Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get DirecTV or stay with Time Warner?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Maybe they changed their mind about where to install Uverse, when They moved their headquarters from San Antonio to Dallas. ;) As I mentioned, my next door neighbor has Uverse, but I can't get it. And on my decision to switch to TWC for internet, speed was more important then not changing due to my dislike in dealing with their CSR's.

I actually had RoadRunner through TWC in Virginia and fully expected and wanted it here in San Antonio. Called them when I got to town and bought a house. Got a "We'll get back to you". OK two weeks later and I didn't hear from them so I called again. Answer was "We don't service your neighborhood." Fine so I go to my new neighbor and ask him what cable service he has and it was TWC and got a "That's their box in the corner of our yards." I call back to TWC and they say they'll send out a supervisor to check. Never heard another thing from them and don't want to now. Won't say never but right now, even after all these years, I'm still in the "bite me" mode. :nono2::)
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

One more question. After the 2 year contract is up, can I resign so I can keep the low pricing without paying regular price? Would I be able to get new boxes and equipment?

#83 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

One more question. After the 2 year contract is up, can I resign so I can keep the low pricing without paying regular price? Would I be able to get new boxes and equipment?

If you sign up and they don't have a price guarantee for 2 years, the price will actually go up next year around March. And there is no way to sign another contract and get the same price as when you signed up. It goes up every year about 3% to 4%. You can call after your contract is up and say its now costing too much and I'm thinking of going to cable. They will probably send you to a retention csr and you may be able to get them to give you a monthly credit. Like $10/mo for 12 or 24 mo's.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#84 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

No and no. Once the promo runs out you pay regular price. You also use the equipment you got in the beginning. I suppose to could call them and try to finagle updated equipment but chances are they will let you cancel rather than change out your entire system.

After reading many (maybe all) of your questions, I am revising my opinion. Stay with TWC. I can see this turning into one complaint after another.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#85 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Xsabresx may be right, because its not like cable. For example, you are locked in for 24 mo's or you pay a cancellation fee of $20/mo for the # of months remaining. If your DVR dies, you pay $20 shipping and handling and have to replace it yourself. If you don't get the protection plan, service calls are like $60. So make sure your willing to accept that before you sign up.

I didn't have an issue with my DVR until it was 3+ years old. And then I was able to get an HR 34, MRV and install for free. I had to sign another 2yr contract, but it was worth it. If you can accept the above possible fees, I suggest you sign up for 2 years. Then you can cancel or suspend for up to 6 months and get back on cable while you decide what you want to do. After that you either cancel and ship equipment back or start service back up.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#86 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

For 199 per month, I get whole home dvr (2 dvrs), digital phone, 50 mps internet, and all premium channels (except for Starz). The picture quality is very good, and I have more national HD channels than I had with Directv. I suppose it depends on the area from which one gets service from TWC, but for me it is very good. No rain fade, snow fade, etc. This is the regular price, not promotion except for movie channels which are included for a year at a time when you use your AMEX card on auto pay.

Edited by jal, 27 May 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#87 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Right now, we have Time Warner's SignatureHome and we have constant problems with channels going out, internet and phone going out for a few mins...

For 199 per month, I get whole home dvr (2 dvrs), digital phone, 50 mps internet, and all permium channels (except for Starz).

Congrats jail, you have the same package as the thread starter. Seems the difference is you're happy and Jordan claimed not to be. It's been awhile since we've heard from him and it seems that his "DirecTV vs. Dish" accomplished not much more than stir up both camps, so I'm wondering if that might have been the original intent of membership.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#88 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

On the 12th, he said he had DirecTV service, was having trouble with a D12.

#89 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

I can record 6 things at once on cable with my InfiniTV 6 for $2 in equipment fees (versus $40+ with DirecTV). And I have 30 more HD channels than DirecTV for a lot less money. I get a 3 hr by 11 channel guide view with channel icons, unlimited recording space, every streaming provider, full web browser, the list goes on and on. So I say keep cable.

#90 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I can record 6 things at once on cable with my InfiniTV 6 for $2 in equipment fees (versus $40+ with DirecTV). And I have 30 more HD channels than DirecTV for a lot less money. I get a 3 hr by 11 channel guide view with channel icons, unlimited recording space, every streaming provider, full web browser, the list goes on and on. So I say keep cable.

