Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Maybe I'll switch to DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mmmna

mmmna

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Ordered Dish in Feb 2008 through a contracting firm called 'My Dish Now', I clearly requested HD, but basic was what was installed (I had no idea I was getting basic until I asked the installation tech to show me a HD channel). 'My Dish Now' never responded to 3 calls I immediately made to them for remediation (I talked to people, they promised to investigate and they would call me back, but no calls, never). When I made call #4, their phone number was no longer in service, just 3 months after installation.

4 years later, I'm wondering about changing to DirecTV.

1] I will likely be moving in a year, is DirecTV reasonable about relocating the equipment?

2] I really wouldn't mind staying with Dish, but I also will need incentives since I never had any response from 'My Dish Now' about their error. To me, that means Dish itself needs to step up and do the right thing for me - I've proven to be loyal despite 4 years without HD (heck, I've never seen anything that I know was HD, unless I saw it ad Sears or Best Buy). Of course, after reading in another thread about the lack of loyalty incentives coming from Dish, I expect I'll be heading to DirecTV.

Is there anything else I should or could consider before setting up a new dish provider?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Why didnt you call Dish? Its not like they can magically figure out that you got bent by a retailer who went out of business.

About your questions regarding DTV, those would probably better asked in the DTV sections where there are customers of them there :P
edit:
About the "loyalty incentives" its all a case by case deal. Just because "Customer a" didnt get anything then decided to tell the world doesnt mean you wont get anything, its likely that people who dont get offered much are
1) At the end of the rope as it is when it comes to freebies.
2) Havent really been all that great of customers to begin with.

If HD is your big sticking point then it shouldnt be a problem to accommodate your needs. If your a decent customer you should be able to qualify for Dishn it up, a promotion that lets you upgrade your equipment in exchange for a 2 year contract. Price varies, some get it free. Some dont, it all depends on you as a customer in relation to Dish. The best thing that can be done is contacting Dish and finding out instead of relying on some retailer.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ordered Dish in Feb 2008 through a contracting firm called 'My Dish Now', I clearly requested HD, but basic was what was installed (I had no idea I was getting basic until I asked the installation tech to show me a HD channel). 'My Dish Now' never responded to 3 calls I immediately made to them for remediation (I talked to people, they promised to investigate and they would call me back, but no calls, never). When I made call #4, their phone number was no longer in service, just 3 months after installation.

1] I will likely be moving in a year, is DirecTV reasonable about relocating the equipment?

2] I really wouldn't mind staying with Dish, but I also will need incentives since I never had any response from 'My Dish Now' about their error. To me, that means Dish itself needs to step up and do the right thing for me - I've proven to be loyal despite 4 years without HD (heck, I've never seen anything that I know was HD, unless I saw it ad Sears or Best Buy). Of course, after reading in another thread about the lack of loyalty incentives coming from Dish, I expect I'll be heading to DirecTV.

Is there anything else I should or could consider before setting up a new dish provider?

To answer your first question DirecTV's Movers Connection is very reasonable. You need only to pack up your receivers and remotes and call and set up a install at your new location. They will even reward you with perks for staying with them. Before you switch ask yourself what you need and want from a satellite provider. Look at what both have to offer then choose what's right for you.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

PM a DIRT member here, they work for Dish and will do you better than Dish's csr's and supervisors. They will also assist you if/when you do move.

#5 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

If you would like to send me a PM with your account or phone number, I will review your account and see what we can do about getting you HD. Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#6 OFFLINE   prabs24

prabs24

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

This sounds very odd. So, because the third party company did not install HD, you just kept quiet even though you wanted HD? Like the other poster asked, why did you not call Dish? Even if a third party installed your Dish, I would assume you knew that Dish network was your provider and all it takes is calling up Dish.

Get the feeling we are not getting the full story here!

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, something seems off.

Four years ago, and not only no attempt to contact/call Dish but it took 4 years to even find an online forum to post about not getting the HD installation you asked for?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

smells like a troll

#9 OFFLINE   prabs24

prabs24

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Or maybe this was his way of trying to get some freebie offers from Dish.

#10 OFFLINE   MikeL DISH

MikeL DISH

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

mmmna,

I understand your concern as that's an unfortunate situation to have happen upon signing up for the service. I'd be happy to take a look at your account to check any and all options if you could email me your account number! My email address is michael.lemar@dish.com and I'll look forward to assisting you further in getting that mix-up resolved!

#11 OFFLINE   mmmna

mmmna

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

This sounds very odd. So, because the third party company did not install HD, you just kept quiet even though you wanted HD? Like the other poster asked, why did you not call Dish? Even if a third party installed your Dish, I would assume you knew that Dish network was your provider and all it takes is calling up Dish.

Get the feeling we are not getting the full story here!

Sorry, I left that detail out, a bad attempt to keep discussion simpler.

