Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio distorted on HR24 recordings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

The title pretty much describes it. It sounds garbled and distorted off and on through pretty much all of my recordings. Is there an easy fix? I do have the protection plan, but dont want to risk the chance of getting it replaced with something other than another HR24..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

It might be be helpful to know how your audio is connected (HDMI, optical audio, or analog out)? Also is the distortion present on all of the output types? Is video affected at all? Is this only happening on recordings or also on "live" TV?

#3 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Connected via HDMI and its only happening on recorded shows, no issues with live TV. No issues with video.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Connected via HDMI and its only happening on recorded shows, no issues with live TV. No issues with video.

Only on recorded shows? Might be the HDD. Which 24 model is it? They are not all the same. Are you using the stock internal HDD? You might try putting an external drive on the 24 and seeing if that fixes the audio problem.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

My wife complained about garbled and distorted audio the other night. When I went to see what was causing the issue I noticed she was watching a political debate between the commentators on CNN. I had to remind her they never talk in the clear and always sound that way......DLP2008, I agree with Rich. Seeing how it's only on recorded shows it sounds like the HDD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

It is an HR24-500. Its the stock internal HDD. Kind of weird because I've barely had this unit for a month. It was brand new when I got it also. Build date of 12/2011.

MysteryMan, I share your opinion on the CNN political commentators...;)

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

It is an HR24-500. Its the stock internal HDD. Kind of weird because I've barely had this unit for a month. It was brand new when I got it also. Build date of 12/2011.

I've had all three models of the 24s and I think the 500s are the flakiest. But, I like them and wouldn't hesitate to get a couple more. They don't take external HDDs easily, I can tell you that. I would still try an external drive before I gave that 500 back, tho. You should get a 24 in return for a bad 24. You should, but will you? I dunno.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'll try another hard drive for sure. I'm afraid they'll send me a shiny used HR22...I don't need another one of those :P

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'll try another hard drive for sure. I'm afraid they'll send me a shiny used HR22...I don't need another one of those :P

Wise choice.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I get garble DD 5.1 audio frequently from my two HR24-100s. I thought the source of the garble was my old Denon AVR in the living room. Recently, I noticed bad audio in the master bedroom which has a two year old Sony AVR. The Denon connects to the HR24 via a coaxial cable, and the Sony AVR connects with an HDMI cable. In my case, garbled audio comes from live and recorded video. I would blame the bad audio on signal strength, but the Slim5 was adjusted when SWim / DECA wireless was installed for MRV. My thought is this garbled audio relates to the SD / HD DD 5.1 issues.

Best wishes!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

spam firewall