Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

On Demand way over-compressed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I used on demand to download 2 episodes of Magic City, one of which also recorded from the satellite. Both episodes that came from On Demand were seriously, noticeably over-compressed. This was particularly noticeable in scenes that panned so that the whole screen had to be updated. In those scenes, the picture nearly broke up and was redrawn in slices, kind of like banding you might see on a bad inkjet printer. Nothing like this was evident in the same episode recorded from the satellite.

I don't know who was responsible for compression - the content provider (Starz in the case) or DirecTV. But I found the over-compression very distracting. If all on-demand programming is compressed this way, I won't use it.

This is disappointing because there's really no good reason on-demand programming needs to be compressed beyond what is beamed from the satellite. I understand that cranking up compression will reduce file sizes, save bandwidth, and allow programs to download faster. But if the result is significant loss of video quality and compression artifacts that are distracting, I'd much prefer to wait a bit longer for full quality video.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think it's just tug war - they do increase compression for better ROI and watching for a level of complains and a moment of declining revenue of the service.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

That's weird. Usually the OnDemand PQ is even better. I watched "Boss" via OnDemand a couple months ago and it was pristine. Showtime & HBO are also usually pristine.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

That's weird. Usually the OnDemand PQ is even better. I watched "Boss" via OnDemand a couple months ago and it was pristine. Showtime & HBO are also usually pristine.

I'm glad to hear that and hope this was just an isolated problem with Magic City, but both episodes did exhibit the same issue so it was not just a fluke with one download.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm glad to hear that and hope this was just an isolated problem with Magic City, but both episodes did exhibit the same issue so it was not just a fluke with one download.

Which episode was it? I'll check it here.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

There always can be a bad file, but generally VOD is or can be better than the SAT feed because the encoding isn't being done in real time like the SAT feed has to be.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Makes sense, VOS, and I hope this was just an anomaly.

sigma1914, the episodes were "Feeding Frenzy" and "Castles Made of Sand" from 1527 STARZ. The worst/most obvious scene I can remember is one in which there is a pan across the exterior of the hotel, but IIRC any scene that had a big pan in it looked pretty bad until most of the motion stopped. In scenes without a lot of motion, there was still evidence of softness and some compression artifacts - just not as noticeable.

I watched "Castles Made of Sand" all the way through since the DVR hadn't grabbed it from the satellite yet. "Feed Frenzy" I had pulled down before it recorded from the satellite and wife started the VOD version since she had the remote and didn't know the difference (choosing my battles, I didn't say anything). But, a few minutes in, the compression was bothering me enough that I stopped the VOD and picked up watching the one recorded from the satellite instead.

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

I tried episode 103 and it was kinda bad...more blurry on movement but didn't see macro blocking.

#9 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Doesn't DirecTV offer two separate versions for download? A lower resolution version for people with slower connections and the regular version? Is it possible you or your wife downloaded the low res version?

#10 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Doesn't DirecTV offer two separate versions for download? A lower resolution version for people with slower connections and the regular version? Is it possible you or your wife downloaded the low res version?

I've never heard that. The only VOD that comes up in search for Magic City is on STARZ 1527. I don't see anything about different versions.

#11 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I noticed the same thing with those 2 episodes of Magic City. I don't think it's an issue with the On-Demand service itself. I've watched plenty of content that was great PQ.

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

You're thinking of PPV movies. That option exists for the 1080p content.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Doesn't DirecTV offer two separate versions for download?

If there is a choice I think it's only whether you want SD or HD.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Some of the VOD HD content asks you if you want the higher quality slower download or the slightly lower quality faster download when you choose the HD versions. I agree with most here that I usually find the VOD PQ better as long as its the HD version.

#15 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Yes they do for HD content. I always select the higher quality download.
And I watched both of the Magic City episodes op mentioned and the both looked great here.

Edited by SPACEMAKER, 22 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I just went to try episode 103 and it did not download. It was preloaded via satellite on my disk. Maybe that is where the issue lies?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#17 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I just went to try episode 103 and it did not download. It was preloaded via satellite on my disk. Maybe that is where the issue lies?

Interesting. They may have started preloading it based on popularity. It does seem to be airing on a number of different channels including Audience right now. When I first got it from VOD, it did download - though unusually quickly - which may be have been due to smaller file size from too much compression.

I do think preloading popular shows is a good idea in principle to make DTV's "on demand" a little more on demand even for those with slower internet connections.

#18 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yes
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...