Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is anyone actually happy with Dish?

hopper

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Not for the channels the poster I was replying to wanted (FSC, NBCSC FS Deportes). High priced sports channels that are not a part of the Sports Pak but are a part of the mid or upper tier "Top-2xx" paks, which is what the poster was complaining about. I guess he thinks D* has these channels in a lowball pak :lol:

Ahh just thinking about the good old CBand days it seemed like you could ala cart anything.;):D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

10 months from the Feb 2013 federal 'all HD everywhere' deadline. So...by then.

Do you have a link for that?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#43 OFFLINE   neomaine

neomaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Actually, that should be 'all digital' not 'all HD'. They aren't the same thing...

#44 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

10 months from the Feb 2013 federal 'all HD everywhere' deadline. So...by then.

I've been with Dish since 1999. I had a Dishplayer which was sluggish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#45 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

I've been a Dish customer for almost 12 years. I'm very satisfied with the equipment and satellite service. On the other hand, the customer service people are consistently poorly trained and lack access to reliable information. As long as you can avoid dealing with them as much as possible you may be happy with Dish.

Poorly trained? lol. 4 weeks (was 5 when i first worked there) training to be a Dish phone CSR, plus frequent up training on changes and staying up to date on relevant new and old information.
Dish does one of the best jobs training employees from my experience working in call centers.
Just because you ran into a bad egg that is likely to have been fired by now doesnt mean the excellent trainers at Dish should be discredited.

#46 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Yea I can't see a $7.fee for the Joey either(it's just a box),when I can use that fee to put in a VIP211k which has both 1SAT+1OTA tuners.;)

Characterizing it as just a box is more than a bit simplistic. It provides HD access to all of my DVR content across two hoppers (6 tuners) in my home.

I am now not limited to nor do I have to schedule recordings on discrete DVR's scattered across 3 HDTV's, which is what I had before, and I only had SD picture quality at the remote TV's prior. It also eliminated a noisy fan in the DVR in our master bedroom that would spin up to 12K RPM's every morning at 3AM. It is well worth the 7 bucks and then some.

JD

#47 OFFLINE   ljr01

ljr01

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Poorly trained? lol. 4 weeks (was 5 when i first worked there) training to be a Dish phone CSR, plus frequent up training on changes and staying up to date on relevant new and old information.
Dish does one of the best jobs training employees from my experience working in call centers.
Just because you ran into a bad egg that is likely to have been fired by now doesnt mean the excellent trainers at Dish should be discredited.

Over the years probably 90% or more of the answers I got were incorrect, some laughably so. That includes phone, chat and DIRT. I stand by my original statement. Its a great service just don't talk to them if you can avoid it.

If other's have been more fortunate, I envy them.

#48 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Over the years probably 90% or more of the answers I got were incorrect, some laughably so. That includes phone, chat and DIRT. I stand by my original statement. Its a great service just don't talk to them if you can avoid it.

Having personally seen and used the systems CSR, Chat and DIRT use to get you your answers im going to have to boldy call you a "falsifier of statistics" :P

Dont go and confuse not hearing what you want to hear and lying. ;)

#49 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

i have nothing but good things to say about dish's CS both here on the forum ,chat and on the phone.

#50 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

I certainly have had very little problems with any Dish CSR when I needed to interact with one. They seemed competent and helpful, now if you are talking about an AT&T CSR there is where your nightmare scenario comes in…6+ hours on the phone talking to no less than 10 separate people over the course of two months to get a phone billing mistake fixed and I know for a fact that John, Chris and Ryan were not their true Hindu names...

#51 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

I sent you a PM.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#52 OFFLINE   Stalky14

Stalky14

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Been with from 97-06, and 09-present. Always owned my equipment and been off contract. They've always offered the best bang/buck.

I'm very happy with them currently because Welcome Pack+HBO gets me 90% of what I watch cable/sat for for $31/month. (And Netflix Instant covers the next 8 or 9%.) The only things I miss are IFC and BBCA and then only during the small fraction of the year they are showing what I want to see.

#53 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Do you have a link for that?

http://www.tvtechnol...r-for-hd/197661

I'll dig some more up later.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#54 OFFLINE   dasjman

dasjman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've never had a complaint about Dish. Been with them since 2002ish. I was with Direct prior to that. I've never considered going back.

#55 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

:hurah:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#56 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm one of those "switch satellite providers every two years" people. I'm with Direct now (out of contract), but I loved Dish when I was with them. The only thing is...last time I was with Dish, I didn't have an HDTV. Now that I do, and have been thinking about switching back to Dish, I have been reading that their HD picture sucks compares to Direct. I want to go back, but the thought of being stuck with an inferior picture for two years gives me pause.:confused:

#57 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm one of those "switch satellite providers every two years" people. I'm with Direct now (out of contract), but I loved Dish when I was with them. The only thing is...last time I was with Dish, I didn't have an HDTV. Now that I do, and have been thinking about switching back to Dish, I have been reading that their HD picture sucks compares to Direct. I want to go back, but the thought of being stuck with an inferior picture for two years gives me pause.:confused:

Isn't that a good enough excuse from people who are making excuses for a company that has less basic channels in HD than DISH?.;)

The decision has to be yours just make sure the company you go/stay with has the channels you want in HD.

Here's the comparision:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101 ;)

#58 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Ya, we all put up with such an inferior picture rather than switch..... Silly us.

#59 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

... I have been reading that their HD picture sucks compares to Direct. I want to go back, but the thought of being stuck with an inferior picture for two years gives me pause.:confused:

Those kinds of comments that you may have read are written by complete morons who have never even seen Dish. While there is technically a difference, it's barely noticeable, if at all. The only thing you'll be stuck with is 20-something new HD channels you used to have to watch in DirecTV's migraine inducing SD. As tampa said, if the HD PQ was so bad, we all would have switched back to DirecTV a long time ago.

#60 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

The difference is marginal at best, with DTV's PQ just barely being better. I have access to both and have tested them on a 42" Panny viera plasma that was calibrated in the hidden service menus. Even with top notch calibration you still have to be really looking hard to notice a difference. The people who sit there and chime in that the DTV PQ is superior usually forget to mention its only just barely superior.

Something to note is that Dish's SD PQ is definitely superior to DTV's SD PQ, so when you are stuck staring at a SD feed its not that bad, which is pretty awesome especially if your a fan of the Encore channel line up or IFC.
edit:
By the way awesome username arya! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...