Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling Adapter Test Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

With the Sling Adapter now selling for $30, it looked like an inexpensive addition to my 722 so I signed up for the Sling Adapter Test drive online yesterday. Not a lot of details available on it. Anyway, I wanted to see the relative picture quality on my new iPad. My connection here at work is only 3 MB so relatively slow and the only shows I could find to stream were TV shows. All of the HD movies had locks on them that indicated I needed to upgrade to view them and no filter setting to get to only subscribed movies. This is where I got a bit confused since I don't have a sling adapter I assumed the Adapter was one at Dish and should have had a lot of material available for a short 24 hr evaluation. Anyway, I found a CSI show that was listed as HD to evaluate. The picture quality was very poor and blocky regardless of whether I chose HQ or SQ, most likely do to my download speed here at work. So I figured I'll try it at home where my connection is a 12 MB connection and easily streams HD movies. However at home it gave me messages to reset my receiver. Hmmmm... didn't think I was streaming from my receiver since I don't have a Sling Adapter. Bottom line was the Test Drive is only good for 24 hours and I couldn't get it to work to any degree that was satisfactory.

In our business we have a saying, " A bad Demo is worse than no Demo at all." I don't know whether the problem was mine or Dish's but the in the end the Demo failed and I have run out of my 24 hr evaluation period.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   deathwish001

deathwish001

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

In our business we have a saying, " A bad Demo is worse than no Demo at all." I don't know whether the problem was mine or Dish's but the in the end the Demo failed and I have run out of my 24 hr evaluation period.

Its dish that failed. I have a sling and it works when it wants to. I wish dish would hurry up with fixing the sling system they have. for it is not working as advertised.

#3 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

With the Sling Adapter now selling for $30, it looked like an inexpensive addition to my 722 so I signed up for the Sling Adapter Test drive online yesterday. Not a lot of details available on it. Anyway, I wanted to see the relative picture quality on my new iPad. My connection here at work is only 3 MB so relatively slow and the only shows I could find to stream were TV shows. All of the HD movies had locks on them that indicated I needed to upgrade to view them and no filter setting to get to only subscribed movies. This is where I got a bit confused since I don't have a sling adapter I assumed the Adapter was one at Dish and should have had a lot of material available for a short 24 hr evaluation. Anyway, I found a CSI show that was listed as HD to evaluate. The picture quality was very poor and blocky regardless of whether I chose HQ or SQ, most likely do to my download speed here at work. So I figured I'll try it at home where my connection is a 12 MB connection and easily streams HD movies. However at home it gave me messages to reset my receiver. Hmmmm... didn't think I was streaming from my receiver since I don't have a Sling Adapter. Bottom line was the Test Drive is only good for 24 hours and I couldn't get it to work to any degree that was satisfactory.

A couple of things: The dishonline programming you are trying to view is available on your dishonline.com account that every customer has and the movies available will match your subscription. Try downloading the DISHonline App for your ipad and stream the movies from your account and I think you will like the quality much better.

The Sling Adapter is for streaming Live TV and watching recording from your DVR. The Test Drive App has a very limited amount of channels available and is designed to show how the features work. You can set timers and then use the remote viewing. The security setting on your home network can prevent the streaming from working correctly. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...