Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A few miles make a hugh difference in sports teams available.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 398 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

I live in Alamance County, the next county south of Caswell in the OP. We have
MLB: Orioles, Nationals, Reds, Braves
NHL: Hurricanes
NBA: nothing (but I "moved" to the town of Lexington, which is in the clear for the Bobcats. Someone earlier said it's 100 miles from Charlotte - it's actually 75 miles.)

Locals are Greensboro, with Raleigh's ABC, despite the Raleigh locals coming in better OTA at my place than the Greensboro ones. Thank you AM21.
With the "move", I lose the Raleigh ABC via Directv (SD only anyway, it is HD on the AM21) and gain the Charlotte ABC.

In Caswell County, NC, I believe you also get at least some Roanoke, VA locals, in HD, with the Greensboro, NC locals. If the Bobcats games were shown in Caswell County, I would "move" there in a heartbeat, but those few Celtics games are worth it, to me.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

I've put it on here before, but i'm in the NE corner of Maryland(21901,21916,21921 etc). Despite being claimed by CSN Mid Atlantic teams and MASN, we're blacked out of Flyers games. They for some reason think we're in the Flyers 100mile radius, and thus have comcast options.(which the local comcast doesnt offer CSN Philly)

Now it'd be great if CSN Philly does come to DTV since it would mean that my home RSN would be CSN Philly, and that would make a Gigantic difference in this area.

Comcast doesn't want anyone to watch the Flyers. Their long term business model is to reduce Flyer viewership to zero as soon as possible, but Philly fans are stubborn and just won't convert to the Devils.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#23 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

I converted, to The Oilers. Why would anyone followThe Devils? NJ isn't even a real state. :)

#24 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

I live in Alamance County, the next county south of Caswell in the OP. We have
MLB: Orioles, Nationals, Reds, Braves
NHL: Hurricanes
NBA: nothing (but I "moved" to the town of Lexington, which is in the clear for the Bobcats. Someone earlier said it's 100 miles from Charlotte - it's actually 75 miles.)

Locals are Greensboro, with Raleigh's ABC, despite the Raleigh locals coming in better OTA at my place than the Greensboro ones. Thank you AM21.
With the "move", I lose the Raleigh ABC via Directv (SD only anyway, it is HD on the AM21) and gain the Charlotte ABC.

In Caswell County, NC, I believe you also get at least some Roanoke, VA locals, in HD, with the Greensboro, NC locals. If the Bobcats games were shown in Caswell County, I would "move" there in a heartbeat, but those few Celtics games are worth it, to me.

Once you hit Roxboro (Person County) you only get Orioles, Nationals and Hurricanes. And as for the Bobcats they just don't want their games seen anywhere except the Charlotte Metro area. High Point falls just 2 miles outside of the 75 mile radius on Directv. The Carolina Hurricanes can be seen as far north as Lynchburg with the Sports Pack but the Bobcats do not want to pay the rights on Direct Tv outside of 75 miles but the other NBA teams do as the Indiana Pacers claim all of Kentucky. If I were the Bobcats I would agree to pay the fee for the games to be seen in all of NC and SC. It probably will never happen just like Direct TV getting CSN Philly available.

#25 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

I am curious about you saying Bobcats paying DirecTV.

Isn't the deal, DirecTV doesn't want to pay SportSouth for the extended coverage of the Bobcats?

It is odd that they don't. I get the Hawks and Grizzlies. I am 220 miles from Atlanta and about 300 to Memphis.

Once you hit Roxboro (Person County) you only get Orioles, Nationals and Hurricanes. And as for the Bobcats they just don't want their games seen anywhere except the Charlotte Metro area. High Point falls just 2 miles outside of the 75 mile radius on Directv. The Carolina Hurricanes can be seen as far north as Lynchburg with the Sports Pack but the Bobcats do not want to pay the rights on Direct Tv outside of 75 miles but the other NBA teams do as the Indiana Pacers claim all of Kentucky. If I were the Bobcats I would agree to pay the fee for the games to be seen in all of NC and SC. It probably will never happen just like Direct TV getting CSN Philly available.

#26 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

I am curious about you saying Bobcats paying DirecTV.

Isn't the deal, DirecTV doesn't want to pay SportSouth for the extended coverage of the Bobcats?

It is odd that they don't. I get the Hawks and Grizzlies. I am 220 miles from Atlanta and about 300 to Memphis.

Yes it is DirecTV who doesn't want to pay SportsSouth for the extended coverage of the Bobcats. Time Warner Cable shows the Bobcats in the extended area.

DirecTV claims the viewership does not justify the cost but how the heck would they know if they don't pay it? But I would not get MASN if I went back to TWC and MASN Trumps the Bobcats all day long !
DirecTV customer since 1995

#27 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yes it is DirecTV who doesn't want to pay SportsSouth for the extended coverage of the Bobcats. Time Warner Cable shows the Bobcats in the extended area.

DirecTV claims the viewership does not justify the cost but how the heck would they know if they don't pay it? But I would not get MASN if I went back to TWC and MASN Trumps the Bobcats all day long !

DirecTV has ratings data on viewership in the outer market.

#28 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Comcast doesn't want anyone to watch the Flyers. Their long term business model is to reduce Flyer viewership to zero as soon as possible, but Philly fans are stubborn and just won't convert to the Devils.

Would never happen. I mean I guess i could join all 500 devils fans that showed up after the last cup, for the Parade LOL. The Phantoms had a bigger parade. I'm convinced that Devils Fans are just cockroach cowboy fans after football is done.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

spam firewall