Yes, you are correct, the WHOLE story involves me calling Dish Network after I made complaint call #2 to 'My Dish Now' (March-April 2008), and in that call to Dish Network, I was told by the Dish support person who was on the telephone with me that since Dish did not write up the work order, there was "nothing" Dish could do for me; that Dish support rep explained to me that I had to deal with 'My Dish Now' to get the problem corrected - this 'My Dish Now' company was an authorized sales agent and Dish Network did not have access to the details of my order. That seemed reasonable to me, so that is why I stopped considering asking for any support from Dish Network. In other words, I feel that Dish told me to deal with 'My Dish Now'. And 'My Dish Now' quickly closed; therefore, based on my discussion with Dish Network, my support path was closed along with the closing of the business called 'My Dish Now'. Dish never called me back afterwards, they had my telephone number in their account records.

smells like a troll

mmmm.... nah. Hello to you, too.

Dish Network once upon a time (maybe 2010?) called me asking if I would like to upgrade to HD, I explained the whole matter to that promotional caller and the Dish Network response to my situation was just an apology. Chance #2 to make it right came and went. I do not recall all the details of that call which I took in 2010, forgive me, but obviously I'm not posting that I am asking Dish for HD today.

...but it took 4 years to even find an online forum to post about not getting the HD installation you asked for?

No, I just recently determined the a need to relocate was approaching, so THAT is why I even posted at all. 4 years to find a forum? No, when I started looking into this issue more, it took about 3 mouse clicks to find this place. Gimme a little credit, please.

The last sentence of my first post

MAYBE I will select Dish, MAYBE I will select DirecTV, but the bottom line, Dish has had a chance to research the matter and Dish effectively prohibited themselves from participating in resolving the matter. If anything, I'd consider a response from anyone who worked for 'My Dish Now'. And offers today for support from Dish seem a little insincere - I made the problem known to Dish Network in March or April of 2008, nobody called me back (not 'My Dish Now', not Dish Network) wondering about if I was satisified with my installation. Any calling for support on incorrect installation was all initiated by me. Until 2010, when my 2 year contract had ended, then Dish remembered I was a customer. Again, after that call, no offer for assistance from Dish Network until I posted here.

That tells me Dish had 2 instances where they could just correct the incorrect installation problem, and nothing was offered.

Maybe I should have posted in the DirecTV forum.

#12 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

Your story sounds like others I have heard from people who ordered service through a 3rd party instead of directly with Dish. It sounds to me like you expected Dish to be more proactive in making you satisfied, and accepted their first no as the final one. I would have called back when your installer went under and told them that when they said to deal with your installer. Even so, a DIRT member has responded here offering to help - have you taken them up on the offer?

Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel to get the oil. I'd be on the phone daily, emailing Charlie directly. I'd call the BBB if I couldn't get anywhere, and tell Dish I would call the BBB if there was no action. Too late for all that now, of course.

If you want to switch to DirecTV, I hope you have a lot more patience and persistence. While their customer support never let me down, their hardware did often, even when it was working "right".

#13 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

If the OP is ok with waiting from 2008 to 2012 for Dish to fix his problem he should be ok with waiting 10 - 30 seconds for a DIRECTV receiver to respond to each button press on the remote (assuming it doesn't lock up of course).

#14 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

If the OP is ok with waiting from 2008 to 2012 for Dish to fix his problem he should be ok with waiting 10 - 30 seconds for a DIRECTV receiver to respond to each button press on the remote (assuming it doesn't lock up of course).

Amen! I switched over to DirecTV last Fall and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since. I am on my 3rd DVR. The first two crashed and burned and the one I have now - I can watch the grass grow waiting for it to respond to remore commands.

Shame on me for leaving the best DVRs in the business. I am going to eat the $300 cancellation fee and come back to Dish Network asap!
Dood-

#15 OFFLINE   mmmna

mmmna

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was wondering where all the internet trolls moved to.

You troll me, yet I never connected with any forum representative of Dish, and they will tell you so. I'll say it again, the opportunity for good customer support was back in the first few months after my service with Dish was mis-ordered and Dish made sure I knew they wanted no part of it. After installation, my contract was with Dish, I was a Dish customer - I had no satellite service contract with 'My Dish Now', my contract was with Dish. Seriously, I canceled my Dish service last Friday morning, by calling Dish Network, I did not call 'My Dish Now'.

Dish had many months to follow up with me, and nothing came of the report I made to Dish Network. I called Dish Network. The next time Dish called me after my 2008 call to them was when Dish called me near my contract expiration in 2010 - why did Dish become interested in me then? I waited for sincere support after I called Dish, none was offered, I was told to go to 'My Dish Now'. I can definitely say that when 'My Dish Now' went out of business, someone in the sales office at Dish KNEW that contractor had folded. Did Dish sales team get off their cans and call the orphaned customers to see how things had been going? I have no idea.