$40? How do you get that high?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#91 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

mdavej forgets to factor in the amortization of all the ancillary equipment in his setup when he calculates his costs....while it is an impressive sounding setup, it does have lost of other costs here as well.

#92 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

I wish they'd get U-verse out our way here in San Antonio. A few years ago they came around the area...actually a nearby HEB grocery store....with their sales trailer and were telling us it would just be a matter of months before our neighborhood here in Canyon Springs would be ready....right....some four or five years later and we still don't have it. No plans to drop DirecTV and I wouldn't go with TWC for anything but I'd love to get the faster Internet.

Interesting that this thread came to the surface.  A year and a half ago we didn't have U-verse in our community.  Apparently they've been working on the infrastructure and as of  yesterday I now have U-verse Internet in my house.  I refuse to work with TWC so I've been using DSL for the better part of ten years.  New test show a significant increase in speed and while not up to TWC and RoadRunner speeds much better than our old DSL.  Still no U-verse TV in our community but I'm not interested in switching from DirecTV so that's not an issue. 

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#93 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

$40? How do you get that high?

5 TVs. $40 is actually on the low side. A new sub would pay $25 for the first plus 4x$6=$24 for a total of $49.

True, I didn't factor in equipment costs. $130 at each TV plus $500 for a cheap PC with tuner card. Everything after year 2 is gravy.

In my case equip costs are actually much less. Buying most parts used, I really only spent $50 per TV and $400 for PC and tuner.

Not sure how much a Genie plus 4 clients would run, but I'm guessing $300 or so.

#94 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Not sure how much a Genie plus 4 clients would run, but I'm guessing $300 or so.

Free for new subs.  and current subs might also qualify for fee Genie

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#95 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

Wow, that's nice. I would have expected only the first client or 2 for free. Sounds like upgrade time for my parents.

#96 OFFLINE   boogie

boogie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Over the years I've been a customer of most TV providers (Cox, Dish, Time Warner, UVerse, Directv). Out of them all, I prefer Directv. HD service has been around for many years now and it amazes me that Time Warner still uses different channel numbers for SD and HD feeds. So many people watch their local channels in SD because they don't know the HD version is buried WAY DOWN in the guide!

#97 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

I priced TWC when my two-year FiOS contract was up last month.

TWC was $40 higher than FiOS renewal price. It was also roughly $40 higher than going back to DirecTV.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#98 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

I pay $62.53 a month in fees with Directv

Advanced receiver fee. $25

5 rooms $24

Protection Plan $7.99

RSN fee $2

PA sales Tax  $3.54

$65.18 is what Cable would cost me, but I wouldn't get whole home DVR either.

Or the equipment I want.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#99 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

It needs to be noted that Time Warner Cable varies significantly from town to town. I just saw my friend's new TWC DVR tonight. I am shocked as to it's speed and how good the interface is, nothing like when I left them a few years ago. My slow HR34 is frustrating and glitchy. I was surprised to see the HD and SD were mixed, but the HD-only channels were still only in the 1000s.

ESPN Goal Line, Pac12, NFL Network. The PQ is better than it used to be, too, but still not Directv's quality. The Guide is now black like ours and FAR easier to read with more on the screen at a time. I wish I had grabbed a screenshot. (But no OTA module or Sunday Ticket, the latter will keep me loyal to D*.)

But in some areas, just a few miles in the other direction, it's still the same primitive system it was a few years ago.

Edited by ejbvt, 16 November 2013 - 09:50 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#100 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

I pay $62.53 a month in fees with Directv

Advanced receiver fee. $25

5 rooms $24

Protection Plan $7.99

RSN fee $2

PA sales Tax  $3.54

$65.18 is what Cable would cost me, but I wouldn't get whole home DVR either.

Or the equipment I want.

Here's what I pay for the same setup with cable (minus RSN):

Cable Card $2

Tax $0.12

Protection Plan (don't need it)

I get whole home DVR and the equipment I want because it's all my equipment. Since I'm saving $60-something in fees, that's about $700 per year I can use to pay for my own equipment. In my case, my HTPC, tuner card, and 4 client boxes (5th connected directly to HTPC) were paid off in the first year. Plus I get 30 more HD channels than I had on DirecTV. And some are even in a lower tier than they would be with DirecTV, like Sundance HD and Smithsonian HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...