Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to Hopper - Can't Resume Playback???

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

If all 3 tuners are in use, you can't swap. But no, it's not new, it's worked forever. Since the 722 at least.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

What I miss/drives me nuts:

Remote Shortcuts.

See http://www.dishuser.org/hoppertips.php

The section "From Settings Menu" needs to be updated to show that you can count the tiles and push that number instead of repeatedly cursoring to the tile.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#43 OFFLINE   doctorbs

doctorbs

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

If you continue to have issues with this please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can assist you further. Thank you!

However, I started watching a NASCAR race today (recorded event, still recording.) Paused it. Went to the DVR screen. My only choices are More Info, Live, Stop and Start Over. Whether I push Play before Select, Select, or Start Over, the only thing it does is Start Over. I lose my place in playback. Pushing Live goes to the Live event - not my place in the program, which I would expect.

I'm having 'trouble' with it.  I'm trying to watch parts of football games but have to START OVER OR GO LIVE when I go back to another game.  This is about it with me and the hopper.  This was easy with Direct TV box but I'm going to drop dish and pick up Charter and get a Tivo.  Bye Dish!!!!

#44 OFFLINE   doctorbs

doctorbs

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

DIRT gave me the solution. Instead of pressing "Pause" and then hitting DVR/Guide/Channel#, I should instead be pressing "Swap". This pauses the currently playing program and switches to the previous live channel. Then I can use the Guide, the DVR button to select other programs, or hit channel numbers to my heart's content. When I'm done, I press "Swap" again, and I'm back at my program, right where I left off. Note that I cannot select the program itself from the DVR menu - then I do not have a resume button to press - but I can still get back by pressing swap.

The only issue I can see with this solution is if all 3 tuners are in use - then there's nothing available to "Swap" to.

For me, at least, this is a workable solution. I don't think I'll often have all 3 tuners in use. Those of you with Joeys might, though...

So you can return to only one event using Swap right?  6 or 7 football games on and you can record 5 and watch one with the new 6 channel hopper  but you can only go BACK to where you were watching ONE game with the recall.  Any other game you chose you will have to start over and fast forward to where you were before you changed channels or join the game live which is what you DON'T want to do because you want to watch the recording to see what has transpired before rather than jump right into the game where it is.  I have Hopper with 3 tuners which I'm sure most of you do so you can leave one game, go to the ....hmmm just tried that and it didn't work.  Recall...if that,s what your talking about in Swap doesn't take you back to where you were recording. 

#45 OFFLINE   doctorbs

doctorbs

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

No live buffer? Of course there is. If you're watching a channel, press pause/rewind and it's all right there. 2 live buffers? Sure. Press "Swap".

To switch between tuners, press the red button. Select your tuner. How hard is that?

But yes, if you are using 2 tuners for recording, there are no available tuners to switch to. That's the price of a 3-tuner system. My DirecTV DVR had 4 tuners, but only because I had an AM21 attached. Dish could effectively do the same thing if they used their PTAT trick to allow you to set up the "locals" as a single tuner, rather than a single channel. Perhaps a software update...?

Not hard at all but if you try to go to a game you were watching and is being recorded it wont let you Resume your game.  You have to either join (Start Over) and Fast Forward to where you were in the game which is a REAL pain or go to the Live broadcast which you don't want to do or STOP RECORDING.  There is no Resume to take you back to the spot you left the game. 

#46 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

I know that on Directv you can't resume a recorded program when you're watching from one spot, while trying to watch that same recording at the same time in another room (It'll just play at the beginning) unless you stop or paused the recording, then you can resume in the other receiver, Even if it's recording live event and you watched a small portion of that recording and stopped or paused, then the same applies to resuming in the other room to that same spot you initially paused.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#47 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

Not hard at all but if you try to go to a game you were watching and is being recorded it wont let you Resume your game.  You have to either join (Start Over) and Fast Forward to where you were in the game which is a REAL pain or go to the Live broadcast which you don't want to do or STOP RECORDING.  There is no Resume to take you back to the spot you left the game. 

It's not hard, and no, you can't resume.  You have to use the PiP Swap button to pause/resume a program while it is being recorded.  And you can only do this on a Hopper, and only if you have an available tuner to swap to.

Although no one has confirmed this, it is almost certainly a patent issue.  I can think of no technical reason why Dish wouldn't implement a feature that would be popular with many customers.

#48 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

I love using the Swap button along with the PIP to follow 2 programs.  While I am watching one I can see when the other is back from commercial and so forth.  Very addictive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...