Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get DirecTV or stay with Time Warner?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Right now, we have Time Warner's SignatureHome and we have constant problems with channels going out, internet and phone going out for a few mins and then coming back. We have some small cisco boxes and there are constant problems with the HD picture and they seem to not care and not do anything to fix it.

So I am thinking we should keep internet and phone and switch the TV to DirecTV and it will make the bill alot cheaper.

What do you think? Is DirecTV any better then Time Warner? Picture Quality?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have had DIRECTV for over 12 years, and I could not imagine going back to cable. When I visit relatives or friends who have cable, using their DVR's are incredibly frustrating. I say switch.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Right now, we have Time Warner's SignatureHome and we have constant problems with channels going out, internet and phone going out for a few mins and then coming back. We have some small cisco boxes and there are constant problems with the HD picture and they seem to not care and not do anything to fix it.

So I am thinking we should keep internet and phone and switch the TV to DirecTV and it will make the bill alot cheaper.

My signature says it all. Upgrade to DirecTV and use Time Warner for internet like I do.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

DirecTV gives me better service from 45,000 miles away than Time Warner does from ten miles away.

#5 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Depends on what you are looking for. DirecTV is a great provider, the only thing that I could think of that would hold you back is Time Warner's on-demand service. DirecTV has a similar on-demand service but it's not instant, it's based on your internet speed and takes a few to buffer so you can watch it. If that's not a big deal to you, I would highly recommend DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

We're quite biased here since it's a satellite site. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Since you would be "new", you might get the fastest/newest hd dvr and a bunch of freebies. I've been with 'em for 17+ years, have a dvr that's 5 years old and takes forever to do the simplest tasks. Just search this forum for "slowness" and "slow receiver" and you can read for hours. I was thinking of dumping DTV for TW cable!! DTV has been most unhelpful with the situation.

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Since you would be "new", you might get the fastest/newest hd dvr and a bunch of freebies. I've been with 'em for 17+ years, have a dvr that's 5 years old and takes forever to do the simplest tasks. Just search this forum for "slowness" and "slow receiver" and you can read for hours. I was thinking of dumping DTV for TW cable!! DTV has been most unhelpful with the situation.

I'll help you... www.solidsignal.com
You too can the fastest/newest HD DVR. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I thought SignatureHoe was supposed to come with personal advisors for issues?

At least here, there is a big difference between picture quality, DirecTV wins hands down and the DVRs can store more hours to boot.

#10 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'll help you... www.solidsignal.com
You too can the fastest/newest HD DVR. ;)

Darn it, I was perfectly happy with my HR 20-100 until Feb. 9 when the dreadful 0x59e was pushed to my DVR. I'm now an expert at all the workarounds to address the now nearly unresponsive nature of this box. My point is that DTV did this to this DVR, and I shouldn't have to pay a penny to get a DVR that changes channels when I direct it to, displays a list in less than 10 seconds, can delete a program in less than 10 seconds, can complete a smart search in less than a minute, and in general behaves like it did BEFORE the redoubtable 0x59e release!! Roll back this stupid software (at least to my box) and give me back my DVR, please! I'll repeat: I shouldn't have to pay to fix a problem that I didn't cause!

#11 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Darn it, I was perfectly happy with my HR 20-100 until Feb. 9 when the dreadful 0x59e was pushed to my DVR. I'm now an expert at all the workarounds to address the now nearly unresponsive nature of this box. My point is that DTV did this to this DVR, and I shouldn't have to pay a penny to get a DVR that changes channels when I direct it to, displays a list in less than 10 seconds, can delete a program in less than 10 seconds, can complete a smart search in less than a minute, and in general behaves like it did BEFORE the redoubtable 0x59e release!! Roll back this stupid software (at least to my box) and give me back my DVR, please! I'll repeat: I shouldn't have to pay to fix a problem that I didn't cause!

I agree. DIRECTV really ought to phase out the HR20,21,22,23 boxes.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Eventually they will. Just won't happen over night. A mass phase out of the 20-23 series receivers would come at a high price forcing DirecTV to pass the cost on to the customers.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Eventually they will. Just won't happen over night. A mass phase out of the 20-23 series receivers would come at a high price forcing DirecTV to pass the cost on to the customers.

Yeah, that's what "phase out" means. To eliminate something one phase at a time.
  • damondlt likes this

#14 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

I switched from TW to DTV and love it. I did it via Verizon bundle (now Frontier). Don't think TW has a DTV bundle deal. Do you have the Verizon service in your area? If so, investigate it.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#15 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Best thing is to see if you can find a dealer or friend and try the Direct DVR. If you do go with Direct it is best to get your DVR from a dealer so you can be sure to get an HR24.

#16 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

At the very least the 21,22,23 (ESPECIALLY the 23). The 20-700 is still a horse
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#17 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

We're quite biased here since it's a satellite site. ;)

True, but TW is the second largest cable provider so many of us have either had it or know someone who does.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

At the very least the 21,22,23 (ESPECIALLY the 23). The 20-700 is still a horse

Yeah, I almost left the 20-700 off the list, but they are getting very long in the tooth. While it is still a workhorse, I still think they ought to be retired.

#19 OFFLINE   mpaquette

mpaquette

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

The only thing I dislike about Directv is the 2 year committment. I'm within a few months of the end of mine and would like to add a 3rd receiver, but I won't because I'm not committing for another 2 years. Time Warner is the cable company in my area and I'm thinking of checking them out vs. committing to Directv again.

#20 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Switch to DirecTV and look down your nose at the poor Time Warner saps who don't have NFL Network. It doesn't matter if you actually watch it... you can be elite by association.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...