Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV DVRs available in over 100 hotels

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

No mention of the hotels where it's available

http://www.engadget....dvrs-in-hotels/
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Well that is great news. I would think that the hotels that had this installed would be marketing this heavily as a feature so perhaps we will know soon.
DirecTV customer since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Directv's PR:

http://investor.dire...eleaseid=664820

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/65

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've been at a Hampton Inn in UT that had DIRECTV, but they didn't have the DVR feature. I hope more hotels start doing this Residential Experience. Looks like there is more info on the DIRECTV business website [link].
HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Now we just need a way to set up recordings for our room before we get there. :D

Could you imagine rolling into the hotel at 9pm and having your 8pm shows already recorded for you?

#6 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Now we just need a way to set up recordings for our room before we get there. :D

Could you imagine rolling into the hotel at 9pm and having your 8pm shows already recorded for you?

That would be nice, but I'm usually on a business trip for 5 to 10 days. So I would have plenty of time to take advantage of recording programs after I arrive.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I wonder though how much it will cost the Hotels to do this for us and will it Fly in a Recession Type Economy.

Marriott is still charging $10 for WiFi unless you are a Gold or Platinum Member so what will they charge for this Service.

It ain't gonna be Free I can guarantee you but will be passed along to the consumer as an Option for a Fee.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Marriott is still charging $10 for WiFi unless you are a Gold or Platinum Member so what will they charge for this Service.

It ain't gonna be Free I can guarantee you but will be passed along to the consumer as an Option for a Fee.

Which is why I do my best not to stay at hotels that charge. Ironically, several of Marriott's sister properties have free WiFi. Go figure.

I think this will be something that, at least initially, could pay for itself in increased occupancy. I know if I knew a hotel had it, I would try to stay there even if it were slightly more expensive. But I tend to be a hotel snob.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I wonder though how much it will cost the Hotels to do this for us and will it Fly in a Recession Type Economy.

Interestingly enough, the Crowne Plaza I stay in Indianapolis every year for the Big Ten tournament went from pay-per-day wifi to free this year.

There is always the aspect that the hotels need to do things to bring in customers in a down economy.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I was staying in a J.W. Marriott in Palm Springs, Ca. and Amazingly I was going to be Charged $10/Day until they realized I was a Marriott Gold Member.

You would think that they would use this as a Marketing Tool to attract customers but they are late in the game on this.

I get it Free at my 3 Marriott Vacation Villas but then again we are paying for it with our Annual Fees.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

I don't know if or what the hotel may charge, but during the promo it says they will pay $2.50/ room and here is what the additional details say:

Attached Thumbnails

• Hotel.PNG

HR34-700, HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Let's try to keep this thread updated with hotels that actually have this installed. I know this a tall hill to climb but perhaps a mod would be willing to pin it. I would really like to know what these 110 hotels are.

#13 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

The receivers they use aren't DVRs, they are H24 receivers that are connected using a whole-home scenario and the shows are actually recorded on a server computer in the hotel's back office, then streamed back to the room receiver when the guest desires. The same computer can instruct the receiver to clear itself for the next guest. This technology is supposed to start next month.

#14 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Let's try to keep this thread updated with hotels that actually have this installed. I know this a tall hill to climb but perhaps a mod would be willing to pin it. I would really like to know what these 110 hotels are.

You realize it's "100 HOTELS" not 100 hotel CHAINS. Chances of finding one of those 100 is probably 100 out of what, ??? 20,000 ??? From what I understand it is being pushed by local and regional MDU providers just as if they are selling to apartment complexes so it is more than likely found in smaller privately owned or franchised properties that local MDU salesfolk have access to.

#15 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

You realize it's "100 HOTELS" not 100 hotel CHAINS. Chances of finding one of those 100 is probably 100 out of what, ??? 20,000 ??? From what I understand it is being pushed by local and regional MDU providers just as if they are selling to apartment complexes so it is more than likely found in smaller privately owned or franchised properties that local MDU salesfolk have access to.

Yes I do realize that the odds are stacked against finding them but dbstalk has lots of members so you never know :) I am just curious...

#16 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

The receivers they use aren't DVRs, they are H24 receivers that are connected using a whole-home scenario and the shows are actually recorded on a server computer in the hotel's back office, then streamed back to the room receiver when the guest desires. The same computer can instruct the receiver to clear itself for the next guest. This technology is supposed to start next month.

Not what the press release says
"DIRECTV is now offering HD DVRs as part of its Residential Experience service for the lodging industry, designed to offer guests a home away from home video experience. As hotel guests unwind after a busy day, they'll also be able to rewind, pause and record live DIRECTV programming - not missing a moment of their favorite show or game broadcast when room service arrives or the phone rings."

"The DVR feature is part of the second phase of DIRECTV's initiative to completely transform the TV viewing experience in hotels, turning guest rooms into living rooms with a full residential channel line-up of over 100 HD channels controlled with an anti-microbial remote and easy-to-use interactive programming guide."

You can't pause live tv on a normal H24 but perhaps this is using RVU technology?

#17 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

The last few ones I have been at had it for free or as part of the resort fee.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#18 OFFLINE   sonofcool

sonofcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

No mention of the hotels where it's available

Cool! Now all I have to do is find one, move in there and I cancel my account! :-)

#19 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

when we stayed at the red roof inn last October for 2 months they had directv and where advertising something like this coming in the spring... Maybe they have it now?

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#20 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Bumping this back up. Anyone stayed in a hotel that had the new Direct TV hotel package? Please list the hotel names here.

spam firewall