Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HK AVR 247 - Protect Mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew a cheap way to fix a HK AVR 247. I got one today from a customer who said he didn't know how to use it and that it worked fine. Brought it home, runs for about 15 seconds then comes up with "Protect" and then shuts off. Looks like it is over heating. If I leave it off for a while it will work for a minute then shut off. After it goes into protect mode it will turn on and immediately turn off.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

There may be an internal fuse that is bad.....also disconnect all the speaker wires and see if it still goes into protect mode. YOu may have a stray wire strand causing a short. The other thing to try is to look in the manual and restore it to factory settings, may work for awhile.

#3 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

No speakers attached same deal. I feel like it is over heating after 10-15 seconds. I will look into the fuses but I think if that were the case the time it takes to Protect out would be consistent.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

DId you google that? There are TONS of posts about it...seems HK is still crap....

#5 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

It has a bad board. Even if you could fix it yourself (diagnose which board is shorting the power supply), the cost of the replacement board itself would make it not worth it. It's an entry level receiver and I see them going for $150 used on the net.

#6 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

DId you google that? There are TONS of posts about it...seems HK is still crap....

Yea I googled it. It's a bunch of people saying pretty much the same thing but no real solutions.

It has a bad board. Even if you could fix it yourself (diagnose which board is shorting the power supply), the cost of the replacement board itself would make it not worth it. It's an entry level receiver and I see them going for $150 used on the net.

That is sad but pretty much what I figured. It was worth a shot!

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Well the solution is its broken, you can spend a lot of time and effort to fix an entry level HK, or buy a new one that is probably way better anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...