Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Customer Service Facepalm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

So. I'm moving. I'm starting a job in Orange County, but until I settle in my own place, I'm going to live with relatives in the interim.

The only downside is that means setting up a move twice in a short time; which means when I finally settle in my own place, I'll need to pay $99 for the second install (the first one is a bummer, since the dish is already there, but they have a lower package and I want to watch my own recorded shows etc) and apparently an additional $20 for shipping (even though the tech should bring everything with him. WTH?).

Anyways, the facepalm came twice. First, the guy at the mover's desk transferred me to promotions :nono2:. Then the Promotion guy tells me I can plug my receivers into their system and get their programming, because programming is dependent on what's sent to the dish at that address. I even asked "are you sure? I've always been told it's dependent on what your programming card is programmed for?" He said he was sure he was correct. :nono:.

Anyways, the service address has been changed, and I am ready to start my new job in Santa Ana. :D
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

If your relatives have the same dish as you. all you need to do is plug your receivers into there system and they would work. You would need to call cx service to have your locals changed to the new zip code. no fees required.
If they have a different dish then the best way for this would for the relatives to get an upgrade, and this will get the proper dish installed. IE Slimline with swim.
No tech will install your receivers for free at your relatives house. If you can terminate cable with f connectors and can get the proper swim spliter, an 8 way. Then this will be an easy install for you.

#3 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

If your relatives have the same dish as you. all you need to do is plug your receivers into there system and they would work. You would need to call cx service to have your locals changed to the new zip code. no fees required.
If they have a different dish then the best way for this would for the relatives to get an upgrade, and this will get the proper dish installed. IE Slimline with swim.
No tech will install your receivers for free at your relatives house. If you can terminate cable with f connectors and can get the proper swim spliter, an 8 way. Then this will be an easy install for you.

Yes, I know. They have a SWM system but no WHDVR. Since I don't need WHDVR in the interim, it's not a big deal. I knew it'd work, it was just a shock that the guy was not trained correctly about how programming is authorized (Though he works in promotions, I figure he'd have at least a basic understanding of the system... apparently not).

I was simply asking if there was a way not to have to pay the fee for the second time around, but apparently there's not. I'll try to push the issue when I move to my new place to see if they can waive it... but I won't hold my breath.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Yes, I know. They have a SWM system but no WHDVR. Since I don't need WHDVR in the interim, it's not a big deal. I knew it'd work, it was just a shock that the guy was not trained correctly about how programming is authorized (Though he works in promotions, I figure he'd have at least a basic understanding of the system... apparently not).

I was simply asking if there was a way not to have to pay the fee for the second time around, but apparently there's not. I'll try to push the issue when I move to my new place to see if they can waive it... but I won't hold my breath.

If all you did was change your service address, that should count as a Mover's Connection. Mover's Connection is done when DirecTV needs to come out and set up a dish at the new location. Basically, they are doing a new install for you.

From what you described, you just changed the service location to your parent's address. When you get your final residence, if they don't have a dish already, then you can set up your Mover's Connection.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

you just changed the service location to your parent's address.

Strange... the guy at DirecTV also misinterpreted "moving in with relatives" as being my parents :D I'm actually moving in with a cousin for a short time!
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

spam firewall