Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A few miles make a hugh difference in sports teams available.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

My zip code (24541)

NBA-Wizards
NHL-Capitals, Hurricanes (with Sports Pack)
MLB-Nationals, Orioles

Just across the border in North Carolina (Caswell County)

MLB-Nationals, Orioles, Braves, Reds (with Sports Pack)
NHL-Hurricanes
no NBA team, Bobcats claim only 100 miles of Charlotte.

Then I entered 24541 in the MLB schedule finder and it claims Braves games are available with the Sports Pack I got. Maybe I tune in tomorrow to see if the game is in the clear.

Edited by dxtrfn80, 17 April 2012 - 09:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Who is Hugh?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,432 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

Who is Hugh?

Hefner or Laurie? :lol:

Edited by JACKIEGAGA, 18 April 2012 - 06:50 AM.

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

My zip code (24541)

NBA-Wizards
NHL-Capitals, Hurricanes (with Sports Pack)
MLB-Nationals, Orioles

Just across the border in North Carolina (Caswell County)

MLB-Nationals, Orioles, Braves, Reds (with Sports Pack)
NHL-Hurricanes
no NBA team, Bobcats claim only 100 miles of Charlotte.

Then I entered 24541 in the MLB schedule finder and it claims Braves games are available with the Sports Pack I got. Maybe I tune in tomorrow to see if the game is in the clear.

Yes, a few miles does make a difference. The line has to be drawn somewhere. I entered 24541 at http://www.directv.c...s/mlb_schedules and it shows Braves games available with Extra Innings.

#5 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I think it is all in the zip code.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#6 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

10% of our direct community of about 55,000 people get both the Twins and the Brewers.. the rest get just the Brewers.. but no replays.. and no team shows.. NONE what so ever.. oh and that's decided by a 50 yard streach of old river channel. some thing you can litterally throw a rock across..

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

10% of our direct community of about 55,000 people get both the Twins and the Brewers.. the rest get just the Brewers.. but no replays.. and no team shows.. NONE what so ever.. oh and that's decided by a 50 yard streach of old river channel. some thing you can litterally throw a rock across..

Looks like that puts you in the category of "close but no cigar". :sure:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Here's a good map for blackout questions but yes I've seen a mile change teams dramatically.

Posted Image
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think it is all in the zip code.

Nope not at all. The lines weave in and out of zipcodes.

I have a buddy in another town, gets completely different RSN's and Locals then his neighbor who is 20 feet to the east in the same zip :P

#10 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

One of the worst situations is Eugene, OR. For some weird reason, the Giants and Athletics both claim Eugene in their territory. Eugene is about 600 miles away from both teams. When the A's or Giants are on OTA stations only, it's impossible to see them play.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have a buddy in another town, gets completely different RSN's and Locals then his neighbor who is 20 feet to the east in the same zip :P

Either a different provider or something else is going on. DBS uses zip codes and cable can use the physical address so things can change in zip codes for sports.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

They used to clam further north back in the days before fsn/ root sports and csn.

One of the worst situations is Eugene, OR. For some weird reason, the Giants and Athletics both claim Eugene in their territory. Eugene is about 600 miles away from both teams. When the A's or Giants are on OTA stations only, it's impossible to see them play.

#13 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

I've put it on here before, but i'm in the NE corner of Maryland(21901,21916,21921 etc). Despite being claimed by CSN Mid Atlantic teams and MASN, we're blacked out of Flyers games. They for some reason think we're in the Flyers 100mile radius, and thus have comcast options.(which the local comcast doesnt offer CSN Philly)

Now it'd be great if CSN Philly does come to DTV since it would mean that my home RSN would be CSN Philly, and that would make a Gigantic difference in this area.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#14 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

I've put it on here before, but i'm in the NE corner of Maryland(21901,21916,21921 etc). Despite being claimed by CSN Mid Atlantic teams and MASN, we're blacked out of Flyers games. They for some reason think we're in the Flyers 100mile radius, and thus have comcast options.(which the local comcast doesnt offer CSN Philly)

Now it'd be great if CSN Philly does come to DTV since it would mean that my home RSN would be CSN Philly, and that would make a Gigantic difference in this area.

You are in the Flyers blackout area. It doesn't matter what channel is offered in the area. It may seem silly, but that is the reason. The ability to receive an RSN has no bearing as to team blackout areas. They are obviously linked to some extent, but RSN boundaries and blackout boundaries are different.

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Zip codes is one of the ways, but I believe they also use stuff like county lines, districts, etc.

In my home town of Rock Falls you are in a different DMA depending on if you live in Whiteside or Lee county. Whiteside county gets local channels from the Quad Cities on DirecTV, Lee county gets locals from Rockford. Houses literally across the street from each other get different local channels on DirecTV.

Comcast includes locals from both DMAs, so my parents get 2 ABC, 2CBS, 2 CW, 2 Fox, 2 NBC stations, etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#16 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

In the Buffalo DMA, the closest MLB team is Toronto - about 90 miles away. Yet there are no blackouts on EI for Blue Jays Games. Cleveland (200 miles), Pittsburgh (200 miles) and NY (350 miles) are blacked out. Go figure. I was always frustrated when, as an EI subscriber, the few Mets games being broadcast on a NYC OTA channel (as opposed to SNY, one of my regional RSN's) were blacked out for me on EI. At least the Yankees provided an alternate YES feed (which I got) for games broadcast on a local channel.

And from what I understand, Blue Jays games are blacked out on EI for the whole country of Canada, so if you live in Vancouver (3000 miles away), you are considered in Toronto's "local" market.

I think it's time for ALL sports to revisit their blackout rules.

#17 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

You are in the Flyers blackout area. It doesn't matter what channel is offered in the area. It may seem silly, but that is the reason. The ability to receive an RSN has no bearing as to team blackout areas. They are obviously linked to some extent, but RSN boundaries and blackout boundaries are different.

Believe me I know. I've found work arounds for years. It's just funny that we're essentially claimed by Caps and the Flyers.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#18 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

And from what I understand, Blue Jays games are blacked out on EI for the whole country of Canada, so if you live in Vancouver (3000 miles away), you are considered in Toronto's "local" market.

I think it's time for ALL sports to revisit their blackout rules.

The Blue Jays are aired nationally across Canada via Sportsnet. There's no need to watch them on EI. Similar to the Raptors who also have national carriage.

#19 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

so does 43614 (toldeo) get reds, indians, and tigers for rsn on choice or just one? i have family that wanted to switch but on cable they get tigers on fsn detroit, reds on fox sports ohio, and indians on sportstime ohio on cable and do not want to lose them.

Edited by housemr, 10 May 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

so does 43614 (toldeo) get reds, indians, and tigers for rsn on choice or just one? i have family that wanted to switch but on cable they get tigers on fsn detroit, reds on fox sports ohio, and indians on sportstime ohio on cable and do not want to lose them.

Go here and enter the zip code.
http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

Looks like they should be able to get all of them if they get the right package (Choice Xtra).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...