Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to Hopper - Can't Resume Playback???

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

If I understand you inquiry, you are playing a recording while it is stil recording. you pause the playback and are not getting an option to resume when you return to the recording.

To resume play where you left off on a recording, you have 2 options. 1) press Pause to resume where you left off, or 2) press Play on the remote to resume. Both options will resume play where you paused. This can be done at either the Hopper or Joey.

Also, if you stop watching the program, and want to watch later, pressing the Play button on the remote will resume play where you stopped. This will only work on a recording that is completely recorded. Pressing play on an event while it is recording will begin the playback from the start. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

The issue still exists with 2.09.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DScottB

DScottB

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

If I understand you inquiry, you are playing a recording while it is stil recording. you pause the playback and are not getting an option to resume when you return to the recording.

To resume play where you left off on a recording, you have 2 options. 1) press Pause to resume where you left off, or 2) press Play on the remote to resume. Both options will resume play where you paused. This can be done at either the Hopper or Joey.

Also, if you stop watching the program, and want to watch later, pressing the Play button on the remote will resume play where you stopped. This will only work on a recording that is completely recorded. Pressing play on an event while it is recording will begin the playback from the start. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

What you mention in your last paragraph is what I am interested in. Here is the scenario: I am recording a baseball game that comes on at 7:00. At 7:15 I start watching the game from the beginning. At 8:00, I stop watching the game and watch something else with my family. At 10:00, when the game is still recording, I want to be able to go back to the baseball game, hit resume, and resume watching where I left off watching at 8:00 without having to fast forward to that point from the beginning.

It really becomes annoying when I only have a few minutes at a time to watch a game that is still recording and having to keep starting over from the beginning.

Directv had this ability, but I have never had a receiver do this from Dish.

#23 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

If the game is still recording, pressing the Play button will play the recording from the beginning. The only way to resume a playback is after a recording is completed and you stop the playback. When you access the recorded event again, you can resume playback where you last stopped. Thanks.

What you mention in your last paragraph is what I am interested in. Here is the scenario: I am recording a baseball game that comes on at 7:00. At 7:15 I start watching the game from the beginning. At 8:00, I stop watching the game and watch something else with my family. At 10:00, when the game is still recording, I want to be able to go back to the baseball game, hit resume, and resume watching where I left off watching at 8:00 without having to fast forward to that point from the beginning.

It really becomes annoying when I only have a few minutes at a time to watch a game that is still recording and having to keep starting over from the beginning.

Directv had this ability, but I have never had a receiver do this from Dish.

#24 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

How odd. Here were my steps to make it work:

1) Start watching a program while being recorded.
2) Press "Pause"
3) Press "DVR"

At this point, if I select the program, "Resume" is not a menu option. Pressing "Cancel" takes me back to the program, from where I was at.

4) Select another program and watch it or change channels and watch live TV.
5) Go back to DVR, select the program I want to watch. "Resume" is now on the list of options, along with "Start Over"

I'll try it again today and see if it works. Alternatively, if you want to watch things the same evening, press pause and then swap. Then you can get back to your recording by pressing swap again - this worked before 2.09, and undoubtably still works.

#25 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

I gave it another try, and this time it did not work. Not sure how it happened the other time - that program was in Primetime Anytime, not a scheduled recording. This time was a regular scheduled recording, and Resume did not show up as an option, either with pause or stop.

So it's back to using the Swap button, which is good enough for me.

#26 OFFLINE   DScottB

DScottB

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

If the game is still recording, pressing the Play button will play the recording from the beginning. The only way to resume a playback is after a recording is completed and you stop the playback. When you access the recorded event again, you can resume playback where you last stopped. Thanks.

I know that is how it is currently working or, better stated, not working. Can you please make a suggestion to the engineers that resume become an option when playing back a show that is still recording? Without it, it makes trying to watch a sporting event that you can't watch in it's entirety frustrating.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

I gave it another try, and this time it did not work. Not sure how it happened the other time -

Most likely the recording had ended ... or it was on your PIP tuner. The other trick on a Hopper is to pause, swap, and then watch other content. Swap again should take you back to the paused program.

#28 OFFLINE   Jurio

Jurio

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I know that is how it is currently working or, better stated, not working. Can you please make a suggestion to the engineers that resume become an option when playing back a show that is still recording? Without it, it makes trying to watch a sporting event that you can't watch in it's entirety frustrating.

I agree. Please make this change. I switched from D* and not having a "resume" option is quite painful. The 'solutions' are horrible to put in bluntly

Edited by Jurio, 10 May 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Does this work around apply to a Joey too or just the Hopper?

Joeys do not have PiP so the "Swap" buttons do nothing on them.

#30 OFFLINE   White94Cobra

White94Cobra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I agree this is a must-have feature for a DVR. When I first switched from DTV I was very frustrated that I couldn't just resume watching a recording-in-progress. I almost immediately canceled and went back to DTV. Fortunately I was also using SageTV and the Dish DVR became a backup in case a recording failed on Sage.

#31 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I agree. This is a total design flaw! Every other DVR I have ever had has a live buffer, which enables you to pause and resume whether it is recording or finished. Dish, this need to be remedied yesterday!. This is the most frustrating thing on the hopper/joey. I have been trying to figure out how to do what a DVR does, just to find out, "it doesn't work that way". Well, then, it doesn't WORK! The Hopper/Joey has so many things going for it, but this is the one thing that tempts me back to DirecTV...

#32 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

seriously?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#33 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

seriously?

