Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get DirecTV or stay with Time Warner?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I switched from TW to DirecTV 13 years ago and never looked back. Where I live, the only options are TW, DirecTV, and Dish, and TW is by far third on that list.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

The only thing I dislike about Directv is the 2 year committment. I'm within a few months of the end of mine and would like to add a 3rd receiver, but I won't because I'm not committing for another 2 years. Time Warner is the cable company in my area and I'm thinking of checking them out vs. committing to Directv again.

The other day there were still 2 hr24s for sale in buy/sell/trade. Sure, he was asking $300 (plus access card fee etc), but owned with no contract. You don't have to have a commitment.

#23 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I switched from TWC. The only thing I miss is that they had more HD channels in 2010 than DirecTV has now... and they offer more locals than DirecTV for me.

Other than that, the boxes suck and are painfully slow and the channel layout sucks too. Seriously, why all the duplicate channels (duplicates, more than one SD version of the same channel) and at least with DirecTV you can hide the SD duplicates.

Time Warner does have great cable inernet service though. I have a 30/5 connection and it's been stable since I got Road Runner back in 2005 and there's no cap.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Their putting HD in the 900 or 1000s wold drive me nuts. Fortunately I get better than 30/5 from my phone company so don't need Time Warner for anything.

#25 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

If I were you, I would switch to DirecTV from TWC in a heartbeat, especially if you're dissatisfied with their service. Don't know why you'd stick with TWC for phone and internet, though, if they are problematic as well (unless you have no other alternative).

The only advantage I can see for TWC, at least in my area, is more basic HD channels. But, after seeing the HD on my friends' TWC boxes, I think the HD picture quality is better on DirecTV (SD is still crap, though). So if you value HD quality over quantity, then DirecTV is a better choice.

Add this to the fact that you can get a nice promotional rate by switching (and probably the latest and greatest equipment as well), and the decision is even easier...

#26 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Since you would be "new", you might get the fastest/newest hd dvr and a bunch of freebies. I've been with 'em for 17+ years, have a dvr that's 5 years old and takes forever to do the simplest tasks. Just search this forum for "slowness" and "slow receiver" and you can read for hours. I was thinking of dumping DTV for TW cable!! DTV has been most unhelpful with the situation.

If you're out of contract, just cancel DirecTV. Within a week or so, you'll get a "We want you back" letter with a great rate and probably new and better equipment as well. It's funny how DirecTV won't give you newer/faster equipment to keep you as a customer, but they'll bend over backwards to get you to come back. Makes no sense to me.

#27 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,226 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

If you do decide to go to TWC (the dark side :) ) you may want to consider suspending your DIRECTV service to see if you like cable without giving up all of your equipment and then having to buy it again if you don't like the cable.

I wish I would have found this site and gotten that suggestion when I did that switch a few years back. The receivers held about 20 hrs. of HD and rebooted about twice a day, but only when you were changing channels. :( I put up with it for about 6 months and then came back.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#28 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,226 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

You asked about picture quality in your first post and I think you would have to see it for yourself, it's different in every location. Here they have a lot of HD channels but there are streaks that shoot through the screen and it looks terrible. My brother, parents and in-laws all have TWC HD in our city and have the same issue.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#29 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Here the HD seems to pixilate horribly. I see it with everyone that I know that has it.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#30 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I switched from TWC. The only thing I miss is that they had more HD channels in 2010 than DirecTV has now... and they offer more locals than DirecTV for me.

Other than that, the boxes suck and are painfully slow...

Well after using my HR2xs after the HD Interface upgrade, I wouldn't describe them as blazing fast. The TWC boxes are of no concern to me anyway since I'm using a TiVo HD. Is it flawless? No, I don't know how anyone who has had to use a tuning adapter for switched digital video would ever say that is a flawless experience. One or two missed recordings a month, but I have to say it has made me re-examine paying $50/mo. or more for TV service. Internet, sure. TV, not so much.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#31 OFFLINE   mpaquette

mpaquette

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

The other day there were still 2 hr24s for sale in buy/sell/trade. Sure, he was asking $300 (plus access card fee etc), but owned with no contract. You don't have to have a commitment.

Thanks for the tip. Guess I need to look around more often because I didn't realize there was a buy/sell/trade section.

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's in the dbstalk club forum. Only club members can start a thread there, but everyone has read access or can respond.

#33 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've had D* for TV and Time Warner/Roadrunner strictly for internet for about 5 years, when I purchased my home. Just know that TW is highly unlikely to offer any kind of deal or monthly price break if you only have one service with them. Since you now have phone and 'net they may be willing to work with you on some price break that may offset some of your cost of splitting off the TV service to a separate carrier.

#34 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

The only thing I dislike about Directv is the 2 year committment. I

I don't know if it's a national thing, but T-W cable in this area is requiring a 2 year commitment for their most advanced services like their version of the whole home setup.

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I know of some people that have a commitment just for particular pricing, one of which has had the same box for 8 years. He moved and had service moved to his new house. They charged him a termination fee. I think he's still trying to get that back after 3 months.

#36 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

We probably wont have a problem with that since I have to keep the 50MBPS connection from them for my job.

#37 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Havent they updated the boxes with the new guide? I have read that that has made it faster

#38 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

DirecTV gives me better service from 45,000 miles away than Time Warner does from ten miles away.

How is the picture quality?

#39 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I thought SignatureHoe was supposed to come with personal advisors for issues?

At least here, there is a big difference between picture quality, DirecTV wins hands down and the DVRs can store more hours to boot.

Yeah, it does but, they are really just regular support techs. The people who come to your house are assigned for just SignatureHome but not on the phone. And, they dont even know what is going on. All they say is we will swap the box.

And how is the HD Guide compared to TWC?

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

A friend of mine went from TWC to Directv, and the video quality definitely increased, as did his recording space, at least on HD.

As for the HD GUI, I'm not that familiar with TWCs, other than I hate their putting the HD channels by themselves on highh numbers.

For a look at the GUI, take a look at the document linked in the first post here
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197205

Keep in mind, that was the first version, there have been a few tweaks since then and Pandora added.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...