Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S208 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss (Limited Release)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

POV = Point of View. It appears to "us" to be random, not targeted.
If you could actually see the targeting it would be less random.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Time to start a new thread.

I got S209 on one of my Hoppers last night.

If you could provide date/time of that download ... or a picture.

#43 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I could but I am not going to.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#44 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

S208 crashed again, just now. Start of PTAT. Two nights in a row after almost a week of trouble-free performance. Interesting stuff.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

I could but I am not going to.

It's something ... date and time from your TV screen .. hard to believe in such 'helpless' .. why ?

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

It's something ... date and time from your TV screen .. hard to believe in such 'helpless' .. why ?

I will not be posting a screen shot when I get S2.09 (or whatever I get next) either.
It is not needed.

#47 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

OMG.

I would read a question before reply ... just in case if the process ignored - asking for DATE and TIME, no need screenshot for such thing.

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

I would read a question before reply ... just in case if the process ignored - asking for DATE and TIME, no need screenshot for such thing.

Perhaps you should read your question ...

As clearly stated, I will not be providing a picture - and I do not believe any picture or further information should be demanded. If someone wants to share the date of their download it is their choice - not a requirement nor something that should be asked for in a demeaning manner.

#49 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

Hey... make those crashes three nights in a row. Something has definitely gone south with S208. Bedroom Hopper is still on S207 and works fine. I'm going to do a power-off reset when I get home from work today if 208 is still there.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#50 OFFLINE   hejohnmeyer3

hejohnmeyer3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Any comments on whether the new software release will allow me to play previously recorded programs from currently unsubcribed channels?

Thanks.

#51 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Perhaps you should read your question ...

As clearly stated, I will not be providing a picture - and I do not believe any picture or further information should be demanded. If someone wants to share the date of their download it is their choice - not a requirement nor something that should be asked for in a demeaning manner.

It was clearly asked as a courtesy, not a DEMAND. We should cut the bickering also ! And paranoid intentions.

#52 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Information I received about this issue indicates that any recordings from channels that aren't part of the subscribe channels will not allow for playback on that recorded event. I don't believe this policy is slated to change. Thanks.

Any comments on whether the new software release will allow me to play previously recorded programs from currently unsubcribed channels?

Thanks.

#53 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Information I received about this issue indicates that any recordings from channels that aren't part of the subscribe channels will not allow for playback on that recorded event. I don't believe this policy is slated to change. Thanks.

Ray, that's an awful lousy rug to pull out from under us, then.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#54 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Ray, that's an awful lousy rug to pull out from under us, then.

It's not the way any other Dish DVR works, so I'd say it's a bug. I hope Dish doesn't base their policies on software bugs. :-)

I'll certainly not consider upgrading to a Hopper/Joey system until the bug is fixed.

-- Roger

#55 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

It's not the way any other Dish DVR works, so I'd say it's a bug. I hope Dish doesn't base their policies on software bugs. :-)

I'll certainly not consider upgrading to a Hopper/Joey system until the bug is fixed.

-- Roger

Considering channels move packages, I'd be pretty irate if I recorded something and lost the ability to view it the next day.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Ok, then....

Does some plan exist to screw around with the ViP DVR series owners on this matter in some new firmware/software release?:nono2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#57 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Users with 209 are reporting otherwise. They claim their recordings will now play back regardless of current subscription.

#58 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Not to mention the workaround.

Subscribe to that channel for a month+, Watch evereything and then drop it.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#59 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I`m really new to this but if I understand correctly, whats the point in recording a program and then not being able to watch it at a later date subscriber to the same channels or not. I thought the purpose of a DVR was to record a program and have the ability to watch at another date and time...It should be my recording as long as I have the DVR in my posession... Word gets out that this is true about not keeping a recording that you are not subscribed too I think the sales will slow way down on the hopper...If I had known this was true I would have done something different than the hopper....AM I hearing correctly that you loose recordings to channels you unsubscribe too...

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I`m really new to this but if I understand correctly, whats the point in recording a program and then not being able to watch it at a later date subscriber to the same channels or not. I thought the purpose of a DVR was to record a program and have the ability to watch at another date and time...It should be my recording as long as I have the DVR in my posession... Word gets out that this is true about not keeping a recording that you are not subscribed too I think the sales will slow way down on the hopper...If I had known this was true I would have done something different than the hopper....AM I hearing correctly that you loose recordings to channels you unsubscribe too...

Perhaps you should read OFFICIAL note:

spam firewall