Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get DirecTV or stay with Time Warner?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,170 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

And I'm getting 27/14 from my phone co, only supposed to get 10 up. 50 and 100 too rich for me, but we're getting off topic :)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

And I'm getting 27/14 from my phone co, only supposed to get 10 up. 50 and 100 too rich for me, but we're getting off topic :)

Well, I have to have the 50 for my job. I use some bandwidth-intensive programs on my computer. But, I am thinking about getting 30/5 anyway because it is expensive.

But, when you order a movie from DirecTV, is it 1080P just like BluRays? And, what receivers did you end up getting?

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,170 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

It's not like a Bluray as those are uncompressed. I don't think a VOD movie downloads in the neighborhood of 20gb per movie.

When I went to HD, I got an HR20 and an H20. My wife replaced the H20 with an HR22 when MRV came out, then I added an H25 and finally replaced the DVRs with an HR34. I'm not exactly average, but more so than some on here :)

#54 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

It's not like a Bluray as those are uncompressed.

BluRay is compressed with Mpeg4

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#55 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,170 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Well video is compressed, audio usually uncompressed, at least the primary track. Both can be important for blu ray fans.

#56 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

It's not like a Bluray as those are uncompressed. I don't think a VOD movie downloads in the neighborhood of 20gb per movie.

When I went to HD, I got an HR20 and an H20. My wife replaced the H20 with an HR22 when MRV came out, then I added an H25 and finally replaced the DVRs with an HR34. I'm not exactly average, but more so than some on here :)

How do you like the HR34? Is it any good?

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,170 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

I like mine a lot, though there are some bugs they are working on.

#58 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

CUTTING EDGE

• Super Moderators
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

How do you like the HR34? Is it any good?

The HR34 is an awesome receiver, no more conflicts in that room.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#59 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Can you get the dish on a pole instead of having it on the house?

#60 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,607 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Can you get the dish on a pole instead of having it on the house?

Yes, but there will probably be extra cost involved. It will also depend on available line of sight to the satellites from the desired pole location.

#61 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes, but there will probably be extra cost involved. It will also depend on available line of sight to the satellites from the desired pole location.

Thanks. How is your service with DirecTV? Is the HD picture better than TWC? And, what about the new HD guide?

#62 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I definitely have to make a decision soon. I am watching the NBA on TNT and every test and picture is just pixelated.

#63 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Go for it and order the HR34 HMC, I upgraded to it recently and I'm glad I did. Some are still having a few issues with it, but pixelation isn't one of them. And it sounds like that's what your trying to eliminate. Going with DIRECTV will do that and give you one of the best HD pictures out there. SD isn't all that great, but I rarely watch SD stations anymore.

If you go with any other DVR its possible that you might have issues with speed/performance that you probably read about in other threads. I have the HR34 and HR22 and since the last couple HD GUI releases, I haven't had the performance issues others are having. I left Time Warner over 3 years ago and that's the best move I ever made. Although I recently switched back to their RR internet, for higher speeds.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#64 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

One more question. I dont know if I should keep my internet with TWC. CenturyLink is in my area but it is only for business. Has anyone used CenturyLink?

#65 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Thanks. How is your service with DirecTV? Is the HD picture better than TWC? And, what about the new HD guide?

Here in San Antonio, Direct TV HD is better than TWC.

My service with Direct has been very good up to now.

#66 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,607 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think it is safe to say that DirecTV HD picture quality will be equal to, or better than, any other service provider. Your comparison should be based on other aspects of the service (equipment, cost, channel availability, etc.).

#67 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

There must be a Best Buy in your area. Stop by and check the DirecTV feed for yourself. There's a phenomenon known as "paralysis by analysis" in which you over think the situation. Granted with satellite you do have a two year commitment, but they tend to give the store to first time sub. Check out the display, make sure DirecTV has the channels you want right now, and then pull the trigger or holster the gun.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#68 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I definitely have to make a decision soon. I am watching the NBA on TNT and every test and picture is just pixelated.

Have you tried to exchange your receiver? I know one time I had a problem where my picture would hiccup often. I thought it was a problem with TW. They came out and checked and fixed a problem in the main box outside, checkedthe wiring and the receiver. They made three calls to my home and nothing changed. Then I decided to go get another receiver and that fixed the problem.