You assume I was here for a freebie? After mid 2008, it was pretty clear Dish was not actively offering support, not after the call I made to them. I was not 'waiting' for Dish to do anything - I already posted that Dish told me I was out of luck. I expected no help since then, and I got what I expected. Maybe you folks aren't reading my long posts? Should I make posts that are shorter for you folks? Too complicated for you folks?

FWIW, Dood, I also would be on my third DVR, but I feel that getting defective DVR #2, which cannot stay turned on, in exchange for DVR #1, which I sent in via return authorization isn't the way to 'help' any customer. More, the CSR that I spoke with Friday morning told me to be sure I refuse any delivery of DVR#3 (I had called for support on DVR #2), because he 'wouldn't want me to be charged MSRP for one of these boxes'. MSRP for a refurbished 4 year old box?? Seriously?

Anyways, I'll be considering a new satellite plan with Dish, this time I'll order through my national telco (to get a Dish and DSL package), they most likely aren't going to be closing the business next month. I had to cancel my current contract in order to get the package deal from my telco. There, now go get the flamethrowers ratched up, you have a REASON to flame me! :hurah:

Thanks for the 'assistance' by staying on the topic of my original question. No wait, most posts are trolling me, blaming me or accusing me, for the results of a crap work order which 'My Dish Now' wrote up for Dish Network to install basic service.

Yeah, that was my fault.:D

Edited by mmmna, 28 April 2012 - 09:02 PM.
typo

#16 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Have fun when you meet FACT ACT trying to make your new account ;)
edit:
Ill make a change to that. Have fun meeting fact act in 3 months. Theres a waiting period between when you can close an account and make a new one with those deals your looking for.
Heres a template of what will happen to you if you try to make a new account through the telco with in the next 3 months.

Telco agent: Mr. MMMMNA, there seems to be an issue the accounts not pushing through in my system im going to have to call Dish network directly, they will make the account and i will have to conference you in.
Telco agent: Hey dish agent mr. MMMMNA is trying to make a partner account with us, POET might be down can you try to make the account?
Dish agent: Sure *Takes in all the info* Oh looks like theres an account at that address under Mr. MMMMNA's name that was recently closed. He can start up with Dish again, but it wont be a new account nor will it benefit from our new customer deals. There is also a chance that he will have to pay for all of his equipment this time around, unless he still has his old equipment around. He should still be able to benefit from the 5$ partner discount on our end but that would be all that he would get in the way of discounts. Would you like to tell that to mr.mmmna or would you like me to?

Edited by Inkosaurus, 28 April 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,795 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

You troll me, yet I never connected with any forum representative of Dish, and they will tell you so.

Why not? Two representatives of DISH posted offers to help you right in this very thread. One even offered his email. You are saying you didn't make the connection. Why didn't you respond?

You assume I was here for a freebie?

We don't have to assume ... you said it in your first post:

2] I really wouldn't mind staying with Dish, but I also will need incentives ...

Emphasis added.

As for the namecalling and insults of people on our forum that ends now. A good definition of troll is "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument". If one does not want to be seen as a troll, don't troll - and for the rest of you guys and gals - don't feed any trolls that may appear.

If it is possible for this thread to continue without any further name calling and talking about each other the thread will continue. Otherwise it will close.

Let us see if we can discuss mmmna's service problems without talking about each other.

(No need to thank me either, just stay on topic.)

#18 OFFLINE   mmmna

mmmna

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Have fun when you meet FACT ACT trying to make your new account ;)
edit:
Ill make a change to that. Have fun meeting fact act in 3 months. Theres a waiting period between when you can close an account and make a new one with those deals your looking for.
Heres a template of what will happen to you if you try to make a new account through the telco with in the next 3 months.

What is Fact?
What is Fact Act?

Maybe I was too hasty, but the Dish representative told me I could reopen in 30 days, so lets see where you are taking me.

#19 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

FACT ACT is a department at dish network that handles duplicate accounts, potential account fraud and sometimes also helps front line agents when they notice someone is trying to make a new account to qualify for promos, after having recently closed another one.

The agent at dish either lied to you or didnt know they were incorrect. The soonest you can make a completely new account or have your old account restored under as "formers" to qualify for promotions/new customer deals is 3 months. Thats assuming everything goes perfectly as well. If you try to get the ball rolling any sooner you will just have your old account turned back on, with no promotions ect.
Additionally to get equipment you will either have to purchase it or have to do a dishn'it up to get it discounted/free, but that requires a 2 year contract.

In short, if you cant wait 3 months the best your looking at is getting your old account turned back on at a cost, and having to sign up for a 2 year contract just to get equipment and no new customer freebies like 20$ off for 12 months and free movie channels.

Some future advice, double check what ever CSR's tell you with another CSR or on the internet before you make the plunge.

#20 OFFLINE   prabs24

prabs24

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

OK, so if you were not happy with Dish, why did you renew in 2010?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...