Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Comcast the answer?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

You can order a leased unit from a site like Solid Signal. It would not be a replacement of defective, so would have a 2 year contract. All HR DVRs are 3D compatible except the HR20. The HMC is the HR34, 5 tuners. It does require a SWM setup, one coax line coming to it off the dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

What's this Home Media Center HD DVR I see at Directs site?

In addition to dpeters info, the HR34 is basically an HR24 with three extra tuners, and double the storage space as the HR24. Both are comparably fast. The HR34 also offers Picture in Picture. The HR34 also allows you to plug in an ethernet cable to supply internet access to all available DirecTv internet capable boxes without needing a separate internet connection kit.

As dpeters stated, all the newest DirecTv boxes require a single wire multiswitch LNB or external switch. Those models would he the HR34 (HMC) and H25 receiver.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#43 OFFLINE   madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks guys, looks like a hr24 well fill my needs.

Well the hr24 plug and play with the current hr21 cabling?

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks guys, looks like a hr24 well fill my needs.

Well the hr24 plug and play with the current hr21 cabling?

yep

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

Yes I had Comcast and as the old saying says the grass is not always greener on the other side. I will be back to Comcast after my year is up with DIRECTV. The pic quality is better with Comcast and more HD on local and national not just sports and BS real channels that people watch.The DVR is easy to use and pretty fast. I will be back with Comcast!!!

#46 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

It's NEVER time to switch to Comcast. We had it for years and directv is Sooo much better!

+1

Cant speak about other areas of the country, but here in Philly, Comcast nickel and dimes people with all their fees. I have to give FIOS credit, even though I feel their HD service isnt as good as D's is, they do offer very good triple play bundle pricing. Comcast triple play pricing doesnt even seem like new customer pricing after all the frees are tabulated.

#47 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

I will be back to Comcast after my year is up with DIRECTV.

DIRECTV hasn't had 12 month commitments for some time now. HD or DVR installations have been 24 months for a few years now. SD receiver installations were 18 months up until recently but are now also 24 months.

I would suggest you confirm the length of your programming commitment before you burn any bridges.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#48 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I had looked at alternatives during the pre 0x5c8 firmware (about the last three months) and discovered:
Time Warner Cable - poor PQ and fairly high cost
Cin Bell Fioptics - even with a bundle, very expensive and lots of complaints
Dish - I was paying most attention to this, since they were offering a compelling package to switch to them, and I don't really need DirecTicket or other sports stuff prevalent on DTV. I had all but decided to take the bait if the last firmware hadn't magically restored my HR-20...now I'm glad I didn't :)

#49 OFFLINE   madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

I had Dish for two years and was not happy, mostly the business practices, bait and switch. Billing issues often.

Direct was upfront about cost, increases have not been out of line. I've been happy for about seven years now. I had my original box replaced because of a failure about three years ago with the current hr21.

When I sign in to my Direc t online account I see a Customer Loyalty Offer. I can get a hr24 shipped for $20 and 2 years agreement.

This morning my hr21 is batty crazy, locks and reboots ever 30 minutes. After reboot it well accept commands from the remote for maybe 10 minutes then stops accepting commands. 20 min later it reboots.

I'm not happy about paying $4 a day for this.

It's time to call CS, I'm dreading this as I may not stay composed. Wish me luck.

ETA: Call to CS went well. The customer loyalty offer is a hr24 and I was told if it is not, I have fourteen days to to return it (can not activate) and I'm not under the two year obligation. Seems fair to me, worst case is I'm out $40 in shipping cost. I'll gamble that amount.

Edited by madcratebuilder, 07 May 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

If Comcrap is the answer, I don't want to know the question...
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#51 OFFLINE   scubasteve

scubasteve

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

All of the companies have pro's and con's. Those change from year to year. Some years one vendor will get it right and the others play catch up. The next year someone else gets it right...

For every person who hates D there is one who loves them, same goes for Dish, Comcast, Brighthouse etc. One could spend a life time reading threads and never find enough compelling information to make the jump.

There are so many threads of folks leaving one company for the next only to return to what they were familiar with.

We all get what we pay for - everyone wants to spend as little as possible - the flip side is the studios want more money and they get what they want most of the time. After the CEO's line their pockets whats left goes to running the company. R&D, software development, and testing teams are not staffed as they should be in many industries including this one.

At least when you call D you get a US based agent 99% of the time. And they are getting better every day.

The real question isn't "is xxxxx the answer". The real question is what made you start to think about switching to someone else. Once you answer that then you need only find the vendor that solves that problem.

-s

spam firewall