Another problem I had with the DVR where it pixilated. I went and got another DVR and that corrected the problem. I blame the problem with both receivers on not enough ventilation. I then removed the cabinet's glass on both units to keep them from overheating after I figured out that that was what was messing up the units.

If I were you I would try that first and then take your time on deciding if you want to change providers. JUst go to the nearest TW center and exchange the box or call them to bring you one.

Edited by n3vino, 29 April 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#69 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Have you tried to exchange your receiver? I know one time I had a problem where my picture would hiccup often. I thought it was a problem with TW. They came out and checked and fixed a problem in the main box outside, checkedthe wiring and the receiver. They made three calls to my home and nothing changed. Then I decided to go get another receiver and that fixed the problem.

Another problem I had with the DVR where it pixilated. I went and got another DVR and that corrected the problem. I blame the problem with both receivers on not enough ventilation. I then removed the cabinet's glass on both units to keep them from overheating after I figured out that that was what was messing up the units.

If I were you I would try that first and then take your time on deciding if you want to change providers. JUst go to the nearest TW center and exchange the box or call them to bring you one.

We have had multiple boxes here. Also, they have put down new main feed lines to fix signal problems.

But, I do have a friend that used to work for TWC and he said that they are over compressing the HD signal because they do not have enough bandwidth to have all of the HD channels that they have.

They are more focused on Internet right now that they compress the HD picture so they can continue sending out the 50Mbps internet.

#70 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

There must be a Best Buy in your area. Stop by and check the DirecTV feed for yourself. There's a phenomenon known as "paralysis by analysis" in which you over think the situation. Granted with satellite you do have a two year commitment, but they tend to give the store to first time sub. Check out the display, make sure DirecTV has the channels you want right now, and then pull the trigger or holster the gun.

There is. I am thinking about going there today to look at the directv display.

#71 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

We have had multiple boxes here. Also, they have put down new main feed lines to fix signal problems.

But, I do have a friend that used to work for TWC and he said that they are over compressing the HD signal because they do not have enough bandwidth to have all of the HD channels that they have.

They are more focused on Internet right now that they compress the HD picture so they can continue sending out the 50Mbps internet.

And I believe TWC is taking the right approach. Their higher speed internet is why I recently switched from AT&T to TWC. (I can't get Uverse at my house, despite the fact that my neighbor next door has it?) I didn't go for the 50Mbps, just the 20Mbps with turbo boost. Its more then 3x's as fast as what I had. AT&T was rated 6Mbps, typical was 5Mbps, TWC rated at 20Mbps, typical 18Mbps.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the OP should go with DIRECTV over TWC for video.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#72 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

And I believe TWC is taking the right approach. Their higher speed internet is why I recently switched from AT&T to TWC. (I can't get Uverse at my house, despite the fact that my neighbor next door has it?) I didn't go for the 50Mbps, just the 20Mbps with turbo boost. Its more then 3x's as fast as what I had. AT&T was rated 6Mbps, typical was 5Mbps, TWC rated at 20Mbps, typical 18Mbps.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the OP should go with DIRECTV over TWC for video.

I agree with that as well. Ever since they have gotten faster speeds, it has been more reliable. But, they are also forgetting about the TV as well.

But, I think TWC is more focused on internet, which they should be. In my area, its TWC or AT&T. And the highest we can get is 1.5 Mbps. But, we can get 6Mbps with Business.

The 50Mbps is really great at downloading movies but, they have to stay focused on the TV part too.

#73 OFFLINE   CincyJen

CincyJen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

It's been almost two years since I left Time Warner Cincinnati and became a DirecTV subscriber. To this day, I tell people "I have no idea why I waited so long."

The DVR and user interface is vastly superior to those dinosaur Scientific Atlanta units I used to have from Time Warner. The channel selection is kick-ass. NFL NETWORK NFL NETWORK NFL NETWORK. Picture quality is amazing. 3D channels are free!

What are you waiting for? Best TV decision I ever made was quitting TW and going with DirecTV.

#74 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

I went from 6mbps dsl (actual 5mpbs) to 12 mbps UVERSE internet only (actual 11.5 mpbs. I'm able to stream netflix wirelessly using my Sony Blue Ray player with no problems at all. Once in a while, it will lose connection, but that's only on occasion. I use D* for tv.

#75 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

What plan do most of you have? I am thinking about getting the Choice Xtra plan with the HMC Dvr and 3 or 4 HD receivers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...