Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S208 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss (Limited Release)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I`m really new to this but if I understand correctly, whats the point in recording a program and then not being able to watch it at a later date subscriber to the same channels or not. I thought the purpose of a DVR was to record a program and have the ability to watch at another date and time...It should be my recording as long as I have the DVR in my posession... Word gets out that this is true about not keeping a recording that you are not subscribed too I think the sales will slow way down on the hopper...If I had known this was true I would have done something different than the hopper....AM I hearing correctly that you loose recordings to channels you unsubscribe too...

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. Some have reported they cannot playback on a Hopper premium content saved on an EHD if they no longer subscribe to that channel. This was apparently a bug which was reportedly fixed in 209 (can anyone in this forum confirm?).

Otherwise Hopper works the same all all Dish DVRs. You can record premium content, unsubscribe, and still play back that content. I recorded the Game of Thrones marathon on HBO during the preview a few weeks ago on my Hopper. I don't subscribe to HBO, yet everything I recorded plays back fine, just as it did in the past on my old 722.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

There is certain DISH content (primarily PPVs) that does expire but this seems to be more of a bug than a feature. If unsubscribing from a channel loses the ability to play content recorded from that channel by policy it should affect ALL recordings, not just external hard drive recordings played on a Hopper.

I would not be surprised to see that "feature" added in the future ... especially on DRM channels like the HBOs. Being able to record a few months and then keep playing it back is pretty much the core of HBO's movie schedule. Repetition.

#63 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

Courtesy of DISH Network support.dish.com

(Hopper and Joey)
+ PrimeTime Anytime (PTAT) events displayed on TV Viewing Status landing page
TV Viewing Status Page will include displaying all PTAT events when an active tuner is taken for PTAT. TV Viewing Status Page can be accessed through the hotkey to view current tuner status. User can quickly join any of the displayed PTAT events from this screen

+ PrimeTime Anytime (PTAT) Save Series
PTAT Save Series allow user to save any PTAT series events, beyond the default 8 days, to the DVR quickly. This feature can be accessed through DVR and PrimeTime Anytime folder and SELECT the series. The chosen and all future recordings of the series will saved to DVR

+ Facebook
Facebook allow users to login and access their Wall, News Feed, User’s Photos, User’s Tagged Photos, and Friends’ photos; plus Like, view and post comments. Facebook is accessed through the ‘Apps’ tile from the Main Menu

(Hopper Only)
+ 1 Terabyte User Partition
Increased User partition allows user to record up to 500hrs of HD content. Current user limitation is 250hrs of HD content
+ Pandora
Pandora Internet Radio allow customers to login from the Hopper only (Joey support in June) to stream their personalized radio stations through their television. Pandora is accessed through the ‘Apps’ tile from the Main Menu

+ PTAT Help Video
PTAT Help Video allow user to access demonstration video about PrimeTime Anytime. This feature can be accessed by clicking ‘Learn More’ button from PrimeTime Anytime Enable/Disable screen
Minor Enhancements and Bug fixes (Hopper and Joey):
+ Household Key Support
++ The Household Key is a security tool that allows all Hoppers on an account to permit authorized Joeys to be linked and activated. This will allow a total of 9 receivers to be activated. Support for homes with more than 9 receivers exists with a work around. DISH has not officially launched a prescribed installation program for more than 9 receivers.
+ Improved Factory Install Wizard
++ UI enhancements were made to make installation more intuitive with step-by-step approach on system restart.
Bugs
++ Display spinup popup when beginning EHDD event playback if necessary
++ Timer Limit message appearing incorrectly
++ Recording icon not dropping from Joey when user shares with another location which is live
++ When pausing immediately after channel change (banner still present), display red icon that DVR functionality is not immediately available
+ Cursor Focus Changes (On Going)
+ Disable Green Hot Key (Quick Clicks)
+Joey Software Information in Hopper MENU-MENU System Info
+ Add ‘How to access – text’ to TV Viewing Status landing page
+ In EPGs ‘Guide’ filter - display custom user list and default. “List 1, List 2, List 3, List 4” will be removed

#64 OFFLINE   hejohnmeyer3

hejohnmeyer3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

My hopper was loaded with S209 last night, and I was still unable to play SOME recordings from currently unsubscribed channels this morning. (But, even with S207, I was still able to play SOME recordings.) Per the response from Ray with DIRT, I guess I should just consider myself lucky to have the ability to play SOME of my old recordings. Although I find it very odd that there would be one policy for Hopper, and another for the ViP series.

Incidently, when S209 loaded, it deleted some of my Timers; just the Timers that were of the "DISH Pass" variety, (i.e. those timers that don't specifically target a specific program, but rather record programs using a general search).

Thanks to all who responded.

spam firewall