Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wireless range problem in my house

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Another question, when/if this gets up and running, while on my iPad I can see which IP address it's using for the Router in the settings for wifi network. So my main router works fine in the living room for my iPad and I see it's IP (192.168.20.105). So, when/if this works in the bedroom will I see the AP's IP listed in this same section (192.168.20.110)? Thx.

Your router is still going to be *.105. Your router is still the DCHP server, where your internet device(s) will get their information in order to connect to the internet. You will use the *.110 address to configure the access point, but that's about it. Your access point should be seamlessly integrated into the rest of your network, once it's up and running...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Still no luck. Going to look elsewhere for help. Hopefully I can find someone that is using the same setup (no DD-WRT) that can guide me. Thanks!

#43 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Success finally!!! I ended up switching my main router (WRT54G2) with the newly purchased refurb (WRT160N). So the WRT54G2 ended up being my access point. I didn't mess with any of the gateway or dns info. Why it worked when I swapped them, I have no idea...the configuration was the same.

To anyone having this same problem, the following is what worked for me:

Main Router (from Modem)
Basic Setup Tab...
Local IP Address: 192.168.20.110 (I made this number up)
Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
DHCP Server: Enable
Wireless Settings Tab...
Wireless Configuration: Manual
Network Mode: Mixed
Network Name (SSID): make up your own here
Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal
SSID Broadcast: Disable
Encryption: TKIP or AES
Passphrase: make up your own here
Administration Tab...
Router Password: make up your own here

2nd Router (Access Point)
Basis Setup Tab...
Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Local IP Address: 192.168.20.105 (I made this number up)
DHCP Server: Disable
Wireless Settings Tab...
Wireless Configuration: Manual
Network Mode: Mixed
Network Name (SSID): use the same as the Main Router
Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal
SSID Broadcast: Disable
Encryption: TKIP or AES
Passphrase: use the same as the Main Router
Administration Tab...
Router Password: use the same as the Main Router

Remember to select SAVE on each screen that you make the above changes on. I left everything else as the default factory settings. I hope anyone else struggling will find this info useful. Good luck!!

Thanks again to everyone for all the tips and advise. I really appreciate it!!

Edited by beagan, 28 April 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

In the wireless settings you probably want to manually set both routers to use the same channel numbers. That should allow you to seamlessly move between the two routers. At least that's what works with my pair of AirPort Extreme's.

#45 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I have a new concern on this topic. The access point has been working great and I am very pleased with taking these steps to increase my wireless range. However, I have one problem. My Kindle Fire doesn't seem to want to recognize the access point. I can tell by the poor strength of signal it's still trying to reach my main router when I'm in my bedroom. As I walk down the hallway towards my router the signal strength increases. I thought perhaps the access point needed to be rebooted. But then popped out my iPad and that works flawlessly, super fast speed in the bedroom. So, the question is, why does the iPad work great in that room (right next to the access point), but the Kindle Fire doesn't? I found some posts online stating that there may be a limitation to a single device, but I'm not sure how to confirm that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#46 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

I have a new concern on this topic. The access point has been working great and I am very pleased with taking these steps to increase my wireless range. However, I have one problem. My Kindle Fire doesn't seem to want to recognize the access point. I can tell by the poor strength of signal it's still trying to reach my main router when I'm in my bedroom. As I walk down the hallway towards my router the signal strength increases. I thought perhaps the access point needed to be rebooted. But then popped out my iPad and that works flawlessly, super fast speed in the bedroom. So, the question is, why does the iPad work great in that room (right next to the access point), but the Kindle Fire doesn't? I found some posts online stating that there may be a limitation to a single device, but I'm not sure how to confirm that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Try disconnecting the network on the Kindle Fire and then tell it to connect to your network again as if it was a new device. The WAP should not have a limitation of one device.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#47 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that today (again) and it worked. When I tried it the first time yesterday, it was still trying to connect to the further away router. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I'll see how it goes for the next week or so. Thanks!

#48 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that today (again) and it worked. When I tried it the first time yesterday, it was still trying to connect to the further away router. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I'll see how it goes for the next week or so. Thanks!

No problem.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...