Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM Expander?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,040 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

A DirecTV is out trying to fix a problem I have been having for the last few weeks with the picture freezing up on one of the media centers (HR34). I have checked everything with the system and have even changed out a few items (cabling, switches, etc.) thinking that might be the problem but to no avail.
Anyway, the tech just told me that my SWM-16's were not cascaded properly (coming off the legacy ports of SWM-16 #1 to the inputs on SWM-16 #2 inputs) and that I actually needed a SWM expander in order to get the SWM-16's to work properly.

I have been cascading SWM's for years (SWM 16's for the last year) and while I don't mind him changing it out, is this correct?

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,404 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

A DirecTV is out trying to fix a problem I have been having for the last few weeks with the picture freezing up on one of the media centers (HR34). I have checked everything with the system and have even changed out a few items (cabling, switches, etc.) thinking that might be the problem but to no avail.
Anyway, the tech just told me that my SWM-16's were not cascaded properly (coming off the legacy ports of SWM-16 #1 to the inputs on SWM-16 #2 inputs) and that I actually needed a SWM expander in order to get the SWM-16's to work properly.

I have been cascading SWM's for years (SWM 16's for the last year) and while I don't mind him changing it out, is this correct?

There is merit to his comment. DirecTV doesn't support cascading off the legacy ports.
Through some testing it's been found the legacy ports are -10 dB from the input.
The E2 SWiM expander is "merely" a group of 2-way splitters in one package.
Using one would be no different than using 2-ways to feed both SWiMs.
The difference using splitters is both SWiM receive the same levels from the dish, though roughly 5 or 6 dB lower.
Cascading means the primary SWiM gets the full signal level, and the secondary is four or five dB below what it would get off a splitter.
So this seems to come down to:

• drop the levels to both equally by 5 or 6 dB
  • drop the levels to only one by 10 dB.
  • Add an amp to compensate for the lower legacy ports levels and have both SWiMs at full signal levels.

A.K.A VOS

spam firewall