Uh, Yes!

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

So regardless of the cost, ETF, and the fact that everything else is head and shoulders above, that's the one feature that you must have. OK. Just...yeah. OK.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#35 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

So regardless of the cost, ETF, and the fact that everything else is head and shoulders above, that's the one feature that you must have. OK. Just...yeah. OK.

First, let me say, I'll readily admit I'm a bit of a TiVo fanboy. I've had D*TiVo for almost 10 years. When DTV FINALLY came out with their new TiVo, it was a bit of a let down, so I starting looking @ options. I settled on Dish and the hopper.

I like many things about the hopper, especially its potential future. I just get the feeling its not quite ready for prime time (no pun intended, although I don't use PTAT).

...everything else is head and shoulders above,...

Um, that's a bit subjective don't you think? Have you used other DVRS? Where do I start?

What is better:

PIP ability
Storage space (although I had 1TB a year ago w/ 80% user storage space)
Whole home DVR (I do miss my 4th Tuner - 2 each dvr)
DNLA
Apps? Eh, so far
Price (I did not say, "regardless of price" :D )
Since SW version 211 FAST!

What I miss/drives me nuts:

No live buffer
No easy way to switch between tuners--don't say PIP, its a Kludge and doesn't work if 2 or more tuners are recording.
The subject of this thread, and related; can't pause Live tv (if recording) and resume in another room.
Sortable List view on DVR.
Editable Search & Record.
Remote Shortcuts.
Timeline showing with any press of DVR functions. (Play, Pause, FFWD, Skip, etc)

Timeline showing actual point in time (i.e., 7:15pm) on time shifted "Live" TV (I could really care less how long its been paused).

Timeline showing actual time, not time remaining on recordings. (Why would time remaining be the default?!?)

No FFWD/RWD to tick marks (15,30,45 mins, etc)
Custom folders ONLY show under "My Folders"?!?!?
Don't even get me started on the remote.....

...that's the one feature you must have?

No just the one that's the most frequently annoying and frustrating - right behind the DVR button being where the Play button should be :mad: .

Just my 2c on my experience so far....

#36 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

No live buffer
No easy way to switch between tuners--don't say PIP, its a Kludge and doesn't work if 2 or more tuners are recording.

No live buffer? Of course there is. If you're watching a channel, press pause/rewind and it's all right there. 2 live buffers? Sure. Press "Swap".

To switch between tuners, press the red button. Select your tuner. How hard is that?

But yes, if you are using 2 tuners for recording, there are no available tuners to switch to. That's the price of a 3-tuner system. My DirecTV DVR had 4 tuners, but only because I had an AM21 attached. Dish could effectively do the same thing if they used their PTAT trick to allow you to set up the "locals" as a single tuner, rather than a single channel. Perhaps a software update...?

#37 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

No live buffer? Of course there is. If you're watching a channel, press pause/rewind and it's all right there. 2 live buffers? Sure. Press "Swap".

To switch between tuners, press the red button. Select your tuner. How hard is that?

But yes, if you are using 2 tuners for recording, there are no available tuners to switch to. That's the price of a 3-tuner system. My DirecTV DVR had 4 tuners, but only because I had an AM21 attached. Dish could effectively do the same thing if they used their PTAT trick to allow you to set up the "locals" as a single tuner, rather than a single channel. Perhaps a software update...?

I guess I should have specified, "no live buffer while recording"...:blush:

I just figured the red button out.....maybe if dish sent a manual? ;).
That aside, on TiVo its one button press to switch tuners...just sayin...:D

That's the price of a 3-tuner system.

I only had 2 tuners before and could still pause, rwd/ffwd, skip fwd/back, etc., on either tuner, even if BOTH were recording.

Its just seems to me, that it shouldn't matter if the tuner is recording or buffering, you should be able to control them the same way, regardless.

#38 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

I only had 2 tuners before and could still pause, rwd/ffwd, skip fwd/back, etc., on either tuner, even if BOTH were recording.

Its just seems to me, that it shouldn't matter if the tuner is recording or buffering, you should be able to control them the same way, regardless.

Have you tried the swap button?

#39 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Have you tried the swap button?

Well this is embarrassing - where is the smiley for 'eat my words'. (Didn't mean to hijack your thread, by the way.) I just tried recording on 2 tuners, and I CAN swap BacK and forth, pause, etc. Is this new with SW 211? I was positive this didn't work before (maybe it was all 3 tuners recording?). I even had moderator on the dish support forum tell me it doesn't work that way. :confused:

Now if we can just get it on the DVR menu...

Edited by deerewright, 17 May 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

DIRT gave me the solution. Instead of pressing "Pause" and then hitting DVR/Guide/Channel#, I should instead be pressing "Swap". This pauses the currently playing program and switches to the previous live channel. Then I can use the Guide, the DVR button to select other programs, or hit channel numbers to my heart's content. When I'm done, I press "Swap" again, and I'm back at my program, right where I left off. Note that I cannot select the program itself from the DVR menu - then I do not have a resume button to press - but I can still get back by pressing swap.

The only issue I can see with this solution is if all 3 tuners are in use - then there's nothing available to "Swap" to.

For me, at least, this is a workable solution. I don't think I'll often have all 3 tuners in use. Those of you with Joeys might, though...

How'd I miss that?!#%

Wishlist: Be able to do this with all 3 tuners recording; maybe an option (like multiple recall works) to choose which tuner to swap to; same option for PIP tuners?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...