to have your local pro team in HD for every game and in general direct carries most every sport and in HD. On the other hand Dish has about 16 to 18 more non sports channels in HD than Direct.

So if Fox Sports Net North has a Twins/Timberwolves/Wild game in HD, Dish may or may not have it in HD? Since my sports passions are mostly Tennis, NFL and NASCAR, I can live with that. I even considered packages without FSN because I almost never watch it anymore.

#39 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

That is true for every provider! Nobody sells ala-carte channels.

Now DISH does have some ala-cart packages,more than any other provider.:)

#40 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Now DISH does have some ala-cart packages,more than any other provider.:)

Not for the channels the poster I was replying to wanted (FSC, NBCSC FS Deportes). High priced sports channels that are not a part of the Sports Pak but are a part of the mid or upper tier "Top-2xx" paks, which is what the poster was complaining about. I guess he thinks D* has these channels in a lowball pak :lol:
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall