Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get DirecTV or stay with Time Warner?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Here in Dallas, DirecTV HD picture is better than TWC HD. SD is a little better on TWC.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

You asked about picture quality in your first post and I think you would have to see it for yourself, it's different in every location. Here they have a lot of HD channels but there are streaks that shoot through the screen and it looks terrible. My brother, parents and in-laws all have TWC HD in our city and have the same issue.

Yeah. They have a few more in HD than DirecTV. One of my friends used to work for Time Warner then he got DirecTV and he said that everytime a new HD channel will be added, TWC will reduce the bandwidth of the rest of them because they have limited bandwidth.

They just keep compressing the picture. And watching sports, it just awful. All you see is pixilation. Even on movies in VOD, its pixilated. I have seen better picture from Netflix than from TWC.

#43 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

A friend of mine went from TWC to Directv, and the video quality definitely increased, as did his recording space, at least on HD.

As for the HD GUI, I'm not that familiar with TWCs, other than I hate their putting the HD channels by themselves on highh numbers.

For a look at the GUI, take a look at the document linked in the first post here
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197205

Keep in mind, that was the first version, there have been a few tweaks since then and Pandora added.

TWC does not even have HD GUI. And I just found this out, everytime TWC puts on a new HD channel, they compress the rest of the HD channels even more than they should.

The only time I have seen TWC with great HD picture was about 2009-2010 where it was perfect. Then, all of the HD channels came and it just got worse and worse.

#44 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Here in Dallas, DirecTV HD picture is better than TWC HD. SD is a little better on TWC.

SD on TWC is not compressed. But, the HD on TWC is compressed so much that you cant really even watch it.

#45 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

BTW, how is the VOD content? Is it good quality since it is going over the internet?

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

The quality depends on your Internet speed, they have a few versions. They also do have some in 1080p if your set supports 1080p/24.

#47 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

If I were you, I would switch to DirecTV from TWC in a heartbeat, especially if you're dissatisfied with their service. Don't know why you'd stick with TWC for phone and internet, though, if they are problematic as well (unless you have no other alternative).

The only advantage I can see for TWC, at least in my area, is more basic HD channels. But, after seeing the HD on my friends' TWC boxes, I think the HD picture quality is better on DirecTV (SD is still crap, though). So if you value HD quality over quantity, then DirecTV is a better choice.

Add this to the fact that you can get a nice promotional rate by switching (and probably the latest and greatest equipment as well), and the decision is even easier...

Yeah, TWC is the only provider in my area. I actually dont care that TWC has a few more HD channels than DirecTV but, when you watch them, its like watching SD. Their HD is never clear.

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'd definitely switch. But then most of us are biased against cable. TWC is a company that said in ads here that their service was faster than the phone companys just because of the thickness of the cable and like you to think that a cloud or slight rain will make you lose signal.

#49 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

I'd definitely switch. But then most of us are biased against cable. TWC is a company that said in ads here that their service was faster than the phone companys just because of the thickness of the cable and like you to think that a cloud or slight rain will make you lose signal.

Yup, and really its the opposite. I have 50/5 on internet and if I do a speed test right now I am getting around 20-30. But, If I do a speed test around 12-1 I will hit 50 Mbps.

I bet AT&T has a more solid connection than TWC.

#50 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

And with DirecTV, I can get the HMC DVR (record 5 shows at once), actually rent a HD movie and see it in 1080P HD not pixlated HD, NFL Sunday Ticket, Movie Channels for free for 3 months. Thats a WHOLE lot more than TWC can provide me right now.

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

And I'm getting 27/14 from my phone co, only supposed to get 10 up. 50 and 100 too rich for me, but we're getting off topic :)

#52 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

And I'm getting 27/14 from my phone co, only supposed to get 10 up. 50 and 100 too rich for me, but we're getting off topic :)

Well, I have to have the 50 for my job. I use some bandwidth-intensive programs on my computer. But, I am thinking about getting 30/5 anyway because it is expensive.

But, when you order a movie from DirecTV, is it 1080P just like BluRays? And, what receivers did you end up getting?

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

It's not like a Bluray as those are uncompressed. I don't think a VOD movie downloads in the neighborhood of 20gb per movie.

When I went to HD, I got an HR20 and an H20. My wife replaced the H20 with an HR22 when MRV came out, then I added an H25 and finally replaced the DVRs with an HR34. I'm not exactly average, but more so than some on here :)

#54 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

It's not like a Bluray as those are uncompressed.

BluRay is compressed with Mpeg4

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#55 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Well video is compressed, audio usually uncompressed, at least the primary track. Both can be important for blu ray fans.

#56 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

It's not like a Bluray as those are uncompressed. I don't think a VOD movie downloads in the neighborhood of 20gb per movie.

When I went to HD, I got an HR20 and an H20. My wife replaced the H20 with an HR22 when MRV came out, then I added an H25 and finally replaced the DVRs with an HR34. I'm not exactly average, but more so than some on here :)

How do you like the HR34? Is it any good?

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

I like mine a lot, though there are some bugs they are working on.

#58 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

How do you like the HR34? Is it any good?

The HR34 is an awesome receiver, no more conflicts in that room.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#59 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Can you get the dish on a pole instead of having it on the house?

#60 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,055 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Can you get the dish on a pole instead of having it on the house?

Yes, but there will probably be extra cost involved. It will also depend on available line of sight to the satellites from the desired pole location.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...