Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is anyone actually happy with Dish?

hopper

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Over the years probably 90% or more of the answers I got were incorrect, some laughably so. That includes phone, chat and DIRT. I stand by my original statement. Its a great service just don't talk to them if you can avoid it.

If other's have been more fortunate, I envy them.

I sent you a PM.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Stalky14

Stalky14

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Been with from 97-06, and 09-present. Always owned my equipment and been off contract. They've always offered the best bang/buck.

I'm very happy with them currently because Welcome Pack+HBO gets me 90% of what I watch cable/sat for for $31/month. (And Netflix Instant covers the next 8 or 9%.) The only things I miss are IFC and BBCA and then only during the small fraction of the year they are showing what I want to see.

#53 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Do you have a link for that?

http://www.tvtechnol...r-for-hd/197661

I'll dig some more up later.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#54 OFFLINE   dasjman

dasjman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've never had a complaint about Dish. Been with them since 2002ish. I was with Direct prior to that. I've never considered going back.

#55 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

:hurah:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#56 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm one of those "switch satellite providers every two years" people. I'm with Direct now (out of contract), but I loved Dish when I was with them. The only thing is...last time I was with Dish, I didn't have an HDTV. Now that I do, and have been thinking about switching back to Dish, I have been reading that their HD picture sucks compares to Direct. I want to go back, but the thought of being stuck with an inferior picture for two years gives me pause.:confused:

#57 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm one of those "switch satellite providers every two years" people. I'm with Direct now (out of contract), but I loved Dish when I was with them. The only thing is...last time I was with Dish, I didn't have an HDTV. Now that I do, and have been thinking about switching back to Dish, I have been reading that their HD picture sucks compares to Direct. I want to go back, but the thought of being stuck with an inferior picture for two years gives me pause.:confused:

Isn't that a good enough excuse from people who are making excuses for a company that has less basic channels in HD than DISH?.;)

The decision has to be yours just make sure the company you go/stay with has the channels you want in HD.

Here's the comparision:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101 ;)

#58 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Ya, we all put up with such an inferior picture rather than switch..... Silly us.

#59 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

... I have been reading that their HD picture sucks compares to Direct. I want to go back, but the thought of being stuck with an inferior picture for two years gives me pause.:confused:

Those kinds of comments that you may have read are written by complete morons who have never even seen Dish. While there is technically a difference, it's barely noticeable, if at all. The only thing you'll be stuck with is 20-something new HD channels you used to have to watch in DirecTV's migraine inducing SD. As tampa said, if the HD PQ was so bad, we all would have switched back to DirecTV a long time ago.

#60 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

The difference is marginal at best, with DTV's PQ just barely being better. I have access to both and have tested them on a 42" Panny viera plasma that was calibrated in the hidden service menus. Even with top notch calibration you still have to be really looking hard to notice a difference. The people who sit there and chime in that the DTV PQ is superior usually forget to mention its only just barely superior.

Something to note is that Dish's SD PQ is definitely superior to DTV's SD PQ, so when you are stuck staring at a SD feed its not that bad, which is pretty awesome especially if your a fan of the Encore channel line up or IFC.
edit:
By the way awesome username arya! :)

#61 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Thanks all, and thanks Inkosaurus!

#62 OFFLINE   bobjackson

bobjackson

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

no sir, but I can do little about it right now until my folks wake up and switch...

Can't get FSC or FOX Deportes or NBCSN without giving up an arm and a leg...

I am looking to switch from cable to either D* or E*. I am currently leaning to E* after a ton of research. It seems that you are a football/soccer fan like myself (watching Newcastle beat up on Stoke right now). Both of those channels are in the 250 package on E*. I agree with you getting channels you might not watch, but it you were to pay for them individually via a la carte, they would probably cost the equivalent. You might as well get the other channels for the cost. The problem I have with E* is the 15$ a la carte cost for FSC+. Just my 2 cents... Just make FSC+ part of the sports package E* and I sign up later today... :)

Edited by bobjackson, 21 April 2012 - 08:44 AM.
added quote

#63 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

no sir, but I can do little about it right now until my folks wake up and switch...

Can't get FSC or FOX Deportes or NBCSN without giving up an arm and a leg...

You could get FSC and Fox Deportes in Dish Latino Dos with HD Dos Free for $44.99/month. It also has other sports networks like RSNs and MLB Network. I think other providers are way higher.

The Multi-Sports package is an optional add-on for $9/month.

#64 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Has anyone tried dish's "flex tv" plan?

If so, do you like it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hopper

Protected By... spam firewall...And...