Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which receivers do I want?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

My parents (89 years old) are likely changing from Comcast to DISH. I currently have DISH and will likely be the long distance troubleshooter. Here is what they have now and what they will likely need. They have one HD-DVR and one HD non-DVR receiver with each controlling one TV. I thought that since I have a 722k and a 211 that it might make sense to get them the same two receivers. However DISH said that they could only get a 722 if it was controlling two TV's. They suggested the 612 instead of the 722. My thought was that the 722 was a better choice because it could record two programs while watching one while the 612 can only do one and one. My other thought was to get two 211's and hook up an external hard drive to one to make it a DVR and avoid the DVR fees. Would this make sense? Any other suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Other than the HD size, I thought the only differences between the 612 and 722 was PIP and a 2nd SD TV.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I would go with 2x211; total independent boxes and less fee.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

722 is dual tuner with two independent outputs, the 612 is a dual tuner with one output at a time. The 612 can record two programs at the same time, 3 if you have OTA but all outputs view the same thing while the 722 can watch two different things. If you want a 722 you have to tell Dish it is for two tv's, To get a 211 along with it, tell Dish 2 HD tv's, one with dvr and one sd tv with a dvr.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I would go with 2x211; total independent boxes and less fee.

I think I would agree but add external Hard Drive to both so they could both record. Also if you have to trouble shoot you have the same model.:)

#6 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Unless you think they'd like a Hopper and a Joey?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#7 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Unless you think they'd like a Hopper and a Joey?

You are kidding ... They are too old (89 years) to be beta/gamma testers.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,354 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

You are kidding ... They are too old (89 years) to be beta/gamma testers.

The core features of the Hopper/Joey work fine. If the 89 year olds want to push the envelope beyond watching and recording TV (like many of the people here on this forum) they might have the issues mentioned on this forum but for typical shared TV viewing they will do fine with a Hopper/Joey system.

That being said, a 612 + 211 will also work, minus the shared viewing and requiring a hard drive to be added to the 211 if recording would occur in that room. What DISH will provide depends on the number of HD TVs on the order. If there are two HD TVs on the order (or Hopper is requested) DISH will provide a Hopper based system. If there is only one or no HD TVs on the order DISH will provide ViP or SD equipment, as appropriate.

#9 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the good info. There are two HD TV's, but only one is going to have a DVR. My mom can handle it. My dad has trouble changing the channels let alone trying to learn how to use a DVR.

So if I get two 211's and one hard drive, I know I'll have to get the USB port(s) activated. But will I have all of the DVR features without having to pay anything extra for it?

Thanks.

Len

#10 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

There is a one time activation fee of $40 for the account and would include both 211's and you can move the EHD between all 211/411's on the account. It won't work exactly like a dvr unit, but it is close. Also, the receiver with the EHD will have the 9-day guide as opposed to the 44 hour guide.

#11 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Just to wrap up this thread, I got them two 211's. Had the USB ports activated and bought them an external hard drive. System is in and my mom was able to set up the external hard drive on the phone with me - pretty proud of her to be able to do that - not that hard, but she is 89 and electronically challenged. :) So there will be no DVR service fee even though they will have a DVR. External hard drive ought to pay for itself in six months.

Thanks for the help with my decision.

Len

#12 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Just to wrap up this thread, I got them two 211's. Had the USB ports activated and bought them an external hard drive. System is in and my mom was able to set up the external hard drive on the phone with me - pretty proud of her to be able to do that - not that hard, but she is 89 and electronically challenged. :) So there will be no DVR service fee even though they will have a DVR. External hard drive ought to pay for itself in six months.

Thanks for the help with my decision.

Len

Congratulations and good luck.:):):)

spam firewall